Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt......recall?

rjm

Everyones rightly concerned over the accelerator problem.I have an 08 d4d yaris with mmt!!.Reading comments on various forums over a period of time I have come to the conclusion that the mmt gearbox is dangerous and manufactor of this unreliable gearbox should have stopped years ago..A much bigger problem than a slow returning peddle.Read a few and you will see what im on about.

vosa have known about this problem for a couple years and have done nothing.Toyota for even longer .I dont think toyota know how to repair the mmt saga.I strongly believe toyota and vosa are in bed together over this issue.Hence no result for toyota mmt gearbox owners....Big multinationals flexing mustle!?

I'm confused! Pardon my ignorance, but why and how can a gearbox be dangerous?? :unsure:

Not being sarcastic, i'm just curious. :lol:

Everyones rightly concerned over the accelerator problem.I have an 08 d4d yaris with mmt!!.Reading comments on various forums over a period of time I have come to the conclusion that the mmt gearbox is dangerous and manufactor of this unreliable gearbox should have stopped years ago..A much bigger problem than a slow returning peddle.Read a few and you will see what im on about.

vosa have known about this problem for a couple years and have done nothing.Toyota for even longer .I dont think toyota know how to repair the mmt saga.I strongly believe toyota and vosa are in bed together over this issue.Hence no result for toyota mmt gearbox owners....Big multinationals flexing mustle!?

Totally disagree with you regarding the Yaris MMT box.(The gearbox is a standard box with a semi automatic selector system incorporated)

I ran my Carlo Blue MMT Yaris for some time and not once did I have any problem with it.

Changes were slick and smooth and never once did I experience any"false neutrals" that some of the owners of Corolla Verso MMT models have claimed to experience.

I do not consider that the MMT system is at all dangerous.

VOSA would initiate a recall if they considered the system to be dangerous..............Yaris Owners experiences have not shown the MMT system to be dangerous in any way...........in fact quite often it is the drivers of said vehicles that are not accustomed to the MMT experience that appear to cause alarm!

As for your belief that Toyota and VOSA are in bed together.............nothing could be further from the truth. VOSA are a totally independent organisation who are very swift to chastise ANY manufacturer who produces vehicles with a fault.

Please be very careful about stating such defamatory remarks within a public forum!

whats wrong with the MMT box? I also have an 08 D4D mmt, and haven't had any problems with it. Only thing I would like is an override switch so when I have it in manual it is actually manual and I can change the gear when I want not when the car thinks I'm going fast enough, doing 12-15mph in first isn't a good thing IMO, but this is only an occasional problem and nothing dangerous about it, just annoying.

I'm confused! Pardon my ignorance, but why and how can a gearbox be dangerous?? :unsure:

Not being sarcastic, i'm just curious. :lol:

hi raeman.I have owned a d4d 08 yaris for 2 years.Its a great car..apart from the mmt gearbox setup.On paper its very smart .An anto type gearbox that achieves excellent fuel economy.when i stop at a busy roundabout i have to allow for an extra large space because of the delay time between pushing the accelerator and moving.even after two years this takes some judgement.If you get another driver(and there are many!)driving to fast around the roundabout then because of the delay time on acceleration you can (as i have a few times)nearly loose your bumper.By this time your doing 25mph in first gear and the gearbox refuses to change to 2nd gear.This affects ones concentration while i flick the accelerator peddle untill the ecu gets the message and changes gear.would you call this safe?On a strait road the car changes gear when it does not need to.driving at 70mph on a motorway in top gear it will change down with out an incline in the road.This slows you down on the motorway and the result is that you get another vehicle on your bumper.safe?my wife does not enjoy driving this car and reflects my veiws.Have a dig around the internet and you will find many disgruntled toyota owners with mmt gearboxes.I have had it checked out and have been told that the mmt is working fine?Our previous car was a manual yaris..wonderful car.daughter has it now and has never gone wrong.Thats why we bought another!!

Hmm, i can understand why you don't like it after reading that! :o

I couldn't live with a car like that either. Maybe there is a fault with it if it's doing that??

Easy fix....Trade it in for a manual model! ;)

Many who buy MMT models have difficulty getting used to them. I have had a couple of Auris and they have been perfect, a joy to drive!

