Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen3 Brake Recall - You Had Yours Done Yet?

Grumpy Cabbie

can someone tell me..................., do they replace anything, or just upgrade what is already there. thanks

Getting mine done on Monday morning.

It's literally just a Flash update to the ECU. 100% software, nothing hardware changed.

This YouTube vid should help -

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fujisan

• Ikelos

• Toyota PR

• flow

I went into my dealership last Friday and asked them if they had heard anything about the recall. I was told it had been downgraded from a recall and it was now just a servicing issue.

I asked to use the phone and asked him for the number of Toyota GB so I could ask them why it had been downgraded that certainly made him change his tune.

I was then told that they did not have the software anyway. I suppose it is the IOW ;)

The car is now booked in this Friday, and I received my letter in the post today.

Looking forward to getting it done so everybody in my office can find something else to talk about. :rolleyes:

:D :D :D yes, we are a tough lot, we do not mind them all taking the p****. we get out laughs when they pay their road tax and congestion charges..

It has not been downgraded. It was never classified by VOSA as a saftey recall.

VOSA evaluated the Prius brakes, tested the car and found that it does not meet its established standards for a safety recall. However, they have given Toyota the same access to DVLA data to enable us to contact owners exactly as if it was a safety recall. In this way Toyota could act quickly and thoroughly to reassure owners.

VOSA's finding echoes what Toyota has said all along - the Prius brakes always work.

The issue is about braking feeling in certain circumstances, namely low speed, light brake pedal pressure and ABS activation ( pot hole, ice, etc), not a malfunction of the braking system. The new software changes that feeling, it does not eliminate it since it is a necessary transition between regenerative braking and the hydraulic system for the ABS to work.

Well, car's been in for its 10k service and they did the recall software update. Too early yet to say if it works or not but will assume it has.

So, who else out there has had the recall done on their car and has it worked? :unsure:

Yep, I got mine done the other day.

To be honest, I felt the 'strange' behaviour of the ABS kicking in when I picked up my brand new Gen 3 from the dealer in the snow. and to me it was no big deal. Sure it felt strange, but nothing major. Now, if you have never felt ABS kick-in before, then I can imagine this quirk would really throw you off your stride.

Anyway, the firmware was upgraded and I've not had a chance to feel the 'new' experience. The only thing I can say is that the Toyota dealer I went to were very apologetic, and they gave me a full car valet kit as a small gift. Now some of you maybe thinking that's no big deal, but compared to my recall experience at Ford's where the fault could have caused a fire outbreak, my experience at Toyota was way better. I didn't even get an apology from Ford, and it seemed like they grudgingly had to do the work.

*btw, in case you are wondering 'no' I don't work or have ANY association with Toyota other than owning one of their cars :-)

Hi Toyota PR can you tell me why on the letter from Toyota in big red lettering you print "Customer Satisfaction Campaign" when it is a recall don't try to white wash your customers ,if we are intelligent enough to buy a Toyota we have the intelligence to know when the car has a recall.

To be honest, I felt the 'strange' behaviour of the ABS kicking in when I picked up my brand new Gen 3 from the dealer in the snow. and to me it was no big deal. Sure it felt strange, but nothing major. Now, if you have never felt ABS kick-in before, then I can imagine this quirk would really throw you off your stride.

Anyway, the firmware was upgraded and I've not had a chance to feel the 'new' experience. The only thing I can say is that the Toyota dealer I went to were very apologetic, and they gave me a full car valet kit as a small gift. Now some of you maybe thinking that's no big deal, but compared to my recall experience at Ford's where the fault could have caused a fire outbreak, my experience at Toyota was way better. I didn't even get an apology from Ford, and it seemed like they grudgingly had to do the work.

*btw, in case you are wondering 'no' I don't work or have ANY association with Toyota other than owning one of their cars :-)

Got it done this morning and yes got the official Toyota full car valet kit as a small gift as well as a £25 off next service voucher!

Got it done this morning and yes got the official Toyota full car valet kit as a small gift as well as a £25 off next service voucher!

OK why didn't I get the valet kit and £25 voucher? Is this a Toyota thing or just down to the individual dealers?

Had mine done earlier in the week

Car wasn't washed, no free valet kit, no £25 service voucher - Just a 'heres your keys sir, the cars ready'. No apology for the inconvenience

Im jelous of you lot now lol

Still, I was only waiting just over 30 minutes and the 2 receptionists at my local dearership...corr blimey, roll on the next recall lol

Had mine done today - they picked it up and dropped it off. And I got the annoying reverse beeping done at the same time. Yay. B)

I've still heard nothing.

