Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen3 Brake Recall - You Had Yours Done Yet?

Grumpy Cabbie

I was proposing to wait and see whether or not there are any downsides to the recall before having mine done, and perhaps not having it done at all if, say, the economy is affected. All the indications from Toyota are that it is not a safety issue and apparently VOSA agree.

However I thought I'd better just check with the insurance company. After some days research they have told me that my cover will be invalidated if I don't have the recall done, though they are apparently continuing to research the issue.

So if anyone else is considering not having it done I suggest you check with your insurance company.

I suspect your car will be done at the next service if you dont take it in especially. Well over 50% of Gen 3's have now been done (4,800) according to ToyotaPR this morning on Twitter.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fujisan

• Ikelos

• flow

• phil4

Took my to Inchscape Toyota Guildford this morning early to have the recall carried out, waited for an hour and was then called over to the service desk to be told that "the computer" had repeatedly crashed and couldn't be fixed until Monday. To add insult to injury, they had scrawled "do not wash" on the job docket, so I wasted my Saturday morning driving over there, waiting for an hour and then driving home. You'd think that they might be on top of things by now? I was ambivalent about the recall but am just pain irritated now!

And so would I be... as you say, they've just wasted a chunk of your time. Things I'd consider at this time...:

1) Writing a letter of complaint.

2) Sending them the bill for travel and time.

3) Requesting they pick up and return the car next time.

On the spot, perhaps it'd have been worth asking them to keep the car until fixed, and borrowing one at their cost.

After all, I'm pretty sure they'd not be quite so understanding if you missed a payment on the car.

Thanks for your thoughts. What's it that they always say? "Revenge is a dish best served cold" - I shall mull it over! I was promised that I'd get a call today when they'd fixed their laptop, but computer still says no...

Hi Toyota PR can you tell me why on the letter from Toyota in big red lettering you print "Customer Satisfaction Campaign" when it is a recall don't try to white wash your customers ,if we are intelligent enough to buy a Toyota we have the intelligence to know when the car has a recall.

Not trying to whitewash anything - quite the reverse in fact. We are in part creating the impression things are worse than they are.

VOSA tested the car and do not feel it is a recall issue. By that they mean there is no malfunction, no safety issue. We agree, but given all the... shall we call it media attention, we asked for them to give us the access to the DVLA owners data as if it were a recall anyway. This way we can write to the owners.

Please check with VOSA if you don't believe me.

Why allow it to look like a recall if it isn’t?

Simple, we are much more interested in removing any doubt in the minds of owners and the public in general that our cars are safe and we are doing everything we can to ensure that than having a public spat with the media. Trying to explain to the Daily Mail or GMTV what the difference is between a recall and a customer service campaign would be a pointless exercise. We just wanted to get on and contact our customers.

VOSA tested the car and do not feel it is a recall issue. By that they mean there is no malfunction, no safety issue.

Please see my earlier post.

Can you convince my insurance company that there is no malfunction and no safety issue so that I can retain the option of not having the update carried out?

ours goes in tomorrow, and today we had the letter from Toyota

Received the letter yesterday.

Booked in for next week. :thumbsup:

Get the coffee on... :yes:

All done :thumbsup:

Took about an hour and half from driving in to driving out again, so plenty of time to do my college work. :D

A nice cup of coffee, could have had a biscuit or two as well :yes: (but one of the ladies waiting in service area reception for her car to be returned, had really gone to town with a particularly strong perfume....to the point it was turning my stomach a little :sick: )

Must say I've never seen it so busy in there. Anyway, as well as the update, they set reverse to a single beep for me, carried out a visual safety report on the complete car and valeted it, inside and out.

Well done Bentleys, Warrington :toast:

See you in September for the cars first service!

All done :thumbsup:

Took about an hour and half from driving in to driving out again, so plenty of time to do my college work. :D

A nice cup of coffee, could have had a biscuit or two as well :yes: (but one of the ladies waiting in service area reception for her car to be returned, had really gone to town with a particularly strong perfume....to the point it was turning my stomach a little :sick: )

Must say I've never seen it so busy in there. Anyway, as well as the update, they set reverse to a single beep for me, carried out a visual safety report on the complete car and valeted it, inside and out.