From what you say about your specific car does lead me to think you may have a problem with it. Get it to your dealer and get it properly checked out, it may require a software update or similar

Kingo :thumbsup:

Many who buy MMT models have difficulty getting used to them. I have had a couple of Auris and they have been perfect, a joy to drive!

From what you say about your specific car does lead me to think you may have a problem with it. Get it to your dealer and get it properly checked out, it may require a software update or similar

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've got a 2007 Yaris TR D4D with the MMT gearbox and it certainly doesn't act in the same way as rjm's Yaris, I would say that it needs checking out as Parts-King sugests.

The only problem I've got with MMT is hearing all the horror stories of faults,and as my car approaches 3 years old whether I should trade it in for something like an IQ with the Multi-drive gearbox. Although to be fair tomy car it's been faultless.

MMT clutch position can be reset either using the IT2 tester or a service wire procedure.

If you are having probs with it then go see a dealer as Parts King says.

Dangerous .....PAH!

Mart.

• 1 year later...

My 2004 Yaris MMT has clocked 19700 miles and now needs a new clutch and actuator costing an arm and a leg!

So much for Toyota reliability. Their UK HQ doesn't want to know but I note that they have introduced a new MMT ECU implying that the old version had a fault. Seems that Toyota are falling into the trap of the consumer acting as the test bed. Certainly to find oneself suddenly in Neutral whilst overtaking in a busy urban street is not a situation I want to repeat.

pjj29

My 2004 Yaris MMT has clocked 19700 miles and now needs a new clutch and actuator costing an arm and a leg!

So much for Toyota reliability. Their UK HQ doesn't want to know but I note that they have introduced a new MMT ECU implying that the old version had a fault. Seems that Toyota are falling into the trap of the consumer acting as the test bed. Certainly to find oneself suddenly in Neutral whilst overtaking in a busy urban street is not a situation I want to repeat.

pjj29

Hmm.. I try not to overtake in busy urban streets.. let alone put muself in a situation in them where losing drive could be a danger .

Certainly to find oneself suddenly in Neutral whilst overtaking in a busy urban street is not a situation I want to repeat.

pjj29

Why on earth would someone want to overtake in a busy urban street!! where I live if you can find room in an urban street to overtake you would be extremely lucky - if everyone is doing 30/35 (usually in a 30mph limit) why would you want to overtake, except to show off your superior skills of course!

We have the mmt box on our Aygo, Wife drives it as auto, I drive it as manual - the only problem I have is that it changes down from second to first too quickly...

I'm assuming that the Aygo and Yaris mmt boxes are similar in operation, maybe you just haven't learnt how to drive it yet?

I agree totally with rjm. My November 2010 Yaris MMT(6) performs exactly as his does and I consider the 1st to 2nd change delay to be dangerous. Ask any frustrated driver up my backside when pulling away at a roundabout or junction. For fear of sounding like a stuck record stylus - forget 6th gear in "E" mode if you want to stay legal. :rolleyes: illegal speed driving must be acceptable by Toyota too.

Mine has been back to the dealers twice with the same complaints, both them and Toyota GB advise there's nothing wrong. It's more economical to drive at 70 in 5th than in 6th. :lol: I assume mine has the most up to date ECU? If it has then they've altered nothing. Mine has the strange habit of climbing an incline without changing down, labouring the engine if I allow it, then changing down on a level road at the top of the hill. :lol:

"maybe you just haven't learnt how to drive it yet?" So that's why you drive it in manual then? :) You're wife obviously has. :yes:

"maybe you just haven't learnt how to drive it yet?" So that's why you drive it in manual then? You're wife obviously has.

I'm quite capable of driving it in 'E' - The Aygo is just much more fun in 'M' - if I want Auto, I can always use the Prius!

:thumbsup:

Bah! Automatics are for old people and americans! :lol:

(j/k! j/k!! :P :D)

I do wish Toyota would license the DSG semi-auto tho' as it's soooo much better than the MMT. It's almost as smooth as driving a real auto box (I miss those :( Emissions be damned!)

Bah! Automatics are for old people and americans! :lol:

(j/k! j/k!! :P :D)

I do wish Toyota would license the DSG semi-auto tho' as it's soooo much better than the MMT. It's almost as smooth as driving a real auto box (I miss those :( Emissions be damned!)

Old people and Americans - I resemble that remark!

