Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica - First Gear Problem

godzuki

Hello

When I take off in 1st gear, I need to rev the car to atleast 2000 RPM or else the car will stall

[i.e. The car will labour and eventually stall if I do not give it a little extra juice].

Is this normal? I've only ever driven my own celica.

Just before I bought the car, the spark plugs were replaced.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John C

Hello

When I take off in 1st gear, I need to rev the car to atleast 2000 RPM or else the car will stall

[i.e. The car will labour and eventually stall if I do not give it a little extra juice].

Is this normal? I've only ever driven my own celica.

Just before I bought the car, the spark plugs were replaced.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John C

what gen and model is it?

If you pull off you need to raise the clutch slower... I'm not trying to tell you how to drive, i know what you mean but i can hold it on the bite @ 1 - 1.5k rpm on a hill and still pull off.

In 2nd say at 1k rpm if you floored it would it pick up ok?

Thanks for the tips: I agree, raising the clutch slowly does help. However, I'd occassionally like to be able to take off a little faster (without risk of stalling) and perform a hill start (without over reving - due to fear of stalling).

I amend what I previously said: atleast 1.5K RPM, in 1st gear, are needed to take off (without stalling the car). If I try to take off at 1K RPM, the car will definitely stall. I guess this isn't too high.... but I'm not used to having to rev so high to take off.

I've not tried flooring it in 2nd at 1K RPM, as suggested. But I will let ya know.

Could spark plugs influence the amount of fuel/revs needed to take off?

Also, what's the normal urban/city milage per tank of petrol? For a full tank, I average about 310 miles (give or take). Given that the fuel capacity is 55L (or 12.2222 Gallons), this works out at about 25 MPG - which is a little lower than predicted? [thou', still good for a sports car]?

Thanks in advance,

John

I would of thought you would get more like 30Mpg.. I get 19Mpg but i use lift (6-8rpm) alot.

Try it in 2nd and see what happens. I could understand more if it was the 190 engine becuase they haven't got much low down power but you should still be able to pull of easily.

Hey there

I'm not really bothered too much about the reduced MPG. THou', the higher the better. I've have generic spark plugs fitted (thou', car seems to go).... and hope that these ain't the source of my problems.

Could spark plugs influence fuel consumption and the amount of gas required to take off in 1st gear?

Oli, I floored the car in 2nd gear, and it took off no problems.

Any comments gratefully received.

John

Hey there

I'm not really bothered too much about the reduced MPG. THou', the higher the better. I've have generic spark plugs fitted (thou', car seems to go).... and hope that these ain't the source of my problems.

Could spark plugs influence fuel consumption and the amount of gas required to take off in 1st gear?

Oli, I floored the car in 2nd gear, and it took off no problems.

Any comments gratefully received.

John

If the car when in 2nd then i don't know.

It's harder to move the car in 2nd? Maybe you just need to get used to driving the car?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links