Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pedal Recall..are You Worried?

waxxy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reece

• waxxy

• Parts-King

• Raeman

Try This Link (Original prob to big to copy over) or from here click on sub link of that page displayed as = "TTAC’s Complete Guide To Toyota’s Gas Pedals: Teardown, Pictures, Toyota’s Fix, Analysis, Commentary"

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ttacs-com...sis-commentary/

I’d rather Toyota change the whole pedal assembly for the type that are not affected than have a metal plate stuffed under the spring with a screwdriver!

I wonder how much a new pedal costs.

It's a little more than $400, so that would be over 250 pounds for you. So don't expect Mr. T to be doling these out like candy. In the recall notice over here, it states that if the customer doesn't like the feel of the pedal after the fix, Toyota will replace the pedal assembly. But only for those who complain.

Update: Given that Toyota has acknowledged that these pedal assemblies cost them $15, it would obviously be cheaper (and more reliable) to swap out the CTS units with the Denso unit rather than this fussier and riskier fix. The problem is time; it could take many months if not a year or more to change tooling and produce 2.3 million units. Meanwhile, making these shims was obviously something that a stamping manufacturer could do in days.

The Above is a direct copy of a quote from the commentary entitled = "TTAC’s Complete Guide To Toyota’s Gas Pedals: Teardown, Pictures, Toyota’s Fix, Analysis, Commentary" --- On the "The Truth About Cars" - USA Web Site

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ttac-does...lution-at-best/

£250 or £12 take you pick - - - The Truth is Out There Somewhere

What is the consensus of opinion of the members of this Forum that have already had this Procedure carried out, Does the Pedal Feel any Different?

• 2 weeks later...
A Complete Guide To Toyota’s Accelerator Pedals: Stripdown, Pictures, Toyota’s Fix, Analysis, Commentary. =

Dead link...

If anyone is interested in details of the Lexus 911 crash that started this whole mess (more or less) - I have the crash investigation report and an additional police report - it contains details that major networks leave out. Very interesting reading - especially the section on the gas pedal and the vehicles recent history.

thanks.

carquestions.ca

If anyone is interested in details ...

OK, where is it?

I received a letter from Toyota that my 2010 Avensis is not affected, even if it has such a CTS pedal.

Even if it was affected, I wouldn't be worried at all because every licensed driver should be competent enough to handle a "sticking pedal".

If it would stick, it sticks in the position (or slowly eases from the position-) your foot leaves it and does NOT suddenly cause the full 150 or more bhp to apply to the drive train and accelerate on its own. :blink:

I've owned 17 cars over the last 40 or so years, including Mercedes, Volvo, Renault, VW, Ford (...), Peugeot, BMWs, etc. most of them from new.

And now for the first time a Toyota, and for the first time I was faced with a possible recall.

Is there anyone who thinks that the above named brands were perfect and never had a recall?

Most brands keep their imperfections silent and do their modifications when your car is in for service.

Those who have access to their technical service information will know what I mean.

I admire Toyota for their guts, to publicly admit that there is a remote possibility that some pedals might stick and recall them by the thousands.

But it happens all the time and everywhere.

People make mistakes, production processes go wrong, material fails, or whatever.

As long as these problems in production are quickly dealt with the way Toyota does now, that's fine by me.

Confidence restored and improved. :thumbsup:

BTW, anyone cares to guess the percentage of all parts that finally form a "Toyota" car, are actually made by Toyota themselves? :rolleyes:

The news always blows small stories straight out of proportion, and this is another perfect example. You'd think every Toyota ever created was about to sieize up and kill you if only listening to the news, which is quite frankly ridiculous. We have three cars at our household, and guess what, they're all Toyotas.

We have a Yaris 1.3 53 reg (so unaffected), but then a Yaris 1.8 SR 57 reg and an Avensis 58 reg. Now, we have been driving both cars due for recall for a good two years previous without fault and because of a couple of minor hitches, every Toyota is deemed rubbish. I can say with confidence that Toyota make amazing cars in every aspect and still drive my cars with 100% confidence that i'm not about to suddenly explode into flames, or my accelerator pedal will get stuck.

I will continue to purchase Toyotas in the future and hope others will too, I have my eye on the new coming Celica to arrive soon :)

Many thanks

Bob

Out of CTS total production, Toyota account for only 6% of their sales, in other words 94% are fitted to other makes. Might not be effected but still makes you think.

lol i love that post, small stories straight out of proportion :lol: sticking gas pedals and no brakes is hardly small

toyotas are good cars but dont become denfensive and cocksure,if it were any of manufacture you would be straight on the band wagon! and thats all of you not just my favorite poster. recalls cost btw so it must be a large number any slighty more likey than remote. toyotas are good dont misunderstand me but dont become blind to this just because the Badge on your hood is indeed toyota B)

lol i love that post, small stories straight out of proportion :lol: sticking gas pedals and no brakes is hardly small

toyotas are good cars but dont become denfensive and cocksure,if it were any of manufacture you would be straight on the band wagon! and thats all of you not just my favorite poster. recalls cost btw so it must be a large number any slighty more likey than remote. toyotas are good dont misunderstand me but dont become blind to this just because the badge on your hood is indeed toyota B)

I'm not sure people are being that "defensive or cocksure", I've absolutely no complaints about Toyota even though my Yaris has been recalled twice now. The possibility of a sticking throttle is pretty remote - how many have been reported in UK? I have had the problem of a floormat keeping the accelerator fully down on a Mercedes A Class - an interesting experience in an automatic.

