Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Throttle Position Sensor Question

Twot

Hi All,

This is my first post in the Corolla forum, as normally I am lurking in the Avensis section (and to be honest did not have any problem with the Corolla so far...)

The question relates to the Throttle Position sensor of my wife's Corolla - V reg (99), 1.6 GS (4A-FE engin).

When pressing the accelerator, there is a slight hesitation in the responce. I had a look around, and got the throttle position sensor out. All seem to be fine with it (checking with a multimeter), until... you press the white inside (I hope the picture are showing) and the resistance of the sensor changes... the feel is kind of springy, so if you let go, it goes back.

The question is - should it change it's resistance like this (I would have thought not)?, and does anyone know what the resistance should be - I am measuring 2.7Kohm from tab 1 to 3 and 81ohm from tab 1 to 2. when prssing the white centre, it changes to 2.75kohm (1 to 3) and 180ohm (1 to 2).

post-70804-1266782518_thumb.jpg

post-70804-1266782564_thumb.jpg

Thankyou for your help

TwoT

Hi All,

This is my first post in the Corolla forum, as normally I am lurking in the Avensis section (and to be honest did not have any problem with the Corolla so far...)

The question relates to the Throttle Position sensor of my wife's Corolla - V reg (99), 1.6 GS (4A-FE engin).

When pressing the accelerator, there is a slight hesitation in the responce. I had a look around, and got the throttle position sensor out. All seem to be fine with it (checking with a multimeter), until... you press the white inside (I hope the picture are showing) and the resistance of the sensor changes... the feel is kind of springy, so if you let go, it goes back.

The question is - should it change it's resistance like this (I would have thought not)?, and does anyone know what the resistance should be - I am measuring 2.7Kohm from tab 1 to 3 and 81ohm from tab 1 to 2. when prssing the white centre, it changes to 2.75kohm (1 to 3) and 180ohm (1 to 2).

Thankyou for your help

TwoT

by my auto data these are the readings you sould get while the unit is fatsened to the throttle multi plug disconnected.

pin 1 and 2 should have between 2500ohms to 5900ohms

pin 2 and 3 throttle closed should be 200 ohms to 5700 ohms

pin 2 and 3 throttle open should read 2000 ohms to 10200 ohms

move throttle to and check for smooth operation and varying resisitance between pin 2 and 3

supply voltage between 1 nd 2 shoulb be 5 volts ignition on .

hope that helps

Hi All,

Thankyou for your help

TwoT

by my auto data these are the readings you sould get while the unit is fatsened to the throttle multi plug disconnected.

pin 1 and 2 should have between 2500ohms to 5900ohms

pin 2 and 3 throttle closed should be 200 ohms to 5700 ohms

pin 2 and 3 throttle open should read 2000 ohms to 10200 ohms

move throttle to and check for smooth operation and varying resisitance between pin 2 and 3

supply voltage between 1 nd 2 shoulb be 5 volts ignition on .

hope that helps

Thankyou very much 215 Compressor!

The minimum I measure is 80Ω, and only when pressing the center white bit (the bit that moves) I get 180Ω (closer to what you said) - movement that should not be there to my opinion. I think the part is gone...

all the rest is OK - movment is smooth. Heve not checked the voltage (as it is snowing now...). I will verify this as well.

Thanks again for the help!

TwoT

no problem hoped it helped :thumbsup:

I hope to get the part tomorrow - so will update then.

Just wanted to thankyou again 215 Compressor - changed the sensor yesterday, and now it seem to work fine!

(new one does measure 200Ω at minimum)

Thankyou

TwoT

• 4 years later...

Do you have make any adjustments to get the open and closed position values correct or is it just matter of mounting the new TPS in place?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links