Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygonowhere

ninosport

I'm not technically minded and do not care what my car sounds like (as long as it doesn't sound like there's a hole in the exhaust pipe) but I selected my Aygo over a second hand Yaris because I wanted 3 years of warranty without the worry that something expensive could fail. One cannot really put a price on peace of mind. I also know how the car has been driven and its full service history as I am the only owner. It cannot be said about a 52 reg Yaris unless I was fortunate to buy said car from a relative.

Don't get me wrong - I have my heart on one day having a Yaris as its a much nicer car with better interior etc, but for a lot of Aygo/C1/107 owners, we aren't into modding it and we just want hassle-free cheap motoring. For many women who have this type of car, a new car carries a lot of reassurance they will not get with an 8 year old car however trouble free it might have been. Its about perception of not breaking down late at night with a small child in the back.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninosport

• zakelwe

• Angryhatter

• AYGOgummy

No my argument is that you could of bought something better than a £9k city car that really isnt that good overall. I like Toyotas just think the Aygo and IQ thing is a fail due to how much they cost. You can get a 2nd hand car thats better than them and nearly as cheap to run.

But I could say the same about your Yaris, I could get a 2nd hand diesel Golf which is faster and more economical and costs less to run as well as having more space.

New Yaris or this

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1335081.htm

it's a no brainer. I really don't understand why you bought a slower, less spacious, less economical Yaris when you could have bought this car. To throw your own argument back against you :-

"I like Toyotas just think the Yaris is a fail due to how much it costs. You can get a 2nd hand car thats better than it and cheaper to run"

So why did you buy it?

Andy

I'm not technically minded and do not care what my car sounds like (as long as it doesn't sound like there's a hole in the exhaust pipe) but I selected my Aygo over a second hand Yaris because I wanted 3 years of warranty without the worry that something expensive could fail. One cannot really put a price on peace of mind. I also know how the car has been driven and its full service history as I am the only owner. It cannot be said about a 52 reg Yaris unless I was fortunate to buy said car from a relative.

Don't get me wrong - I have my heart on one day having a Yaris as its a much nicer car with better interior etc, but for a lot of Aygo/C1/107 owners, we aren't into modding it and we just want hassle-free cheap motoring. For many women who have this type of car, a new car carries a lot of reassurance they will not get with an 8 year old car however trouble free it might have been. Its about perception of not breaking down late at night with a small child in the back.

The Yaris I bought had full service history and MOTs and got 1 years warranty for it. The car was great and it only had 2 owners before me. Most people tend to think that if a boy racer has owned the car then its been driven like a nutter. In most cases you'll find that they care for the car and keep it in good shape rather than an elderly person who wouldnt like to fix a small problem or keep it up to its services.

I take your point about the full service history and 1 years warranty but I'm talking about perception of reliability one gets off a new car. Even if the Aygo is more expensive than other options, many people will be willing to pay for more to meet their perception of no-hassle motoring.

At least there is accountability for three years that if something breaks, its down to the dealer to fix it. Many of us rely on our cars to be without fault and I am not sure I would trust a 52reg car quite as much as a 59reg one. It may be irrational but I am sure that is how a lot of people think.

I take your point about the full service history and 1 years warranty but I'm talking about perception of reliability one gets off a new car. Even if the Aygo is more expensive than other options, many people will be willing to pay for more to meet their perception of no-hassle motoring.

At least there is accountability for three years that if something breaks, its down to the dealer to fix it. Many of us rely on our cars to be without fault and I am not sure I would trust a 52reg car quite as much as a 59reg one. It may be irrational but I am sure that is how a lot of people think.

Er, hows your dodgy accelerator pedal going Catherine ;) :P Mind you, at least you are a celebrity now, rivalling Cheryl for front cover pics in Hello, OK, Heat and Toyota Marketing monthly...