And a nice (big and heavy) valetting kit waiting for me on the passenger seat! :toast:

Well done Bentleys, Warrington :toast:

See you in September for the cars first service!

Sorry, I'm getting forgetful in my old age...

....either that or that ladies perfume has killed thousands of brain cells! :wacko:

VOSA tested the car and do not feel it is a recall issue. By that they mean there is no malfunction, no safety issue.

Can you convince my insurance company that there is no malfunction and no safety issue so that I can retain the option of not having the update carried out?

Sorry, but I can't really get involved in the details between you and your insurance company.

But why wouldn't you want to have the work done? It will, in all practical senses of the words, make no difference to how the car drives except in the very specific circumstances of light brake pressure at slow speeds over uneven surfaces.

Hi Toyota PR can you tell me why on the letter from Toyota in big red lettering you print "Customer Satisfaction Campaign" when it is a recall don't try to white wash your customers ,if we are intelligent enough to buy a Toyota we have the intelligence to know when the car has a recall.

Not trying to whitewash anything - quite the reverse in fact. We are in part creating the impression things are worse than they are.

VOSA tested the car and do not feel it is a recall issue. By that they mean there is no malfunction, no safety issue. We agree, but given all the... shall we call it media attention, we asked for them to give us the access to the DVLA owners data as if it were a recall anyway. This way we can write to the owners.

Simple, we are much more interested in removing any doubt in the minds of owners and the public in general that our cars are safe and we are doing everything we can to ensure that than having a public spat with the media. Trying to explain to the Daily Mail or GMTV what the difference is between a recall and a customer service campaign would be a pointless exercise. We just wanted to get on and contact our customers.

Hi Toyota PR Just had my car in for the ABS update for which Lookers at Rayleigh did a faultless job I would like to thank all involved including Toyota, just one question if this is a customer satisfaction survey why on the sales invoice is it put down as work carried out under recall 0508B, covered under recall warranty. As said before you build excellent cars, stand by them a recall is after all just a recall all cars makers have them.

Had my done yesterday. Very impressed with RRG Toyota in Denton, nice greeting, drink, immediate service, said it would be an hour and had the car back to me within 40 mins, washed and vac'd. No biscuits or car care kit though :crybaby:

The service guy did pop out half way through and ask if it was my car or a company car, perhaps thats the point I lost out on the car care kit?

Sorry, but I can't really get involved in the details between you and your insurance company.

But why wouldn't you want to have the work done? It will, in all practical senses of the words, make no difference to how the car drives except in the very specific circumstances of light brake pressure at slow speeds over uneven surfaces.

Thank you for the response.

Firstly can I make clear I am a Prius fan and indeed I'm in the process of encouraging a relative to buy one. I've also done my bit on priuschat to try and repudiate the obviously false claims in America.

I am happy with the car as it is, and if as you say there is no safety issue then I would prefer to wait for a considerable period of 'user testing' just in case any provable downsides to the update surface. Just like waiting for any teething problems in a new model to be ironed out.

I can understand insurance companies in general refusing claims if essential safety recalls have not been carried out, but if this is not an essential recall then I cannot understand their stance particularly as the insurance company bears your name.

I don't wish to provide any more fodder for the media hype so will just take my chances.

Letter arrived, car booked in and done. Very very very busy there.

Car cleaned and work done, free car care kit (thanks), and £25 off next service.

Now happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had ours done - and the car seems to drive much better than before - the throttle response is much better - not so sluggish of the mark and can keep up with other cars whithout getting in the power zone. Anyone else notice this??

Had ours done - and the car seems to drive much better than before - the throttle response is much better - not so sluggish of the mark and can keep up with other cars whithout getting in the power zone. Anyone else notice this??

I presume your not running in eco mode ?

I presume your not running in eco mode ?

no - always been on auto - just wondered if they had updated the engine management as well? - any way it drives better.

no - always been on auto - just wondered if they had updated the engine management as well? - any way it drives better.

I think we have the word from a Toyota technician at the time when this was a (non)issue, that the software update is not applied too or would affect the engine management system.

But if you "feel" happy, that's all that matters :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links