Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Toyota To Change Lift Bolts

morgie

Hi all,

I'm seen various threads on the lift bolts, but would like to ask some specific questions...

Has anyone got experience with asking a Toyota dealership to replace their lift bolts? Will they know what I'm talking about or do I need to refer to them as flange bolts? It sounds like this should be a quick job for them, but I presume you may have to pay 1hr's worth of labour. Anything else that should be changed or checked at the same time?

For those who have changed their lift bolts....did you notice a (big) difference in lift after?

Thanks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norfolk n Chance

• ricc

• MarcTS

• illgryphon

Where abouts in Oxfordfordshire are you? I'm in northamptonshire, don't mind doing them for you if your willing to travel. done about a few sets now.

Can be done in 20 mins or less. Mr T prices are outrageous for the time it takes. only thing to check while the cam cover is off is the camshaft for excessive wear, also get to have a gool look at the state of oil in and how new/old it is.

They will probably look at you like you're mad depending on the dealer. I would be ready to point out the lift bolts on a diagram or have a part number for them.

I doubt you will notice a big change unless you have a broken one but it is worth doing as maintenance because you're looking at £600+ to fix them once they are snapped.

That is a very generous offer from ricc, Toyota will charge circa £80 for the pleasure of changing 2 bolts worth 75p each!

Deffo don't go to Mr T!!

Instead.... come to Pod on the 7th March... do a few runs then we'll help change your Lift bolts.... then you can see the difference for yourself on your next runs :thumbsup:

Thanks all for the replies!

Where abouts in Oxfordfordshire are you? I'm in northamptonshire, don't mind doing them for you if your willing to travel. done about a few sets now.

Ricc - Appreciate this offer, I'll send you a PM.

Hi all,

I'm seen various threads on the lift bolts, but would like to ask some specific questions...

Has anyone got experience with asking a Toyota dealership to replace their lift bolts? Will they know what I'm talking about or do I need to refer to them as flange bolts? It sounds like this should be a quick job for them, but I presume you may have to pay 1hr's worth of labour. Anything else that should be changed or checked at the same time?

For those who have changed their lift bolts....did you notice a (big) difference in lift after?

Thanks!

I got my Toyota dealer to change mine, charged me £60 for te trouble.

No problem there and i even got the old worn ones back.

£60?! :o

I paid £1.08 for 2 Lift bolts and did it myself in no more than 20mins!!!

Norfolk,

Long time no see mate :)

Well, I declared myself useless and quite frankly scared stiff of breaking things when it comes to an engine!

o must check these on my car, what milege do you recommend changing these at?

well i heard that they can go in as few as 30,000 miles . i changed mine at 50,000 .

well i heard that they can go in as few as 30,000 miles . i changed mine at 50,000 .

okay cheers. i'll check it out.

is your a pfl or fl? .Fl has stronger lift bolts that will last longer .

is your a pfl or fl? .Fl has stronger lift bolts that will last longer .

it's pre face lift.

do you feel a difference in power if you swap out slightly worn bolts for new bolts? or is it like an on off switch with no variation?

thanks

im up to 50k to my knowledge they have never been changed on my car.

no i didnt notice much of a difference and mine were fairly worn .

I changed mine at ~ 60k miles and one of mine was pretty heavily worn. Can't say I noticed any difference really, but for the sake of £1.50 and 20 minutes of work with a long 10, I don't see any excuse for not changing them - especially when you consider what it will cost if one of them goes.

Norfolk,

Long time no see mate :)

Well, I declared myself useless and quite frankly scared stiff of breaking things when it comes to an engine!

Well i did snap one of the bolts on the oil return pipe... so that cost me an extra 97p! :lol:

Bolt for an oil return pipe - 97p

Lift bolt - 54p

:wacko:

Well i did snap one of the bolts on the oil return pipe... so that cost me an extra 97p! :lol:

Lift bolt - 54p

Laughing at the picture of the snapped bolt preventing you from driving your car.... Priceless!

Lift bolt - 54p

Laughing at the picture of the snapped bolt preventing you from driving your car.... Priceless!

Preventing me from driving??

I was still using the car for the 2 days it took Toyota to order the bolt in :P ;)

thats because your a weapon gaz. :P

but as previously stated, too cheap not to be done. but i lol @ toyota for charging £60

Had you better not get yourself a cam cover gasket as well?

Was going to do this myself, actually took all the bolts out the cam cover and couldnt get the cover off without brute force. I'm sure it was going to tear the gasket underneath if I did, so I've put it on hold for a bit.

nah the gasket is a rubber seal. toyota themselves wouldnt even fit a new one. the only recommendation is to use a touch of universal sealant on the 1inch segment next to the oil return feed. but again, even thats not an issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links