Andy

Yeah I thought that might come up haha! The way I see it is that faults (quality issues!!!) can and do appear on all cars but if they are older, then the potential for wear and tear faults are greater but like I say. its about perception, not reality as there was a guy in the local garage getting his 17 year old Toyota (not sure what) serviced and it was faultless.

I did get a taster for celebrity life and hate it. I had so many media outlets hounding me for about 5-6 days nonstop. They were bothering my family and friends online and offline, ringing up people I had very little to do with and leaving messages with the department I study with at uni. I am still getting phone calls but thankfully its dropped off now. Since all this, I keep getting calls from people asking me if I have ever been in a road accident and want legal advice for injury claims. I was in The Times but its the worst picture I have ever seen. Normally I look so pale like I have an iron deficiency - this picture's colours were so bright that I looked like I was 8 and found mum's makeup. I think Cheryl has the edge somewhat... :P I don't think this recall is going to launch me into a successful media career ;)

The simple answer is cost.

Taking like for like - 1.0 5 door Yaris v 1.0 5 door Aygo new.

The Yaris will lose £5k in 3 years compared to £3.5k for the Aygo, add in the fact that the equivalent Yaris will use something like 10-15% more fuel, is more expensive to tax, insure means that the cost of owning over 3 years, 36k miles will probably save about £3k over the Yaris, which incidentally has slower acceleration and a lower top speed.

We could make the same comparison for buying 3 year old cars (or any other similar age), and the same arguments would apply albeit a smaller saving over time.

It is always pointless comparing new v second hand, the cost of maintaining and running the old vehicle is often ignored as is the cost of the MOT/ warranties etc. In this particular case I will indulge your query. At the time of purchase I could have bought a year old Yaris for the same money, 3 years later I would have spent around £500 more on fuel, £55 more on MOT, £300 more on road tax and had a vehicle 1 year older, a year out of warranty and worth about £1000 less than the Aygo. That's almost £2k cheaper over 3 years.

The cost of ownership of new Aygo over 3 years at 36k miles would be about £7k in fuel and depreciation.

Or I could have bought a 7 year old Yaris for two grand, which would have cost £1000 more to run (excluding parts/labour) and be worth a £1000 today. This works out at a cost of £6k in fuel/ depreciation. That's saving £1000 by owning a 7 year old Yaris versus a brand new Aygo, factor in the warranty, parts/ labour cost, owning new v second hand and gap gets rapidly smaller.

Whichever way look at it it's a no brainer, which explains why you can't understand it.

Regards, Neil

PS As has been said the C1/107 tend to be more expensive than the equivalent Toyota when specced like for like, add in the fact the C1/107 is worth £750-£1000 less after 3 years means that they are significantly more expensive and despite the recent troubles, I'm sure you'll agree, Toyota customer service is infinitely better than its French counterparts.

PPS Well spotted KParris-Jones, I was editing the post as you replied. N.

The simple answer is cost.

Taking like for like - 1.0 5 door Yaris v 1.0 5 door Aygo new.

The Yaris will lose £5k in 3 years compared to £3.5 for the Aygo, add in the fact that the equivalent Yaris will use something like 15% more fuel, is more expensive to tax, insure means that the cost of owning over 3 years, 36k miles will probably save about £3k over the Yaris, which incidentally has slower acceleration and a lower top speed. It's a no brainer, which explains why you can't understand it.

Regards, Neil

The Aygo will lose only £3.50!!? Blimey, that's good depreciation! :P ;)

Ninisport, why are coming on here just to insult the car some of us drive. WE like it, WE think it's a good car, WE bought one. Please get over it. Besides, there are actually second-hand Aygos available yanno, mine was second hand and represented fantastic value for money. I like the engine, it's cheap to run, it's a great little car. And the engine just has loads of character.

I was in The Times but its the worst picture I have ever seen.

It can't be as bad as the one as ninosport eating humblepie and dripping it down his chin can it?

