Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint Bubbling- Corrosion Warrenty Claim

tallguy

Hi All,

I picked up my car (Used 08 Plate Avensis) on Friday but having spent more time with the car since then I have noticed a very small amount of paint bubbling at the very top back corner of the drivers door, at the point where the black plactic trim between the glass and metal, the passenger door seems fine and the rear doors seem fine. Has anybody else seen this and has anybody claimed on the 3yr Exterior body panel Surface rust/paintwork section of their warrenty?

Any feedback would be good and a recommendation of a dealer in the Ashford/staines area.

Cheers

Tallguy

P.S. I should take it back to the dealer where I bought it but am loughed to as although they replaced the wing mirror mounted indicator before purchase they failed to wire it up, which means they never tested it. Hmmm whats the rest of their service like..........

I had a pinhead of rust on the boot of my Camry, they replaced the boot lid, painted, and put all new chrome on it. It was over 3 years old as though, it was repaired under the anti-corossion warranty.

Take it back to them to look at.

It Could be a bad repair. Ive had an 14 month old car taken back for rust on the bottom of the door where the outer skin joins the inner to my local dealer. And tried to get it done under warrenty. Turned out to be a repair that hadnt been repaired right by the dealer where the car came from before I even got the car it. Needless to say the door was repaired properly the second time by the original dealer. The rest of the paint/body work was fine. Which was what flagged it up to my local dealers that I took it too.

My alloys have bubbled and the paint is chipped off. Is this also covered under the corrosion warranty?

Tallguy I've got exactly the same issue on a 57 plate Avensis but on both the driver and passenger front doors like you right in the top back corner.

I had the car in for a service with my local Toyota dealer last month and asked them to take a look while it was in. When I picked it up I asked the chap if they had managed to take a look at the rust spots I'd mentioned. To my surprise he said that they looked like stone chips!!!

Amazed I queried how stones had managed to avoid hitting the rest of car and had hit it in identical places on either side of the car right in the corner of the window (behind plastic). He was completely unphased and said that for a warranty claim I would have to take it to their sister branch where their body shop is.

Frankly that's as far as it's got. The body shop is only open during the week and I haven't had time due to work to make it across to the other branch.

Had the car into the dealer where I bought the car, they immediatly said - warrenty claim :) and would need the car in for at least 2 days, but the slight twist is that I live and work 'darn sarf' so the dealer suggested that I contact a local dealer (local to my week day address) and if there was any difficultly that the local dealer should contact them or they would do it if I could leave the car up north. - So progress, plan to visit my local dealer today, will update later.

The saga continues.........................

Took the car into a dealer local to me (will remain nameless for now), their body shop manager looked at the paint bubbling (i will take some photos and upload when I get the chance), He said that he would put in a warrenty claim to Toyota, it would take about 2 weeks to come back.....I said 'Hold on, the dealer where I bought the car, up north said that any warrenty claim less than £300 was self approving' he said, what were they going to do? I said a repair, he said I'm putting in for a new door, why repair it when you will be bacl in 18 months time saying the rust is back.

Sounds like the northern dealer was trying a quick fix to placate me.......HHHHHmmmmmm,

We will see where we are when Mr T gets back to me.

OK....Just had a call from the Local toyota dealer (southern) Mr T has approved the warrenty claim and is going to give me a complete new door.... :thumbsup: Which still leaves me wondering about the northern dealer and whether to complain to both them and Mr T

OK....Just had a call from the Local toyota dealer (southern) Mr T has approved the warrenty claim and is going to give me a complete new door.... :thumbsup: Which still leaves me wondering about the northern dealer and whether to complain to both them and Mr T
Good news on the new door and yes I would complain to both the dealer and Toyota GB for the sake of others and a bit of self satisfaction for you ... but don't lets start the old North/South divide thing as my Northern dealer is brilliant!

Best regards Pete.

Good news on the new door and yes I would complain to both the dealer and Toyota GB for the sake of others and a bit of self satisfaction for you ... but don't lets start the old North/South divide thing as my Northern dealer is brilliant!

Best regards Pete.

T-spiritpete, No worries on the North/South thing, I'm an Ex-pat Yorkshireman down here to educate the great unwashed on Beer, Flatcaps, whippets and above all Rugby League :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add an update (from my earlier post up the thread) since I managed to get the car looked over last Friday to Mr T's paint shop. Had confirmation today that all four windows will be repainted since the back two windows were also showing signs of rust in the front top corners. Chap who looked the windows over pointed out that with the paintwork around the windows being a matt black finish it wasn't as thick as the paint on the lower half of the door and didn't have the benefit of lacquer to protect it either.

Not certain that a paint job is necessarily the best option considering Tallguy is getting the entire door replaced. I suppose it all depends on how long the warranty for the paint job is. What would anyone suggest, should we all be demanding entire door replacements to resolve rust spots?

Thought I'd add an update (from my earlier post up the thread) since I managed to get the car looked over last Friday to Mr T's paint shop. Had confirmation today that all four windows will be repainted since the back two windows were also showing signs of rust in the front top corners. Chap who looked the windows over pointed out that with the paintwork around the windows being a matt black finish it wasn't as thick as the paint on the lower half of the door and didn't have the benefit of lacquer to protect it either.

Not certain that a paint job is necessarily the best option considering Tallguy is getting the entire door replaced. I suppose it all depends on how long the warranty for the paint job is. What would anyone suggest, should we all be demanding entire door replacements to resolve rust spots?

f3rr3tm4n - From what I understand about the surface paint warranty, it only applies if your car is under 3yrs old or less than 60,000miles, a 57 plate should just fall into that group (depending on the miles). I'd be asking why no new door, especially as the dealer I went to didn't even think about a repair.