Did you go to the Toyota website and enter your details? I'd heard nothing and then I put my details into the main Toyota recall site and within a couple of days got a phone call

Did you go to the Toyota website and enter your details? I'd heard nothing and then I put my details into the main Toyota recall site and within a couple of days got a phone call

No, not done that. Back when this started, I was under the impression (and everything I read suggested this), that Toyota had gotten hold of all owner details from the DVLA and would write to them.

I'd like to know that in the event of something really serious this process works. As it happens, so far I've little faith in that.

I'll continue waiting in hope.

No, not done that. Back when this started, I was under the impression (and everything I read suggested this), that Toyota had gotten hold of all owner details from the DVLA and would write to them.

I'd like to know that in the event of something really serious this process works. As it happens, so far I've little faith in that.

Just phone your local dealership up and book it in.

You'll be waiting a long time because as posted by ToyotaPR, the Prius brake update is not now an official recall in the UK. Contact your dealer now or wait for your next service.

Not even a letter from Toyota saying they will be in touch?

My dealer rang me a couple of days ago and I agreed to take it in this morning.

It took about half an hour, including a visual safety report and a cash sale invoice saying "Carried out Prius ECU update".

Minimum fuss, polite, helpful staff. I mentioned that I had had no problems and asked what difference I would notice? "Probably none", was the reply. From the behaviour of the vehicle on the way home, I would say they were right . . . . . :D

Hi I had mine done today, took about 40 minutes.

No valet but I did get a complimentary car care kit presented to me by the managing director of the dealership.

So I am one happy customer. :D

My dealer rang me a couple of days ago and I agreed to take it in this morning.

It took about half an hour, including a visual safety report and a cash sale invoice saying "Carried out Prius ECU update".

Minimum fuss, polite, helpful staff. I mentioned that I had had no problems and asked what difference I would notice? "Probably none", was the reply. From the behaviour of the vehicle on the way home, I would say they were right . . . . . :D

Left hand - right hand?

Having had the ECU update done yesterday on the basis of a quick and informal 'phone call from my dealer, this morning I received a very formal letter, signed by the Toyota (GB) MD, telling me about the recall and inviting me to contact a Toyota centre from a list of five provided.

I could ignore that, but there is also included a post-paid "Work completed certificate" marked for centre use only that shows the details of my vehicle and is supposed to be returned to "Toyota Recall Administration".

Guess I'll give the dealer a 'phone call on Monday to make sure the loose ends are tied.

Took my to Inchscape Toyota Guildford this morning early to have the recall carried out, waited for an hour and was then called over to the service desk to be told that "the computer" had repeatedly crashed and couldn't be fixed until Monday. To add insult to injury, they had scrawled "do not wash" on the job docket, so I wasted my Saturday morning driving over there, waiting for an hour and then driving home. You'd think that they might be on top of things by now? I was ambivalent about the recall but am just pain irritated now!

Took my to Inchscape Toyota Guildford this morning early to have the recall carried out, waited for an hour and was then called over to the service desk to be told that "the computer" had repeatedly crashed and couldn't be fixed until Monday. To add insult to injury, they had scrawled "do not wash" on the job docket, so I wasted my Saturday morning driving over there, waiting for an hour and then driving home. You'd think that they might be on top of things by now? I was ambivalent about the recall but am just pain irritated now!

And so would I be... as you say, they've just wasted a chunk of your time. Things I'd consider at this time...:

1) Writing a letter of complaint.

2) Sending them the bill for travel and time.

3) Requesting they pick up and return the car next time.

On the spot, perhaps it'd have been worth asking them to keep the car until fixed, and borrowing one at their cost.

After all, I'm pretty sure they'd not be quite so understanding if you missed a payment on the car.

Recall done with visual safety inspection and wash and vac. Took 90 minutes but I guess most of that was waiting for the car cleaner to get round to my Prius. They were doing a lot of other Toyota recall jobs at the same time! The valet team must have been swamped. Free hot drinks but no biscuits, and a Toyota goodie bag containing car cleaning stuff.

I was proposing to wait and see whether or not there are any downsides to the recall before having mine done, and perhaps not having it done at all if, say, the economy is affected. All the indications from Toyota are that it is not a safety issue and apparently VOSA agree.

However I thought I'd better just check with the insurance company. After some days research they have told me that my cover will be invalidated if I don't have the recall done, though they are apparently continuing to research the issue.

So if anyone else is considering not having it done I suggest you check with your insurance company.