I totally agree about the DSG 'box. I drove a 7 speed ( are manufacturers trying to get one up on each other with the number of gears? Where will it end?) Polo the other week and it was an absolute joy. Toyota take notes on how it should be done.

I have been using mostly E for a while now but as someone elsewhere on the forum noted it does need some human input now and again to get things right.

I actually did manage to coax it into 6th in E at 70mph this morning.

Yes, those yogurt knitters have a lot to answer for!

Hi,

I'm new to the forums on here. I own a 2006 Yaris D4D MMT, and it has been in recently for the recall work on the MMT. Before it went in everything was basically fine. I've owned the car for about 15 months and have been very happy with it so far. However, when it came back there was a definite juddering sensation either at setting off in E or reverse, and also in stop start traffic. Taken it back in to the garage today and the technician had a brief drive with me in the passenger seat, managing to replicate the problem. They say that it is the clutch, and they need to speak with Toyota technical as to how to proceed.

My question is this - should I be worried? Obviously as the car was fine before it went in, and not when it came out it is the garage's problem. I do also have a third party (AA) warranty that certainly covers the gearbox. My intention was to keep the car for another couple of years, but if I am about to go down the route of it becoming unreliable etc I would prefer to get rid sooner rather than later. Any thoughts?

Best wishes,

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 1.3 Yaris MMT, because my wife needed an auto, and I need the best economy I can get. The MMT is the only automated manual I have owned or driven, and if they are all like this (which, Toyota, I learn that they are not - the Fiat, VW, and even others on Toyota's own range seem to be better) I would not go for another! Driven gently on the level, the changes are quite smooth, However, away from the lights, with a "pusher" behind, the change from 1st to second always feels as if we will be hit in the boot. In order to get any sort of smooth progress, I have to alternate between Manual and Auto, and seem to work harder than I ever did with a pure manual box. So, for a start on the level, or slightly downhill, I put it in Manual and pull back to get the thing in second ( annoyingly, it will only select second in manual if I am stopped, and if I have left it in manual as the car slows to a "creep" in traffic, it drops into first again, and wont change out of first until the engine is racing. The only way out of this is to push it back into Auto, when it then changes into second, but if, on a slight incline, I dont want it to change down again, I have to pull it back into Manual in order to hold on to the higher gear while accelerating. I have always tried to progress smoothly, and try to avoid my passengers rocking backwards and forwards at every gearchange, but the programming Toyota have chosen for the Yaris MMT makes this impossible to achieve. I confess I have resorted to "coasting" up to traffic light to avoid all the changing down through the box that the car insists on. On a pure manual, I would have reduced speed in a high gear until "tick-over" revs, then dipped the clutch just before stopping - smooth and unstressful! Anything good about it? Yes, over 50mpg on a long run, the useful sliding back seats- but not much more, for an expensive little car. I had an Auris diesel, then the Yaris - perhaps my last Toyota!

There is one technique I have found which helps the hesitant start in Auto first gear, and that is to flip the change-up paddle almost as soon as the car moves, and the 1st/2nd change seems quicker, and before the "pusher" up one's backside has caught up. It's still a lot of hard work, and driving the Yaris gives me no pleasure or satisfaction at all.

• Like 1

Have you tried driving it in manual mode all the time instead?

A couple people have mentioned that that is the only way they drive it and they find it superior to a true manual when driven like that.

(I disagreed but that's another story :lol:)

Has anyone who complains about the MMT actually experienced it from the passenger seat?

In any manual gearbox car, you are jerked around as the driver changes gear - to a different extent depending on how gentle they are trying ot be or how hard they are trying to accelerate.

I too didn't like the sensation when the MMT changed gear as a driver, but when I sat in the passenger seat, it felt just the same as it would if I was a passenger in a manual car and the driver was changing gear manually.

I think the real issue is that we're not used to the sensations of the car changing gear for us whilst we're driving. If we're doing it ourselves, we get used to the slight jolt as we lift off the power, the pause whilst the gear changes and the jolt again as the clutch is released and power applied again - psycologically, we feel it less because we're operating the controls and we acticipate the sensations.

And if we're operating the MMT manually, again we're expecting the sensations exactly when they happen.

In an ordinary auto or DSG, you don't get the same sensations because they are designed differently and they are smoother, but in any single clutch automated manual, you are always going to ge the same "power off jolt, cluch engaged jolt, power back on jolt" that you get in an ordinary manual car.