Anyway my car is in the bodyshop at the moment and hopefully should be ready today. I have asked the dealer to also do a AC service and pollen filter change as the blower seems to have as much puff as an asthmatic granny, but thats another thread :!Removed!:

• 4 months later...

I have also noticed rust bubbling above the drivers side door window (Avensis 58 plate). Same problem experienced by Tallguy (see photos which he posted). My local dealership have taken photos and are currently in the process of getting the warranty approved.

My alloys have bubbled and the paint is chipped off. Is this also covered under the corrosion warranty?

No, wheels are not part of the anti corrosion warranty

Get the paintwork looked at by your dealer and assessed to see if it is covered

Kingo :thumbsup:

I too have also noticed rust at the coner of all 4 doors at the top door window's. its a avensis 58 plate estate. My local dealership will also get a phone call about this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also noticed rust bubbling above the drivers side door window (Avensis 58 plate). Same problem experienced by Tallguy (see photos which he posted). My local dealership have taken photos and are currently in the process of getting the warranty approved.

Just an update on my original post. Both the driver and passenger doors have been replaced under warranty. Excellent service from Toyota. I also got a nice Lexus IS250 as a courtesy car.

Just like to point out the tops of the doors arent painted - they are covered in a matt black vinyl (painted underneath).

Seen a few avensis with rust showing through in these places.

Mart.

I noticed rust on the edge of one of the front doors on my 58 Avensis. Dealer said it was a stone chip which it clearly wasn't. The warranty administrator had a look and noticed that the seams inside the top corners of the doors were all open and had started to rust.

He had no hesitation in passing it to Toyota for four new doors. Haven't got them yet but I will let let you know if anything goes wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

My 58 reg Avensis is currently with the dealer having four new doors fitted due to rust. Same location as everyone else here.

On the face of it this seems like a good thing (if rust on a car less than two years old can be classed as good) but I am wondering what this is going to do to the resale value of my car. When you trade in, the first thing sales people notice is a paint job and this is going to be half the car in my case by the time they blend in the doors to the rest of the bodywork. It's metallic black by the way.

Has anyone any experience of selling resprayed cars?

I remember reading in the past that if a car had enough repairs done a manufacturer may take the car back and replace it. Anyone come across this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I remember reading in the past that if a car had enough repairs done a manufacturer may take the car back and replace it. Anyone come across this?

Well like all things its never as simple as that

The sale of goods act gives you certain rights, any product must be of satisfactory quality and "conform to contract" aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from MINOR defects, appearance and finnish, durability and safety. It is the SELLER of the car NOT the manufacturer who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract

For up to six year after purchase (five in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages. Now goods might not be expected to last 6 six and the law does not specify time limits on specific goods, so only a court of law would decide if certain goods do not conform to contract. For example, an oil filter would not be expected to last 6 years by any normal person, but a gearbox or engine might be expected to last this long.

Reversed Burden of proof means that a consumer who buys a product, does not have to prove a product was inherrantly faulty during the first six months of purchase, so if your kettle blew up when it was 5 months old, you could take it back and get a refund or replacement, AFTER 6 months, it is down to you (and me) as the consumer to prove if goods were inherrantly faulty, and thats where it can get complicated, because the seller does not have to prove anything, it might be that you need to get expert advice, which the consumer would need to pay for, to decide if a product was inherrantly faulty, if the seller agrees that it was, then the seller has the right to repair OR replace a product, so just saying you dont want the car anymore is not good enough, you would need to prove the car had an inherrant fault from new, it is not down to the consumer to say he no longer wants the car

my 2006 avensis is showing bubbling paint in the same place on drivers door

so what is the toyota warranty period for this?? 3-5 yrs...set mileage anyone know??

can i go to MrT to complain?

my cars done 103000 mls

For those who are interested heres the pictures

gallery_90109_1079_188968.jpg

gallery_90109_1079_54395.jpg

Just waiting to hear back from Mr T now

Hello Tallguy,

Though English I live in Denmark, and bought my new Avensis Station car in August 2008. I recently found rust spots on all 4 doors in exactly the same places that you have found yours; additionally, also further down the matt black window pillars/supports, close to the actual door, the paint is actually bubbling up - less than the size of a matchstick head. Also the matt black paint coat is missing on 2 places on the inner-side of the same window pillars/supports where one can clearly see the bare priming. I've spoken to my dealer and photos have been sent to main office for appraisal. I am awaiting their results/decisions. Will continue the saga when I know more. In the meantime I include 2 photos of the worst spots.

post-98057-128290982799_thumb.jpg

post-98057-128290984326_thumb.jpg

Paint warranty

3 year unlimited mileage cover protects against defects and surface rust as a result of a manufacturing defect.

The-Cav. You could take it to your dealer for an out of warranty claim to be considered, worth a try

• 2 weeks later...

Paint warranty

3 year unlimited mileage cover protects against defects and surface rust as a result of a manufacturing defect.

The-Cav. You could take it to your dealer for an out of warranty claim to be considered, worth a try

I decided to refresh an old thread, as I have the same problem. I have a 56 plate avensis, with very high miles, but full Toyota service history. It is correct that there is 3 years warranty for surface rust, but there is also a 12 year perforation warranty against rust. They say that the rust must be very deep (e.g. a hole in the door), but I believe that this is very deep rust (that is why other members had the doors replaced). I will be visiting a dealer (probably Inchcape Guildford) and will be asking them to pass this on to manufacturer. Failing that I will raise a claim with Toyota direct. If anyone else have got some recomendations re dealer near Hampshire/Surrey area please do not hesitate to chip in. Also please let me know if you have tried/have this resolved when your car was more then 3 years old.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links