Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Clutch Replacement Cost?

Unklian

As the title.

How much is a MMT clutch replacement outside the warranty period?

My warranty is about to finish.

Extending the warranty is about £300.00 per year.

As my car is am MMT, I was wondering about the gamble of

£300.00 against the price of a clutch if it was to let go.

Anybody had one done?

My car has only covered 17000 gentle miles so shouldn't need doing for years

but you never know.

Cheers.

Ian.

I've thought that myself so would also be interested in this for when my warrant ends in June. As a rule I put the car into neutral when I stop rather than sit on the brake so I hope that habit will extend the clutch's lifespan.

As the title.

Anybody had one done?

but you never know.

Cheers.

Ian.

Perhaps ring the garage and find out, would be interesting.

As an aside my old Yaris Freetronic clutch cost about £500 inc labour about 7 years ago. That lasted 90 000 miles around London ( Kensington to Sevenoaks daily) so did about 30 billion gear changes. So it lasted really well.

Andy

I've thought that myself so would also be interested in this for when my warrant ends in June. As a rule I put the car into neutral when I stop rather than sit on the brake so I hope that habit will extend the clutch's lifespan.

I'm mechanically sympathetic,

I do the same thing.

I also try to maintain (when I'm moving) a minimum of about 6mph

to make sure the clutch is fully engaged rather than slipping.

I love the MMT for its cleverness and after years of driving for a living, I can't be

bothered with manual gearchanges. (Except my beautiful Bonneville).

My one critiscism of the system is that as soon as the brake is released, the clutch starts

to engage, assuming you want to move off. My previous car, a Smart Fortwo, had a microswitch

on the throttle pedal. so that the car didn't start to engage drive until you touched the throttle pedal.

It seemed to work better. (In my opinion).

I'm just paranoid about clutch life. Mine has a gentle life and has only covered about 17000 miles

driven mainly fully engaged and not slipping in traffic. It smells on the odd occasion when I abuse it

by reversing into a friend's steep driveway.

From the lack of response, it seems I am worrying about nothing,

it doesn't seem to be a fast wear issue like the front discs.

£300.00 warranty extension vs. (Guessing) £500.00 for Toyota fitted clutch. Anybody?

Ian.

Perhaps ring the garage and find out, would be interesting.

Andy

......Erm......need to diagnose it first......

Will need to know if it's worn due to use / abuse......

Would need to check for hourly rates......

Don't know price of clutch......

Workshop unsure......

Unsure ......

......etc.

Fair question TBH and one that I have thought about as a key reason for extending my warranty (in 2.5 years time) when it falls due. The MMT, for all its cleverness, may have some foibles and I don't like how in the simplest of manoeuvres you can quickly get a burning clutch smell on occasion!

But for peace of mind, I will take the renewal, but elect to do the full 2 years and see how we go. I have a 5YR/50K service pack anyways, so the 5YR Warranty makes sense to me :)

As the title.

Anybody had one done?

but you never know.

Cheers.

Ian.

I am probably wrong, but I thought extended waranties would not cover items like clutches (and brakes) unless they "failed" due to a mechanical malfunction or bad assembly ,but not through normal wear and tear usage.

That's what I thought.

If you turn up with a burnt out clutch, it will almost certainly be classed as a consumable item.

"Not covered by your extended warranty, Sir".

It's just the (very) seldom smell it makes.

I'v not had car clutches smell that much since when I used

to doughnut my capris !

They're probably made out of some enviromentally friendly muck

based on grass or manure or something instead

of good ol' asbestos which was the proper stuff for the job.

Ian.

Toyota used car warranties are run by TWG Services Limited ( The Warrenty Group ), they hold their cards very close to their chest and its difficult to find on the web what covered and what is not but a rule of thumb is any wear and tear item is NOT covered, so that would include ,tyres, exhaust ,brake pads , brake disc and the clutch, so your money would be best spent on a clutch as and when you need it .

Toyota used car warranties are run by TWG Services Limited ( The Warrenty Group ), they hold their cards very close to their chest and its difficult to find on the web what covered and what is not but a rule of thumb is any wear and tear item is NOT covered, so that would include ,tyres, exhaust ,brake pads , brake disc and the clutch, so your money would be best spent on a clutch as and when you need it .

That's what I was thinking.

£300.00 warranty is a big gamble.

If you don't use it, what a waste.

If you do use it, arguments about what's covered.

£300.00 should be at least half-way to a new clutch so I'll take the risk.

That was the reason for the original post......

If everybody's MMT clutch was failing after 3 years and

it was a grand to replace, ......?

Ian.

I accept that the extended warranty would not cover the MMT clutch per se. But what are perhaps forgetting is that the gearbox and controls are pretty much tucked away from direct user control. By this I mean, the throttle is drive-by-wire and so is the MMT stick itself. So if you flick it, the car decides what you are doing and does it.

I would suggest that if the clutch gives out at anytime, then it has to be an inherent fault with the car and its controls. Its not like we have any control over the clutch - like you do with a manual. Thats why i think an Extended Warranty would have trouble rejecting a claim - not that they wouldn't try! :)

I accept that the extended warranty would not cover the MMT clutch per se. But what are perhaps forgetting is that the gearbox and controls are pretty much tucked away from direct user control. By this I mean, the throttle is drive-by-wire and so is the MMT stick itself. So if you flick it, the car decides what you are doing and does it.

