Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering A New 1.33 Auris Amongst Others.

Mooly

I had the chance to spend a day with a 1.33 recently. Bit of a change from my T180.

Although i was quite surprised at what a 1.33 can do considering the Auris is quite a heavy car with the largest side impact bars in its class and all it's safety features.

It did 47mpg on a run for me which for a petrol engine in a car that size its pretty remarkable. It was perfect around town, really competent. My only complaint was having to stir through the gears when at 50mph or above. Given an incline or the need to accelerate there is no power at all. Makes it a bit tiresome at higher speeds on A and B roads. Probably fine on the m-way though.

I guess i'm just not used to changing gear in my t180.

Its a massive contrast to a t-sport though. I like a nice grunty or powerful engine. So the 1.33 isn't really for me but its a very good engine and if i wanted a petrol engine i'd certainly choose that.

Re the width issue, I know from when I was changing my 2006 Corolla last year, that the Auris is about the slimmest car in that class. The i30 and Ce'ed are about 35mm wider (excluding the mirrors), and the Focus, Astra, Scenic, etc are all over 1800mm wide (at least 40mm wider than the Auris. Even cars like the Kia Venga/Soul and Peugeot 207 are as wide, if not wider.

Lol... I know... have looked at them all. Looked at Honda the other day, and a quick measure of Civic and Jazz unbelievably had the Jazz as the wider.

I might (they are going to love me) ask to try the Auris for size again at home now we know that it has the power folding mirrors. The salesman I'm dealing with lives not to far away, and "his" car is the Auris demonstrator I tried.

It did 47mpg on a run for me which for a petrol engine in a car that size its pretty remarkable. It was perfect around town, really competent. My only complaint was having to stir through the gears when at 50mph or above. Given an incline or the need to accelerate there is no power at all. Makes it a bit tiresome at higher speeds on A and B roads. Probably fine on the m-way though.

I guess i'm just not used to changing gear in my t180.

Its a massive contrast to a t-sport though. I like a nice grunty or powerful engine. So the 1.33 isn't really for me but its a very good engine and if i wanted a petrol engine i'd certainly choose that.

It is a massive contrast from a T-Sport I agree... and there are times I just know I will miss that effortless ability. It has other charms though, as you will have found, very refined and quiet for one... which is a big plus point for me.

Re the width issue, I know from when I was changing my 2006 Corolla last year, that the Auris is about the slimmest car in that class. The i30 and Ce'ed are about 35mm wider (excluding the mirrors), and the Focus, Astra, Scenic, etc are all over 1800mm wide (at least 40mm wider than the Auris. Even cars like the Kia Venga/Soul and Peugeot 207 are as wide, if not wider.

Lol... I know... have looked at them all. Looked at Honda the other day, and a quick measure of Civic and Jazz unbelievably had the Jazz as the wider.

I might (they are going to love me) ask to try the Auris for size again at home now we know that it has the power folding mirrors. The salesman I'm dealing with lives not to far away, and "his" car is the Auris demonstrator I tried.

The Auris is 1760mm wide compared to the Corolla which was 1720mm. Having a look at Auto Express, I've listed a few cars which are as wide or less than the Auris, and kept to either Auris class or Yaris class cars (with the exception of the Mazda 5 and Saab 9-3). All measurements are excluding door mirrors.

Alfa Romeo Mito - 1720. Citroen C3 - 1730. Daihatsu Terios - 1735. Fiat Punto Evo - 1687. Ford Fiesta - 1722. Ford Fusion - 1724. Honda Jazz - 1695. Hyundai i20 - 1710. Mazda 2 - 1695. Mazda 5 - 1755 (current model - to be replaced later in year). BMW Mini - 1683. Mitsubishi Colt - 1695. Mitsubishi Lancer - 1760. Nissan Note - 1690. Peugeot 207 - 1750. Renault Clio - 1707 to 1768. Saab 9-3 - 1762? Seat Ibiza - 1693. Skoda Fabia - 1642 (facelift due later in year - August?). Skoda Roomster - 1684 (facelift due later in year - August?). Subaru Impreza - 1740 to 1795. Suzuki Swift - 1690. Suzuki SX4 - 1730 to 1755. Toyota Yaris - 1695. Vauxhall Corsa - 1713 to 1737. Vauxhall Astra - 1753 to 1814. Vauxhall Meriva - 1694 (current model - to be replaced later in year). VW Polo - 1682. VW Beetle - 1721. VW Golf Plus - 1759.

Would it make a difference if you change the direction of how you put your car away/get it out. I drive in forwards and reverse out. Would it help to try the alternative?

Hi,

You have gone to a lot of trouble... thanks. Here's a picture of the demonstrator. The mirrors clear the door edge by 20mm or so each side.

Have to drive in foward, no room at the other side to get out. I actually leave it with the handbrake off, and it (Corolla) just pushes in and out then if need be. Perhaps a mirror on the inside front wall might be an answer.

I like the Auris you see. Vowed I would never buy any VAG group car after experiences with Audi.

post-57576-1268118886_thumb.jpg

Borrowed the demonstrator for the day again... now we know that it has power folding mirrors, I just wanted to be sure how it would fit in the garage again. It's OK.

So the deal is done... 5 door TR 1.33 in Decuma Grey. When you see it, it suits the car I think.

Hopefully should be here by 31 March, 1st April ish :)

congratulations. Hope the car serves you well.

Still amazed a petrol engine in a car that size can get just shy of 50mpg.

Great around town. Should see 40 especially if you use the eco mode.

Have fun.

Well done - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I've been very pleased with mine.

Thanks guys... can't wait now :)

• 2 weeks later...

The new Auris has arrived :) and so far so good. No squeeks or rattles, all feels very "tightly" put together. Trip averaged 54mpg on 18 mile trip home... not so bad for a new and tight engine.

The Decuma grey suits the car... I know I made the right choice there.

The user manual runs to 600 pages... is that really necessary, suppose I'll have to read it all through at some point.

Noticed a lot of threads on squeeky brakes on the Auris so just had a quick look at the front pads on this for interest.

I'd forgotten just how much friction material there is on new pads lol (The sadly departed TSport was still on the originals at 8 yrs and 67.5K) but more interesting is the huge "chamfer" that appears to be cut into the pads, at what seems to me a very shallow angle. Is that in response to all the complaints I wonder.

So "so far so good" :)

Noticed a lot of threads on squeeky brakes on the Auris so just had a quick look at the front pads on this for interest.

I'd forgotten just how much friction material there is on new pads lol

I fitted a full set (front and rear) ebc greenstuff on our T180 and the brakes have never squeaked since plus the fact the wheel are loads cleaner ;)

I'm hoping the wheels stay a bit cleaner on the Auris... time will tell on that one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links