Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Washer Problem

Retskoom

Hello!

I've been using this forum a while, searching for answers to questions I had about my Yaris, and found this place brilliant. I'm a bit stumpted now, and hope one of you lovely people can help me!

I've not been able to use my windscreen wash for a couple of days now. I thought it would be the fuse, although not having a fuse extractor didn't help so couldn't be sure. Got one and a new fuse, eventually got the fuse out after a bit of a yank, noticed it wasn't the problem :(

I can't hear the windscreen washer working. There's a new fuse in (thought I may as well put it in as I bought it), and I now have no idea what I can do now to make it work. I've not had my Yaris long (although it is almost 10 years old), it's got its MOT due soon, and it's all a bit scary as I only past my test a few months ago (although I'm in my twenties, so not quite a spring chicken!), and I'm not exactly the most savvy when it comes to messing about with cars, although I don't mind having a go if I know what I'm doing (I've already had to change and fit a new battery).

If any of you could give me some tips or help (or approximate cost if I have to get a mechanic to see to it) I'll be eternally greatful. I love my Yaris, don't want it to die on me :(

It's not uncommon for the washer pumps to become filled with a gooey substance which blocks their inlets or outlets. Disconnect a pipe from one of the washers - add some hot water (hand hot)to the reservoir and let it sit for 10 minutes of so - then activate the pump in 10 second bursts. I have used this method successfully on a range of cars although you may have to repeat the process a number of times.:)

It's not uncommon for the washer pumps to become filled with a gooey substance which blocks their inlets or outlets. Disconnect a pipe from one of the washers - add some hot water (hand hot)to the reservoir and let it sit for 10 minutes of so - then activate the pump in 10 second bursts. I have used this method successfully on a range of cars although you may have to repeat the process a number of times.:)

Dont know too much about this car... you could always change the washer pump for a few bucks. If you use the pump without fluid it could burn the pump out could be 1 cause. Gooey substance could be another....

Thanks for the replies. The first reply from Jamesbelfast sounds more likely, as I had noticed the wash did have an eggy sort of smell to it recently, ever since the awful snowy weather in UK had settled down. I'll give it a go with the hand hot water. If that doesn't work, I'll get a mechanic to have a look at it. Thanks again :D

Can you hear motor whirring away? If that's working, then it sounds like just a blocked jet or fluid hose which can be remedied as James says.

If the motor is'nt making any noise, then that could be at fault or even burned out. Scrapyards or E-Bay is needed then, or you could price a new one from Mr T.

I know this may sound silly, but you have checked the fluid level? Is the rear working or they all failing? usually, if you run out of fluid, the pack one still works a little longer then the front so don't be confused if this one works without the front!

If you find the fault, in future, make sure ANY water/fluid you put in, gets filtered.. Some cars have a mesh filter in the bottle, some don't so use a tea strainer to fill up the reservior if your car has no filter. You will see it just inside the filler neck.

On an unrelated note, you say you are no spring chicken as you are in your 20's.... I am in my late 30's... (47, VERY late 30's) to me, you are just a hatchling!

I had another listen, and the motor was working (and yes the washer fluid is always topped up). I gave it a good wash out as described and works fine! Thanks!!! :D

Gar, when you say mesh, would that be near the cap? If so I don't think I have one. Will bare the filtering in mind when I top up in future (oh and thanks for calling me a hatchling ;) ).

Thanks for all the advice, got to love this forum and it's lovely people giving out advice. I hope I can do the same one day ;)

Yeah, some cars you can see a plastic or wire mesh filter just inside the filler neck. If you don't have one, use a strainer to put your fluid in. BTW, I use ready mix as it is easier but not really as good as quality products. this should be fileterd anyway! I am in London, so using tap water is not to be advised. If you mix from concentrate, perhaps you should buy the water used in batteries and irons,... De-ionised, as it will have lots of the harmful deposit forming stuff removed!

Yeah, some cars you can see a plastic or wire mesh filter just inside the filler neck. If you don't have one, use a strainer to put your fluid in. BTW, I use ready mix as it is easier but not really as good as quality products. this should be fileterd anyway! I am in London, so using tap water is not to be advised. If you mix from concentrate, perhaps you should buy the water used in batteries and irons,... De-ionised, as it will have lots of the harmful deposit forming stuff removed!

Thanks for the tip, would never have thought to use distilled water with the concentrate! Thinking on it now, our tap water isn't the best either. My Yaris isn't going to know what has hit it after all this TLC I've been giving.

Thanks again all, I can't stop singing this forum's praises :P

I have heard of peple using a little methylated spirit in with the mix to but never tried it myself...

Would get a proper opinion first before trying!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a filter in the washer pump? I know this is the case on some cars. if so, has anyone tried removing the pump to clean the filter? Or is it just best to blast some hot water through?

No serviceable parts - but net time it runs out, fill it with hot water from the tap and run the whole washer bottle through the system whilst the water's hot to clear it out.

Had to change my daughters Clio washer pump recently.... It just jerked on switching on but wouldn't pump. Cleaning it in very hot water made no difference in this instance as the motor was too worn so got a replacement from GSF (German, Swedish and French) At a cost of £16- odd. The only thing is they come without the little sealing ring that stops it leaking at the joint of the pump to the bottle so I applied a little silicon sealant as used around baths, etc and left it overnight to set. No leaks and works fine now. (BTW, tested the new one first, prior to fixing). :yahoo:

I think GSF now do Jap parts, too or try Euro car parts. Check prices with Toyota (Or any other main dealer) First, as they sometimes surprise you and are not too expensive for genuine (Not pattern) Parts!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links