Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any info on Land Cruiser import.. esp drive train..

Dave in Fife

Hello all.. newbie here.. new to Toyotas after a while with subarus..

I have recently bought a Jap import SWB model 70 (landcruiser 2 ?) and am pretty happy with it.. or will be when I understand a bit more about the drive train.. The model.. which I can only find info in Japanese on the web.. is an LJ71G-MET.. with a 2L-TE engine (2.4TD)

It has electrically selectable 4wd with 2 buttons.. 4wd and hub lock.. as well as a low ratio gear lever..

Problem is I'm not convinced that the front hubs are locking.. judging by stationary front wheels and spinning back ones when trying to negotiate some sticky stuff..

I stop the car.. press hub lock.. light comes on... press 4wd.. light comes on.. and off I go...

Does anyone have any info about this model .. or similar... or even a vaguely similar experience??

Also , anyone got any experience of fitting locking diffs etc.

Piccie of similar model attached..

Thanks in advance..

• 3 weeks later...

Since no one seems to be in a position to shed any light on my question.. bit disapointing given all the teccie chat going on in this group! I will attempt to answer my own question.. courtesy of a couple of productive surfing hours.. The car I have is an LJ71.. just like an LJ70.. 2.4TD engine and was produced as an early 'Soft roader' for the domestic and Autralian markets. In Oz it is referred to as a Bundera.. Aboriginal for Rock Wallaby.. It runs on the Hilux drivetrain.. diffs etc. and was not intended for heavy duty work.. hence the lack of any lockable diffs.

What I need then is anyone with info on fitting locking diffs where none were fitted before.. There seem to be several on the market.. ARB etc..

Somebody must have done this before... surely??:o

• 3 weeks later...

I must say, you Aussies get all the cool stuff. I don't know why Toyota didn't sell the Helix here. I have a '91 SR5 4x4 but I would love for it to have a diesel. Just thougt you would like to know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links