My Toyota has been completely problem free, something I couldn't accuse my last two Volkswagens of (a company I would never buy a car from again). I suspect many others have had other makes of car in the past, and are more than impressed with Toyota in comparison,

TERKIN.....Toyota should be commended for the professional manner which they have shown over these overblown problems i think.

Loads of cars have recalls every year but as Toyota is the worlds largest car manufacturer, they unfortunately get more grief over these things!

They have been open and as honest as possible to sort these issues with customers. Look at other car manufacturers and the recalls they have, Renault with the Clio bonnet and now the new Jazz with it's rear window switch that can catch fire!

These manufacturers have not been as open and as honest as Toyota have.

Not one person on this Yaris forum that i know of has had a sticking throttle pedal and even if the thing did stick, a driver should be competant enough to deal with it accordingly. Clutch in, select neutral and calmy brake to the side of the road then switch the thing off. Hardly rocket science to understand that, just common sense.

And i don't just say this because i have a Toyota Badge on my car or because i am a no1 Toyota fan. Infact i have allways been a Honda fan more than Toyota but you can't knock them for the way they are dealing with these issues! :)

If i had a new Yaris i wouldn't be put off driving it at all. Or a Prius for that matter.

I agree with Raeman, Toyota seem to have been made scapegoats especially by the American government (who's interests lie with their own failing car manufacturers) but like Raeman says 'Hats off' to Toyota for coming clean, you didn't hear in the media about BMW's recalls on the X5 and X6 with serious faults such as "Brakes may fail," "Airbag may deploy inadvertently" and the "Brake pedals becoming detatched". How about the Audi Q5 and the TT's with the possibility of the "Interior trim becoming detatched causing injury" or the A8's "Airbags not deploying in an impact" Volvo's have suffered from the "Accellerator pedals not returning to resting position" and the "Rear wheels loosening".

The list is almost endless, just visit VOSA vehicle recalls.

finally got my car booked in for the recall - earliest my local dealer could do it is April 6th...

Lets hope I don't end up in a ditch between now and then....!

(that last comment is heavily laced with sarcasm before anyone asks...)

Got my recall notices this week for my Yarii. They are due "2-year" dealer services in June and September, so rang to check whether there was any pressure from Toyota or the dealer to get this done before then or whether dealer was happy to wait and do it when they went in for services.

No pressure at all from dealer to get done quickly and no "end date" for completion, so I'm leaving mine until the cars are in for their next services....

What is the consensus of opinion of the members of this Forum that have already had this Procedure carried out, Does the Pedal Feel any Different?

My 1.8 SR was not effected, but the wifes 1.4D was. Hers was done 2 weeks ago and since then in first gear its very very juddery. You get next to no clutch control, and as a consiquence its going back next Wednesday and if they say "no fault found" then I will be rejecting their recall pedal.

They should not be able to change parts due to their own negligence and then leave you with a car that feels different than before. We have both driven the car and its next to imposible to perform any drving in 1st hear smoothly.

Today though we did receive £20 M&S vouchers from Mr Toyota - nice - but would still rather our car feel the same as previously.

• 2 months later...

My 1.8 SR was not effected, but the wifes 1.4D was. Hers was done 2 weeks ago and since then in first gear its very very juddery. You get next to no clutch control, and as a consiquence its going back next Wednesday and if they say "no fault found" then I will be rejecting their recall pedal.

They should not be able to change parts due to their own negligence and then leave you with a car that feels different than before. We have both driven the car and its next to imposible to perform any drving in 1st hear smoothly.

Today though we did receive £20 M&S vouchers from Mr Toyota - nice - but would still rather our car feel the same as previously.

I know this is an old topic but we had the work done on the pedal recall today and just like 'alfiejts' we were told that there was no immediate rush to get it done and that is why we waited untill the MOT was due, it has now covered 51 miles since the mod and so far I can confirm that pedal on ours does not feel any different.

Hers was done 2 weeks ago and since then in first gear its very very juddery. You get next to no clutch control, and as a consiquence its going back next Wednesday and if they say "no fault found" then I will be rejecting their recall pedal.

It’s the accelerator pedal which has had the modification which would have no connection to clutch control or juddery first gear.

There have been separate issues with the first gear judder, maybe Mr T should be looking at the gear box/clutch area instead?

Indeed. My car judders sometimes when I pull away in first.

Usualy a contaminated clutch or you are driving badly, trying to accelerate too fast with rubbish control of the gas/clutch. (I am sure you are not the latter)! :drool:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links