I would suggest that if the clutch gives out at anytime, then it has to be an inherent fault with the car and its controls. Its not like we have any control over the clutch - like you do with a manual. Thats why i think an Extended Warranty would have trouble rejecting a claim - not that they wouldn't try! :)

Had the clutch done at 60k, never had a clutch go before, and I did 170k in the last car, it was n't covered by warranty, cost about £560 once fitted. Sorry :(

Had the clutch done at 60k, never had a clutch go before, and I did 170k in the last car, it was n't covered by warranty, cost about £560 once fitted. Sorry :(

Hmmmm...... possible £560.00 against guaranteed £600.00 for 2 years.

I think I'll take the gamble and hope that my "gentle" driving will prevent failure.

Touchwood, doesn't seem to be a regular failure.

At 60K, was it smelling / slipping? How do you drive? Lots of slow traffic and agressive or

open roads and gentle?

Cheers.

Ian.

Hmmmm...... possible £560.00 against guaranteed £600.00 for 2 years.

I think I'll take the gamble and hope that my "gentle" driving will prevent failure.

Touchwood, doesn't seem to be a regular failure.

At 60K, was it smelling / slipping? How do you drive? Lots of slow traffic and agressive or

open roads and gentle?

Cheers.

Ian.

When the clutch goes you will hear a warning beeper going uphill and I think a lamp came on, then you will push it just to see if it really is going and then you will realise it is xxxxxx!

Mainly open roads, there is not much traffic where I live, occassionally smell the clutch when parallel parking on a hill. It is very hilly where I live, so the gearbox will select third at 70mph on the M65 :o have noticed a characteristic of the transmission is to slip the clutch at low speeds rather than select first, the ratios are too far apart, and this Toyota is really one car that could do with six gears, the gaps have now got annoying.

Have just noticed you live in Chapeltown you will know about hills then, I grew up in Fulwood. I miss Sheffield, great City you use to be able to hear the hammer in the forge, even in Fulwood! Wow it was loud.

Had the but I wouldn't accept that clutch done at 60k, never had a clutch go before, and I did 170k in the last car, it was n't covered by warranty, cost about £560 once fitted. Sorry :(

Sorry, but I wouldn't accept that. How can a component over which you have no control fail and you be held liable? Its not like a manual car where you have full control over the clutch. This is a drive by wire vehicle - user input only and it decides what to do and how to do it.

Sorry, but I'd take the Dealer/Toyota GB to Small Claims Court and given the poor publicity Toyota have had, I think they would want to avoid any further.

People have to be willing to stand up for their rights, rather than accept whatever the Manufacturer/Dealer tells them and empty wallets at each occasion.

Had the but I wouldn't accept that clutch done at 60k, never had a clutch go before, and I did 170k in the last car, it was n't covered by warranty, cost about £560 once fitted. Sorry :(

Sorry, but I wouldn't accept that. How can a component over which you have no control fail and you be held liable? Its not like a manual car where you have full control over the clutch. This is a drive by wire vehicle - user input only and it decides what to do and how to do it.

Sorry, but I'd take the Dealer/Toyota GB to Small Claims Court and given the poor publicity Toyota have had, I think they would want to avoid any further.

People have to be willing to stand up for their rights, rather than accept whatever the Manufacturer/Dealer tells them and empty wallets at each occasion.

Know what you mean, mine is a Peugeot, about going to court though, just had other priorities more important at the time and life is short, thanks.

:rolleyes:

I thought robots would be more clever at riding the clutch? Instead we get the old burning smell as the robotised manual fails to work out what it should be doing. Like I said before, my Yaris didn't do this in 90 000 miles on the freetronic, the Aygo clutch built out of cheap Frosties packets does it every so often under 30 000 miles.

Another example of penny pinching on the Aygo.

I can understand wear and tear on a manual clutch where they can say it was human error, but by saying wear and tear on a robot clutch surely they are admitting the robot is not up to the job?

Andy

Totally agree.

Right, so they have the gas pedals sticking on some cars

They have brakes not working on some other cars

And they have the clutch either failing before time on manuals or else burning occasionally on MMT's

Not a bad selection of faults!

Engineers, not bean counters thanks Toyota.

Andy

extending the warranty was the best thing we ever did.

its going in for number 3 as soon as we can get it booked in

last time was 700+ in parts not inc vat

car is an 05 on 26k

when we were offered to extend last time he hadn't finished asking about it before i finished writing the cheque

fogot to mention the water pumps.....i think we are on number three.......third boot seal, third set of rear brakes (first lot collapsed on themselves)

if it wasn't for the warranty we would have flogged it long long ago.....

three's the magic number....

Totally understand where you are coming from Dinky; I wouldn't wish to run our Aygo without [a Toyota Extended Warranty] one.

• 2 years later...

hi there

i had my aygo 06 reg mmt sport.from brand new.now its done 48000 miles.had my car service,they told me that a new clutch needs to replace,it cost £1800 to replace,not included the fly wheel.i very shocked how much its cost to replace.i had a few days to think about it.

i meet up with the service manager.he advice is replace the car for a brand new car or fix the car.then i asked him how long will it last untill.he said it will lastr for another year.

i decide to use the car another year time.

the car is been the same,nothing wrong with the car.no burning smell.

maybe they want to make more money out of me.

not reliable car!!

£1800!!!

Have you got details of parts//labour cost. Surely with a bit of shopping around you can get it done cheaper than that.

I think that the clutch on my Aygo will last forever. I only use the clutch when starting the car from standstill or reversing.

I had an Aygo MMT covered 20k miles and one morning it just would not go into gear - after leaving it for 3 hours it worked again but every morning it was really jerky until it had warmed up - it then started staying in gear for too long when it should have been changing up. I lost confidence in it - took it Toyota who told me clutch needed replacing over £1200.00 - got rid of it there and then for an IQ.

IMO these MMTs are useless and it is not cost effective to repair when they go.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links