Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Fuel - Petrol Into Diesel Car

madcowny

Last week, a moment's forgetfulness lead me to put about £20's worth of unleaded petrol into my diesel car (Yaris 1.4 D-4D); the tank was almost empty. Luckily, I realised this mistake when I went to pay for the fuel and called the garage straight away. When the guy came, he started the engine and drove it onto the recovery truck (about 5 meters away). They drained away the petrol and replaced it with half a tank of diesel. After getting the car back, everything seemed fine, although I haven't driven it hard yet.

I am a bit concerned whether there has been any permanent damage to the engine. I know that modern diesel engines rely on the diesel for lubrication, which is not provided by petrol. A friend told me that the car should not have been driven at all, even for a short distance, because it'll damage the high pressure fuel injectors.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I once put unleaded in a 4 star carolla, it didnt start properly the next day

It is a bit risky driving it, but even when you're nearly empty, there'll be a litre or so in the bottom of the tank, plus whatever's in the fuel pump and injector system.

If any petrol HAD got into the system, you'd know about it straight away!!

I think the problem is worse the other way around.

Sure Newer Diesels are a little more pedantic about the fuel...but usually driving around a little with Petrol in a Diesel car isn't "that" bad ... driving a petrol car with Diesel in it on the other had..is not good at all! you'll get around 100 meters before it packs up..... with an expensive repair bill to boot.

Vipes.

anyways....how the hell did you get petrol into a diesel??? especially a new car as you say?

As diesel ermmm what the term.... well the Nozzel Recepticle shall we say is so much smaller than that of Petrol cars. So you can't physicaly get the nozzle..into ther erm nozzel recepticle.

I know the petrol companies are now Standardising the colours of fuel nozels...and makers will colour the ermmm nozzle recepticle to match..may that should have say..triangular nosels for diesel and square of petrol... will solve all the problems! although current motors would haver to have an adapter to accept the new shapped nozles!

Vipes

ive heard all that on the news aswell

and not putting anyone down here but ya shouldnt be near a car if ya can mix that one up!

can i put super unleaded petrol on a car that says unleaded only?

Probably being driven for 5 meters only the petrol didn't arrive to the engine since the fuel pipes would have still been full of diesel. So I don't think there was any damage.

Once my wife's 9 year old brother put water in my diesel can which I use to fill the fuel engine of my boat (engine Perkins 6354 6 cylinder). :ffs: The thing worked properly for some 15 minutes, then there was a strong squeaking sound which I thought was the belt, which I had just changed... then the engine stopped... :censor:

It resulted that the squeaking (or more, screeching!) had been coming from the fuel pump due to lack of lubrication! :o I gave her diesel once more, and everything worked well with no apparent damage... :)

can i put super unleaded petrol on a car that says unleaded only?

Yes.

It states Unleaded only to stipulate that you can't use leaded fuel ....which is not readily avaliable now anyway... it's only used for those 50 yr old motors, which require the lead additive.

Super Unleaded is of a higher octane..so you get a cleaner and hotter burn giving you better mpg, and performance....although depending on your motor sometimes it's very noticiable...others not so...but does cost that little extra too.

vipes

Diesels are great..they will run on anything...used cooking oil is great, and leaves that chip pan smell in the air!

My next motor will be a diesel again..wish I never went back to Petrol.

LPG may be cheaper now...but that's only becasue they are holding off the duty for the next few years...another govememnt ploy to get you all using LPG...then to Tax the hell out of it. That's just what happened to Diesel..it was so much cheaper than petrol, there was a big push to make everyone go diesel..then they put up the duty.

Vipes

Diesels are great..they will run on anything...used cooking oil is great, and leaves that chip pan smell in the air!

has anyone tried that?

Red Diesel is the cheapest 5 quid for 25litres

You do need a bit of parafin as well, to raise the octane...just cooking oil won't do. but it will work....not recommended for newer diesels...as the engine tollerances are much higher...and injectors/fuel lines will clog easily...but older models...no problem...just need atank of normal diesel for every tank of cooking oil.

NOTE I do not condone the use of cooking oil...and if you try it..be it on your head!

I think Clarkson or one of his crew did it once...sometime back if memory serves me right...think it was a Volvo. and I think there was a big police presence...just last year down South somewhere...after they found that supermarkets in the area were seeling a huuge amount of cooking oil compared to the norm!!

Trouble with red diesel now is that even one tank full can be detected like after 50 tanks of regular diesel down the line.... just not fair!

what happened to the Hydrogen car? Fill her with water...split the oxygen molecules from the hydrogen..and away you go...a car that runs on water...shame they blow up easily!

Will there every be a real energy Efficient car though?

electric cars are even more polluting than fossil fuel cars....your just moving the polution to the powerstations. They will only be viable if enough energy is produced form wind/tide turbines etc...but that's never going to happen. oh..did you know..that the energy to build one wind turbine...is like 10 times more than the actual turbine could every produce in it's life time! Makes you think!

Vipes

Trouble with red diesel now is that even one tank full can be detected like after 50 tanks of regular diesel down the line.... just not fair!

Filter the red diesel through cheap cat litter - it removes the red die leaving you with..... diesel :thumbsup:

what happened to the Hydrogen car? Fill her with water...split the oxygen molecules from the hydrogen..and away you go...a car that runs on water...shame they blow up easily!

hydrogen fuel cell cars are still heavily researched by the big motor companies, the problem is that currently hydrogen isn't produced in a green way so defeats the object of a fuel cell car.

remembering the laws of thermodynamics, you can't create energy, only transform it to another form, until hydrogen can be made with renewable sources of energy it won't be a 100% pollution free solution.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links