Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wheel Seized On Hub

kevin65

Decided to remove all wheels today and put some copper grease on the hubs to keep the wheels from seizing on them and guess what? The rear passenger wheel is seized solid! It just wouldn't budge. I put a plank of timber against the back of the wheel and hit it a few whacks with a hammer but was afraid of damaging the rear brake/suspension. I finally gave up and sprayed WD40 on it.

Plan of trying again tomorrow, but what is the best way to remove a seized wheel without causing any damage?

Decided to remove all wheels today and put some copper grease on the hubs to keep the wheels from seizing on them and guess what? The rear passenger wheel is seized solid! It just wouldn't budge. I put a plank of timber against the back of the wheel and hit it a few whacks with a hammer but was afraid of damaging the rear brake/suspension. I finally gave up and sprayed WD40 on it.

Plan of trying again tomorrow, but what is the best way to remove a seized wheel without causing any damage?

You could try hiring a hydraulic drawing tool from HSS or the likes....look similar to THIS, will save money in the long run ;)

loosen the wheel nuts (do not take them off!) get in the car roll the car back and forth a couple of times that might just do it (WARNING!!! DO NOT TRAVEL MORE THAN A COUPLE OF FEET AS YOU COULD DO SOME SERIOUS DAMAGE)

I come accross this at work every other day, two ways we do it.

1. With the car supprted on a trolley jack (a large garage one) we give the tyre... not the wheel, a good whack with a heavy car/hammer (we got a sledge hammer) and the pop off after a hit or two.. you might need to rotate the wheel while hitting it. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH A SIDE jack OR SMALL Halfords TYPE TROLLEY jack AS THE CAR COULD EASILY FALL OFF AND YOU GET HURT.

2. As said above, loosen the wheel nuts by 2 or 3 threads... just enough to allow minimal movement of the wheel, drive forward sharply and hammer on the breaks, with the wheel nuts away from the wheel slightly, the wheel will still want to roll forwards (or backwards) when the car comes to a sudden stop, this momentum should realese the wheel from the hub.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Hopefully the WD40 overnight will help, I'll try loosening the wheel nuts and driving and applying the brakes and if this fails, then I'll try the hammer again. Just saw an article on the web where someone used a scissors jack behind the offending wheel the prise it off, using a timber prop behind the jack which is held by the opposite wheel. If plan A and B aren't working, this could be plan C. Plan D is going to a garage to get a big man with a big hammer to remove it for me :D

WD40 isn't really a penetrating fluid, it's a lubricant.

So it moght not work as good as you'd have wanted...

Had the same issue when I was changing my wheels round, and did what has already been suggested and loosened the wheel ever so slightly and drove 2 feet before breaking heavily.

This loosened it nicely and it came off with out any issues.

Just got the wheel off. Got a plank of wood and wrapped a blanket round it to act as a cushion, held it against the back of the wheel and gave it a couple of belts of a lump hammer. I forgot I even had a lump hammer till I tripped over it in the shed this afternoon! Think the WD40 may have helped.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

GIDDLEPIN,

I had a look at the pullers, but a pretty large one would be needed I think as the only anchor points you could use on wheel would be the holes around the inner edge. Must have a look the next time I'm in the local tool suppliers.

However, it would be a good idea of car manufacturers left threaded holes in the rim so you could screw the wheels studs in and prise the wheel off. Have seen this on the waterpump on my old BMW.

Time to wash the car now. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links