Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door Locks

Brillo

Hi all,

I have a new Avensis which is 3 weeks old. I had a new one 3 years ago as I have 3 year lease through work. A new feature on this model is that when I drive all the doors lock automaticaly. However when I stop & get out of the vehicle the rear passengers cannot. The child locks are not on either. Neither can I open the door from the outside either. They are stuck inside looking like prisoners & longing to get out of the vehicle.

I can only let them out pressing the unlock button on the door consol or key. They have to rely on me.

I have looked in the owners manual which told me to put the key in the ignition lock & press the unlock button for 5 seconds. I have done this on numerous occasions & lock button too. It didn't work! My brother & a work colleague tried too. When I drive off all the locks still come on which I don't mine. It's when I stop, my passenger in front & I can exit but the folk in the back can't. Why not? Why have Toyota done this I wonder. It was OK om my last Avensis.

Any fixes??

Cheers.....Brillo :unsure:

Hi all,

I have a new Avensis which is 3 weeks old. I had a new one 3 years ago as I have 3 year lease through work. A new feature on this model is that when I drive all the doors lock automaticaly. However when I stop & get out of the vehicle the rear passengers cannot.

This has been annoying me too. Manual says it can be turned off by a dealer so I'll probably get around to it this time next year... There are other configurations that can be done at a dealer too, but this was the only one that interests me.

You can turn this function off yourself.... I did it after a number of tries. The owners manual is a little ambiguous but stick at it and it can be done :yes:

My Avensis is six months old i posted the same question when i got mine. As you say i did what the book says so did work mates no joy. I went to the dealer and he wanted to charge me so forget that idea. Mine is also a lease car and on both services so far they have promised to turn it off and on both they have failed to do so. Got !Removed! used to pressing the unlock button now everytime to let someone out. Surely in the event of an accident this is a safety issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

My car was booked in for the mod for the recall on Wednesday. I asked about the doors & the mechanics/technicians took the automatic door locks off. One showed me how to do it, though it was the same as in the manual. I think it was a bit hit & miss though. He had the manual open & explained what he had done, which was the same as I tried & the others. I would try it again just to test it but knowing my luck wouldn't be able to get the rear door locks open after. It's nice not to open the rear doors manualy again. I have since got used to passengers opening the rear door on their own, though it's just my daughter so far. The mechanic did say it was to stop car jacking. My brother has a Fiat & has a menu on his dashboard where he can turn this option on or off. It looks like it's still a bit hit or miss as I have said before. One thought is that the mechanic thought the door was opened when he tried it.

Cheers......... Brillo

Using the Manula, I Changed the Rear Door Locks to following the Front Door locks.

As above, it is very hit and miss, you may need to try several times, eventually it worked. Of course it must be the user, as it is impossible for Software to have an intermittant fault!!

After some months, the doors appear to have decided that they know better than me and have reset them selves to Locked. Ugh

Hi

I also find the rear door locks frustrating :angry: and would like them to unlock with the front doors

This is covered in the handbook but only for cars with automatic transmission, I have a manual transmission T4 with smart start/entry.

I have tried loads of times but can't get it to work :(

I have asked at the dealership, (phone) but they are rushed of their feet with recalls any further advice would be very welcome :D

Cheers,

Rich,,,

(edit to add, I would like the car to auto lock but all doors to unlock when the drivers door is opened ;) )

Hi,

I have a manual 6=gear with normal key, and "the procdure" in the book worked first time on mine.

However, it's not the way I want it.

Actually the procedure is for disabling the auto-locking feature, and it did.

What I want (and many others) is the auto-locking on, but the rear doors unlocking when the drivers door is opened.

As I understand it, that can only be done at a Dealer's.

I'll wait until the dust settles. ;)

I have just been to the dealer who plugged in a computer type thing and reprogrammed the door locks for me for free :D

interestingly the fitter said

" you are supposed to be able to do this using the door lock switch, but no one here has ever been successful, so we do it with this now" (computer thing) :blink:

The car now auto locks and when stopped opening one of the front doors unlocks all doors :yahoo:

I have a T4 Sat Nav and when it was in for it's first service I had them change it so it unlocks all the doors when you open the drivers door, however, about one in every ten times it doesn't :o

Also got them to switch the sensitivity down on the auto lights, so the lights don't come on too prematurely, which is dangeours

I got chaffeured around in a brand new avensis tourer at the weekend and the autolocks got me the first time. But I also found that just by switching the locking switch by the door handle i could unlock it everytime so wasnt really a bother.

Must admit though I loved the skyroof and the heated front seats when i got to get in the front. I wasnt so sure on the size of the door pockets.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links