Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Fuel Consumption

ravdyna

Hmmmm so you think its about right, mine was guess work too, But I was expecting a lot more from the V power, I`m just shocked its nearly all gone. I got more MPG with the normal stuff in colder weather.

I`ll see how it goes with the normal stuff again.

Normal diesel is £1.13 V power is £ 1.19 so not much difference near me.

On this topic, what does everyone get MPG in a T180 Rav? I am getting around 32MPG

I have a March 2009 SR180 and the average mpg as shown by the on board computer has never gone above 34mpg. This includes a lot of short and long journeys. I have to say that second the RFT's this is my biggest diappointment in the car. That said I got one of the last of those engines ans saved a fortune. :D

My fuel consumption is nothing to shout about at the moment. I'm afraid the weather is to blame and until we stop bumping around freezing you can expect poor consumption. High grade diesel does give better consumption but not enough in my experience to justify the cost alone. I see the benefits in keeping the EGR and the upper cylinder/injectors clean.

The trip computer should be zero'd periodically and even then you shoulod back it up with some manual calcs.

Ive just done 2 identical trips to luton airport and back .

1st one i filled with normal Shell diesel and done 245 miles there and typed the figures into the online mpg calculator and came up with 39.8 mpg , cruise control set for about 80 % of the way at 65mph the rest was at 50mph in the average speed camera zones .

One week later and the same trip only with Shell V power diesel it returned 41.8 on the same tank 2 tank method . The OBC was nearly spot on in both trips reading again above and below what i achieved.

The car did feel smother and quieter too .

So i know the V power will have cost more than i saved, but like most say on here is better for keeping engine parts cleaner i think i may start to use it every time .

Mick :thumbsup:

My two favourite subjects for the T180 are RF s and fuel consumption. Having not had the car from new, I am unable to find out what fuel was used prior to my ownership.(has it been clogged up with cheap fuel?) I only use V or ultimate diesel and have conditioned myself with the mpg, to feel content at anything with a 3 in front of it. During the bad weather got down to 24mpg. Just feel disappointed at Toyota advertising a possible 46 mpg for the car. I know some members reach quite good figures, but the general findings for a T180 is bad. Can only conclude that it must be an over sensitive engine !

Regards

On this topic, what does everyone get MPG in a T180 Rav? I am getting around 32MPG

I have a March 2009 SR180 and the average mpg as shown by the on board computer has never gone above 34mpg. This includes a lot of short and long journeys. I have to say that second the RFT's this is my biggest diappointment in the car. That said I got one of the last of those engines ans saved a fortune. :D

Thankyou all for the warm welcoming.

I was over the dealers today looking at the latest 150bhp 2.2 diesel Rav when the dealer got onto mpg. He seems to think the latest engine will do almost 50mpg on a combined cycle ! Even more on a run. However I just cant see it, is this the case or are they playing me ?

Kind reguards matty

shcm and I went out in RRGs demo and it was showing very high 40s on the display. My experience is that demos tend to get knocked aroun a bit so if driven properly I think it might be good mpg. The ambient is very low at the moment and it is having an affect on mine but what do the guys with the new 2,2s think?

I filled mine to the brim last week. So far we have done 197 miles (mainly on A1 sitting at 70mph) and its used just over 1/4 of a tank. Ill let you know what its done when the tanks empty.

I have always used MOLYSLIP in my cars. for years now and have always found it deffo improves MPG and makes the engine smoother and quieter. Only £10 for a bottle and you just pop it in with the oil. Similar to Slick 50 only better imo

on fuel consumption: with a D-Cat Clean Power model (2008 177bhp tDiesel) which I believe is the same as the T180, I have got 10.5 L/100KM (26.9 mpg) over the last 5000 kms. this is mainly motorway driving at between 85 and 125kmh with no/little harsh acceleration and 1-2 child passengers.

this is as per the obc, but fill-ups also bear out the same information (if not a bit worse): I get about 400km out of 45l. considerably under 500km per tank. which I am very disappointed about.

and to boot, the VSC light came on about 50kms ago. no loss of power this time though. after this next trip to the garage i estimate the car will have spent more than 3 out of the last 12 months in the garage.

• 11 months later...

Hi All, just registered to add a post.

I am on my second rav4 first was a 2007 xt4 2.2 diesel. I did 75000 miles in it over 3 years and it typically averaged 42-45 mpg driving to and from work 17 miles each way and on runs. If i kept it to around 60 it would often far exceed 50mpg and approach 60mpg at times.

I am now on my second 2010 model still a 2.2 diesel so i expected similar mpg or possibly a little better seeing the spare wheel has vanished and the emissions are meant to be lower. Anyway there comes the rub, I seem to struggle to get 36 mpg doing exactly the same types of journeys to and from work etc and to get even that i far more conservatively than i ever did before.

I have however notice if it fill up on the motorway when the car is warm i get significantly better mpg. Initially i thought it was just tight but as i have done over 12500 miles i think it should have freed up.

Upon studying it further it is clear that it take a long time to warm up and is on fast idle (i presume choke or similar) for a lot longer than the previous one i had. My instinct here is the thermostat (or as the dealer in Cardiff has indicated its newer cousins a electrically controlled valve) is not closing properly. Clearly this would lead to higher consumption on short journeys as i seem to be getting. Unfortunately the Cardiff dealer does not seem to be treating my concerns seriously, so i thought i would put it out there to see if anybody else is having similar problems or has found the cure.

Regards

M

The 150 D4D does take a fair bit longer to warm up compared with the 130 D4D. It's normal, due to the efficiencies of the engine.

Are you calculating your mpgs or relying on the trip computer?

Many (though not all) 130 D4D read high. Mine did. My current 150 D4D reads low. About 7-10% low. Currently a displayed average of 40ish over a tank full, will be about 43-44ish. Do you reset the mpg trip @ each fill?

I've a 2006 Rav 2.0L VVti?

Used to get 9.9L/100Km but with relaxed driving I get 7.8 :)

hi all must admit to being lazy and using the trip and yes i normally reset it when i fill up. I will have to check with amount i actually put in versus the overall millage.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of these posts are a bit old, but I'm not, so I'll reply here.

I do about 150 miles daily, almost all of it on motorway and DC. I was overjoyed to see my trip computer tell me on my first day of RAV4 (petrol, XT4, 2004) ownership that I was getting 47.1 mpg. Three months of careful record-keeping proved that the trip mpg is consistently 25% high. Otherwise it's accurate - trip mph is spot-on - so I just need to mentally adjust whatever it shows down by 20%. Having done that I get at least 32 mpg most of the time, up to 40 if I'm a little more careful (i.e. drop speed from 60-70 to 55-60). I once got the TC to display 55 mpg, 44 real mpg, after a 65-mile trip, but that was trying. Running the AC in summer or lights in winter don't seem to have much effect. Taking the back seats out does. Driving into a constant headwind is worst, costing 2 mpg according to my records.

Since I have to fill the tank at least once every 2½ days, I tend to let it get as empty as possible, hence the need to keep a close eye on current consumption. I've run out twice: thus learning that the "Low fuel" light comes on when there are about 12 litres left in the tank (common to all my previous Toyotas except the Space Cruiser), and that the last 4 or 5 litres are quite inaccessible.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links