Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Side Wall Damage

Space Monkey

Morning all,

Hit a curb on sat night and took a small chunk out of my front left tyre, theres a flap now.

Its not losing air and any extreme rate (topped to 30psi on sat night when wheel was hot, checked this morning cold it was 28psi, diff between cold and hot could account for 2psi?).

How serious do you think it is? Has anyone repaired a side wall with a garage?

If it's the sidewall you need to change the tyre.

Can't be repaired.

Don't take any chances, it can blow out.

If it was my car I'd immediately replace both tyres on that axle.

-But I have the hindisght of being put into three trees after a front tyre blow out.

The reason the recommendation is to change it is because that part of the tyre is now weaker than the rest, and could bulge out or burst if you e.g. hit a pothole or go over a speed bump too fast.

If it's only a tiny sliver you might be able to get away with it, but if it's a fairly thick chunk then that's bad. TBH, safest thing is to change it. It is a pain tho', esp. if the tyre is hardly worn! :(

about 8 month old toyo proxy tr1......

im only replacing that one, not doing both as theres hardly any wear on the others

about 8 month old toyo proxy tr1......

im only replacing that one, not doing both as theres hardly any wear on the others

Wise move.

The reason the recommendation is to change it is because that part of the tyre is now weaker than the rest, and could bulge out or burst if you e.g. hit a pothole or go over a speed bump too fast.

If it's only a tiny sliver you might be able to get away with it, but if it's a fairly thick chunk then that's bad. TBH, safest thing is to change it. It is a pain tho', esp. if the tyre is hardly worn! :(

Without inspecting the damage it's impossible to give the correct advice, as for the tyre being likely to bulge.. it's the nylon cords etc that run through the sidewall that give a tyre it's strenght, if these aren't damaged then tyre integraty isn't affected, however the rubber on the sidewall protects the cords so any damage here has potential consequensies.

A tyre with a small chunk out of the sidewall can still pass an MOT as long as the cords aren't showing, this doesn't mean it's safe to drive though, best thing would be to get it inspected by a qualified fitter who can advise the best course of action, it may just be a small part of the kerbing band thats damaged (which is what it is designed for) and shouldn't be a problem, or it could be the actuall sidewall in which case it has potential to be more of a serious issue.

saw my mechanic last night, he said he gets dozens of cases like mine. said its totally fine and the cords werent showing.

glued it back down and sent me on my way. i asked if it was worth getting some strong resin to cover over it, asked if the structural integrity was compromised, if i should watch my speed......

he just smiled and said it was ok. guess i can stick that £100 back in my savings :-)

just goes to show the worst doesnt always happen..... thanks for all the advice though guys

Good news.

The thing is on here without actually seeing the damage all the advice is advisory, so better to check it at least then someone actually gets to look at it.

As long as you are happy :unsure:

The tyre is still not in the same condition as the other 3, so you are betting £100 against a blow out & the dire consequences of that :(

Have you one of the skinny "get you home" spares ? If not, why not put on the spare & use the damaged one as spare ? :yes:

£100.00 Verses Your life and the lives of people around you if it all goes wrong, I couldn't live with that :fear:

When I managed an HGV workshop I quite often took vehicles for test with slight sidewall cuts and they did indeed pass as long as no cords were present, I remember once checking a cut with my trusty blunt electrical screwdriver and it suddenly started hissing as I touched cords.....................The tyre was replaced as well as my underkecks :lol:

When I managed an HGV workshop I quite often took vehicles for test with slight sidewall cuts and they did indeed pass as long as no cords were present, I remember once checking a cut with my trusty blunt electrical screwdriver and it suddenly started hissing as I touched cords.....................The tyre was replaced as well as my underkecks :lol:

Never a wise move to stick your blunt object into a slit your not sure about. :lol:

im going to replace it, but just not as urgently.

i get paid at the end of the month so going to get a new one then.

the spare is a 15", and my wheels are 17's so might just bin the tyre