Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Wont Start

Younes

Having had the car for little more than a week, I cannot get the car to start. I have tested the impedence on the cam and crank pos sensors, as well as checking voltage on each of the coils. They all show fine, even get a spark when plug was tested outside the engine across all 4 coils/leads.

When cranking sometimes it appears to want to start but does not full make it. Im sure there is enough fuel in the car as it was just above the 2nd mark and the range showing 150 miles on the computer. Should the fuel gauge rise to what ever the fuel level is once the ignition is turned on? My last Avensis did (1.8 non VVTi) as far as I can remeber.

Many thanks...

Are you sure the engine is getting the fuel? When have you last changed the fuel filter?

Are you sure the engine is getting the fuel? When have you last changed the fuel filter?

Good point, I will have to check through the service history. Is there a fuel pip I can disconnect to see if fuel is indeed being pumped??

Good point, I will have to check through the service history. Is there a fuel pip I can disconnect to see if fuel is indeed being pumped??

Don't trust what the service history says for the fuel filter change unless you can 100% trust the mechanic who serviced it, sorry but it's a fact of life.

Be very careful disconnecting any fuel lines unless you know exactly what you are doing, it is under high pressure even with the engine stopped! This is not really a DIY job so be very careful even when the engine is cold, a fire can result very quickly with petrol. :o

Sorry to sound so negative, best regards Pete.

Don't trust what the service history says for the fuel filter change unless you can 100% trust the mechanic who serviced it, sorry but it's a fact of life.

Be very careful disconnecting any fuel lines unless you know exactly what you are doing, it is under high pressure even with the engine stopped! This is not really a DIY job so be very careful even when the engine is cold, a fire can result very quickly with petrol. :o

Sorry to sound so negative, best regards Pete.

Thanks Pete.

I am not yet familiar with the Toyota engines, but on vauxhall 2.0 engines there is normally a bleed nipple to release all the fuel pressure from the rail and then the pipe can be disconnected safely. Can anyone tell me a safe way to check the fuel flow?

Why not start at the basics, have you moved the car a short distance before the last time it failed to start? Fuel injected cars are very prone to flooding when only moved a few yards, and cause the problems your describing of nearly starting then not quite making it.

If this is likely, keep your foot full on the accelerator and keep it cranking until it coughs and splutters into life, and keep it there until you've got a big puff of smoke and it's firing on all cylinders again.

I parked the car up last thursday and on saturday when I tried to start it nothing happened. I took all the plugs out and tested the coils and also to see if the plugs would spark. Thats all fine, Im begining to think its got to be a fuel issue. Im doubting its out of fuel as when I parked up there was qtr tank.

I have since disconnect the Battery and now the range is showing ------- and the fuel guage is on the very first mark. No signs of anyone taking the fuel out of the car.

Should the fuel pump make a noise the first few seconds the ignition is turned on? I know in some other cars you can hear the pump start up. On mine I cannot ehar anything....

Anyone know if the fuel pump should make a noise on start up??

Nope, i am sure it is not supposed to.

Regards,

Casey.

I ask becuase on many cars, vauxhalls, nissans as you turn the ignition the fuel pump you can hear it start up its normal. I dont have another toyota avensis to compare with.

I finally managed to start the car up today.. very odd.. took a while to get it going, so many times it was almost about to start, i kept crankign and finally it did. Now when its cold its idling at around 11-1200 rpm then once warm goes down to about 600 and its idling all over the place .. and even stalling. I dont think this engine has a air flow sensor.. symptoms are of a similar nature to a knackered air flow meter.

I will do a compression test, just to make sure the rings are ok, but should they be worn, might just rebuild the engine. Has anyone rebuilt a 1AZ FSE before?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links