Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Avensis Tourer Shock

davystokes

A year ago I thought my Volvo V70 seemed to be on the way out so I checked out possible replacement estates. Quickly ruled out the Audi and BMW offerings since they were estates designed to look pretty rather than carry loads.

I visited the local Toyota dealer and checked out 2007/8 Avensis Tourers. Not quite as big as the V70 but still a very practical estate. So I decided to buy one when the V70 finally expired.

Well a year later the V70 is still going strong but I decided to check the new 2008/9 Avensis Tourer. What a shock! The new model seems to have joined the sports wagon brigade. Has naff boy-racer rear spoiler, low-profile tyres (so hard ride), sloping roof (which might make it difficult to get our mountain bikes in vertically) and rear window at 45 deg angle so cannot cary the proverbial wardrobe!

Am I wrong?

Davy

Not really, Toyota haven't made a decent estate since the MKIII Camry which was so big it had two wipers on the back.

The Carina E/Avensis MKI Estate's wern't too bad, although the CarinaII estate was actually the shortest model in the saloon/hatch/estate lineup.

You are quite correct in your observations but in defence of the car I have to be brutal and say.... buy a van if you want something bigger ;) Sorry but that comment was, in my opinion warranted :yes:

The new Avensis Tourer is what it is.... a nice styled car with comfort regardless of what you say about the tyres. The spoiler keeps the rear window a little cleaner than it would had it not been there, and as for space..... I doubt it was ever meant to carry bicycles :blink:

You have the final say as it is your money.... if the car does not do what you require then don't buy it :huh:

Oh and lastly.... it was never meant to be something like the Camry :rolleyes:

I would agree many modern Tourers aren't much more than jumped up hatchbacks when it comes to transporting cargo in the rear. I think seven seater People Carriers with rear removable seats have tended to fill that niche. Sadly many modern car designers seem to be more concerned with the appearance of new vehicles rather than practicality regarding usable interior space. One of the most practicable cars I ever owned was a 1984 Vauxhall Cavalier Estate but in reality it reminded me of a heubik. LOL!!

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree with Phoenix999.

The days of big boxy load luggers are well gone, especially as most manufacturers make people carriers that can carry much more, the last true load lugger was the Vectra Estate and it's replacement is also in line with most, having a sloped rear end.

I love mine (apart from the sat nav/HDD) and find it's got acres of space, first car I've had in years where an adult can sit behind me without me having to move seat forward. If you want to carry cycles get a Roof Rack or like me get a tow ball mounted bike rack.

If you want to carry cycles get a roof rack or like me get a tow ball mounted bike rack.

Sorry to go off at a tangent but Geordie Mick which tow ball mounted bike rack you got and what do you think of it? Can you still get in the boot with it on? AS im in two minds about getting on mainly as ive got to go through the hassle/expense of getting a tow bar fitted first.

If you want to carry cycles get a roof rack or like me get a tow ball mounted bike rack.

Sorry to go off at a tangent but Geordie Mick which tow ball mounted bike rack you got and what do you think of it? Can you still get in the boot with it on? AS im in two minds about getting on mainly as ive got to go through the hassle/expense of getting a tow bar fitted first.

My pet hate is seeing bikes hanging off the back of cars, can't see the lights and reg plate and bikes swinging around held on by three bungees.

My car is a company car and my boot has a lot of kit in it and a) can't be bothered to keep emptying the boot every time I take the bike out B) have cream leather interior and Toyota in their wisdom put cream carpets in the boot can't be bothered to clean the bike after a ride.

We have a Saab convertible with a detachable tow bar so in summer we can put the bikes on back and still drive with roof down.

I also put OE tow bar on the Avensis, was about £300 but was worth it to get the OE wiring loom.

I use this bike rack:

thule_tow_ball_cycle_carrier.jpg

I think it may be discontinued now but Thule kit is just excellent stuff,not cheap but a year on and it's still like new, it folds up when not in use and most Thule bike racks will drop on the tow ball to allow access to boot. I have roof bars with two racks too, in case five of us go out. I've had the car loaded with 5 adults, 5 bikes and enough kit for a week in Scotland and car did Toyota proud.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links