Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Windscreen Wipers Going Berserk !

jumbojake

My 2004 D-4D is fitted with auto windscreen wipers.

Whenever I try to use them, they start off with a single wipe, then slowly build into a continuous, then full speed… doesn’t seem to matter how little rain there is.

It's really irritating, as I really want intermittent wipe... no idea why anyone thought auto wipes was good idea.. :(

Any thoughts?

They work fine on my Camry.

Is the area around the sensor clean and is the sensor still well attached to the screen?

The sensor is just behind the rear-view mirror incase your not aware of it's location.

thanks for your reply.

the sensor looks ok.

it's odd, as if the sensor was faulty, I'd expect it to be wrong all the time, but if it is dry, the wiper doesn't come on ... if there are a few drops, then it goes crazy!

thanks for your reply.

the sensor looks ok.

it's odd, as if the sensor was faulty, I'd expect it to be wrong all the time, but if it is dry, the wiper doesn't come on ... if there are a few drops, then it goes crazy!

Hi Jumbojake,

Unfotunately, I suffer from the irritating wipers as well... sometimes it works fine, and sometime whem it gets to the higher speed, it tend to forget the way back (even though the rain has long gone), and continue endlessly... there are two ways to stop this - turn the wiper knob to any direction and back to the 'Auto' position, or turn the sensitivity wheel one notch, and back (latter not always works...). I have compained to MrT about it, they checked it and said it is all fine. probably crap design, as I had this on a previous car (not Toyota), and it worked fine - I hardly needed to change it.

Hope this helps...(actually, I am sure it does not, but it is not only your car...)

TwoT

What I really want is intermittent controls... Auto doesn't really do anything for me....

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert back to normal intermittent type... ??

This problem seems to occur when the Wiper Blades start to wear, clean the windscreen with methylated spirit or neat washing up liquid and replace the blades, all should return to normal, :D :D