I was really surprised because I too hated the MMT experience from the drivers seat, but from the passenger seat it felt just like being driven in any manual gearbox car - so perhaps really its just a perception thing.....

my wife and I have a 55 yaris 3dr vvt

it has less than 30K miles,

I try to do all my maintenace and have just replaced a washer pump,(eye watering price!!!!).

I have changed the gearbox oils, as I prefer to do after a few years,the box does need learning,but seems

smoother now,

I have an old Corolla GL hatch with 130K and an auto box,this has had regular oil changes,and is as smooth as silk.

I also drive a Fiat Panda with there MMT box,it has E and sport and manual setting,it is a few years younger than

the Yaris,it is a good,if not better,than the Yaris.

my Comments

John

• 1 month later...

Not sure what some people want from a car. Did they not testdrive am MMT model before buying. Always a good idea. They are a bit different to conventional autos but a few miles and one soon gets used to them. I agree with the person who said maybe some are just not very good drivers and blame everyone & everything else except themselves. I had a Yaris MMT in Spain & now another new Yaris here. No problems with either. If my wife can drive it with no problems anyone can!!!!!

"Did they not test drive am MMT model before buying?" I added the question mark for you! The answer's yes but obviously not the car I purchased new. Maybe the MMT was working properly in the Yaris I tested? It was certainly far better than my car which the dealers say is working as it should.

"Not sure what some people want from a car." One that works properly and helps take the hassle out of driving without having to learn how to drive something that clearly doesn't work properly. The gearchange should be seamless the same as can be achieved driving the manual version of this box.

You must be one of the lucky minority whose MMT changes up to 6th in E at 50mph and also works. How strange that Honda have learned a lesson from disgruntled Jazz owners and now reverted to using a CVT box instead of their MMT variant. I notice Toyota are using the CVT in the Verso S, I wonder why they aren't utilising the MMT if it's so good? Toyota have advised me that the change up at 70mph plus is correct because the electronics deem it to be more economical, so tough.

It must be really satisfying to be so perfect?

I have a 2010 1.3 Yaris MMT, because my wife needed an auto, and I need the best economy I can get. The MMT is the only automated manual I have owned or driven, and if they are all like this (which, Toyota, I learn that they are not - the Fiat, VW, and even others on Toyota's own range seem to be better) I would not go for another! Driven gently on the level, the changes are quite smooth, However, away from the lights, with a "pusher" behind, the change from 1st to second always feels as if we will be hit in the boot. In order to get any sort of smooth progress, I have to alternate between Manual and Auto, and seem to work harder than I ever did with a pure manual box. So, for a start on the level, or slightly downhill, I put it in Manual and pull back to get the thing in second ( annoyingly, it will only select second in manual if I am stopped, and if I have left it in manual as the car slows to a "creep" in traffic, it drops into first again, and wont change out of first until the engine is racing. The only way out of this is to push it back into Auto, when it then changes into second, but if, on a slight incline, I dont want it to change down again, I have to pull it back into Manual in order to hold on to the higher gear while accelerating. I have always tried to progress smoothly, and try to avoid my passengers rocking backwards and forwards at every gearchange, but the programming Toyota have chosen for the Yaris MMT makes this impossible to achieve. I confess I have resorted to "coasting" up to traffic light to avoid all the changing down through the box that the car insists on. On a pure manual, I would have reduced speed in a high gear until "tick-over" revs, then dipped the clutch just before stopping - smooth and unstressful! Anything good about it? Yes, over 50mpg on a long run, the useful sliding back seats- but not much more, for an expensive little car. I had an Auris diesel, then the Yaris - perhaps my last Toyota!

There is one technique I have found which helps the hesitant start in Auto first gear, and that is to flip the change-up paddle almost as soon as the car moves, and the 1st/2nd change seems quicker, and before the "pusher" up one's backside has caught up. It's still a lot of hard work, and driving the Yaris gives me no pleasure or satisfaction at all.

Well, on the brightside, with Toyota getting rid of their diesel engines hopefully they'll get rid of the MMT too! :yahoo:

I reckon the HSD is the way of the future for autoboxes (At least until we get decent electrics!); It's like a CVT without the downsides and smoother than even a real torque converter auto :)