Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattling Noise

BS Celica

i put the wrong oil in my car. was only a small amount before i changed the oil and filter. on a cold morning it makes like a tickety noise. its not no tappets, last time i heard a noise like it my fiesta blew up. cars a celica vvti 140. anyone know what is wrong or how i can fix this.

A bit more info. would be helpful. What viscosity was both the wrong Oil and the type you replaced it with?, how long before you changed it?, and does the ticking noise disappear after a while?. Also, has the Oil level ever been allowed to run low?

A bit more info. would be helpful. What viscosity was both the wrong Oil and the type you replaced it with?, how long before you changed it?, and does the ticking noise disappear after a while?. Also, has the Oil level ever been allowed to run low?

the higher the revs the louder it gets. im almost positive it was 5w 20 and it was run on it for a week. i didnt use much of it. id say half a litre or less. the noise goes away once theres a bit of heat in the engine. oil has always been kept at a good level.

How did you come to put expensive Racing Oil in the car?, I've had to Google 5W20 as I've never seen it on sale!

Are you running on 5W30, 10W40 or 5W40?

How did you come to put expensive Racing Oil in the car?, I've had to Google 5W20 as I've never seen it on sale!

Are you running on 5W30, 10W40 or 5W40?

im usin 10w40 now and ive no idea how i managed that

10W40 is slightly thicker than recommended on start up. A 5W30 or 5W40 would be a better choice for your Engine as it will circulate and protect quicker especially in Winter. It will also be a little less work for your Starter Motor in very cold weather too. Price wise you're looking at approx. £20 and £30 respectively.

You should not deviate from these two grades unless going on a Track Day.

10W40 is slightly thicker than recommended on start up. A 5W30 or 5W40 would be a better choice for your Engine as it will circulate and protect quicker especially in Winter. It will also be a little less work for your Starter Motor in very cold weather too. Price wise you're looking at approx. £20 and £30 respectively.

You should not deviate from these two grades unless going on a Track Day.

Without meaning to hijack the thread, Scarlett can you recommend a good grade of oil for a 2001 Celica VVTi-L 190 used in a hot tropical country? Thanks

A 5W40 Fully Synthetic from a reputable brand like Silkolene, Fuchs or Millers will be fine. The VVTi-L takes around 4.4 Litres for an Oil and Filter change :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links