Seriously though, my first Yaris had a rear brake problem it had to be recalled on, so things don't change over 8 years, not the big hoo ha over that though, I did get a bottle of free champers though then.

Andy

Did anybody mention that the 67bhp Aygo beat the 105bhp Yaris T Sport in the Toyota Sprint Series last year? Proof that the Aygo is faster :lol:

Paul.

Did anybody mention that the 67bhp Aygo beat the 105bhp Yaris T Sport in the Toyota Sprint Series last year? Proof that the Aygo is faster :lol:

Paul.

Not sure what the best expression is?

Game, set and match

or

Icing on the cake

hmmm, tough one. I think both. :lol:

Mind you, the driver of said car is no muppet behind the wheel.

Andy

Blimey, this thread grew very quickly.

I love my Aygo and brought it because i liked it and it was relatively cheap to run and purchase. Ok not as cheap as a second hand Yaris, but i don't like them and as for a new Yaris..well that's even more money than the Aygo.

NinoSport does have 1 point I agree with, and i'm sure we all are. £9500 for an Aygo or similar new car today is alot of money. I paid 8k ish for mine back in 2009 before the scrappage scheme et al came into effect and glad I did. To be honest it's not just unique to Toyota or the Aygo tho, as the Fiesta is now more money than the VW Polo following a spate of price rises. Not a good time to buy a new car it seems.

Still on the bright side, my car is keeping its value better than anything else out there so i cannot complain - Sorry Ninosport, you're right... the Aygo is alot of money....it's called supply and demand...i.e i have an Aygo and lots of people like you would be happy to buy it off me, but cannot afford to do so :D

You do realise that any car can beat any other car. Its down to the driver. If you gave my gran a GTR and gave me a 1L Micra I bet I could beat her.

My mate beat a rolla TS in hs 1.25 Mk6 Fiesta. Doesnt mean the Fiesta is faster, just means the driver of the TS was rubbish and didnt know how to drive his car.

Plus if you give me a Yaris TS Im sure that I would beat the Aygo any day.

Im not having a go as such just expressing my feelings about the price of the car and that it doesnt make sense to buy one at that price when theres possibly better for less

Plus if you give me a Yaris TS Im sure that I would beat the Aygo any day.

Why don't you come sprint racing? There is a ready-made race series for road-legal Toyotas where you can show if you are faster or slower than an Aygo :lol:

I suspect you will be slower, but either way it will be great fun finding out :D

The first race of the season is at Rockingham, but there are six rounds this year and you can either enter all of them and compete for the championship, or just enter ones as you like and race for a trophy on the day.

The web site for the Toyota Sprint Series is here. Rockingham entry details are here.

Looking forward to racing you, ninosport!

Paul.

Ninosport - I agree the Aygo is expensive for what it is (I'd have expected a passenger electric window switch on the left side for the cash I paid) but I keep seeing in the media that motoring is supposedly the cheapest its been in years.

I bought my car 3 door + MMT with A/c for £7.5k in 2007 - this was a pre-registered with 10 miles on the clock. I don't think it was a bad deal at the time. I guess I was lucky to get it when the dealers shouldn't shift the cars and had to buy them themselves off Toyota to still get their sale bonuses!!

I don't think I would have paid £9.5k though.

1st thing I dont own the Yaris no more I have a mr2 Turbo.

2nd thing When I had the Yaris TS my 0-62 time was in the dry 8.56 seconds. I did have a video somewhere where I filmed it but Ive had a search round and cant find it.

3rd thing On paper an Aygo does 0-62 in about 13.5 secs whilst the YTS does it in 8.7 secs and a standard Yaris 1L does it in 13 secs. Im nit saying that you wouldnt beat a Yaris 1L but if the person drove it correctly then on paper you wouldnt win.

Thats nor here nor there cause I will never race you with and I would like to see some videos of an Aygo racing a Yaris just to see what happens cause on paper its a very close race.

I know someone who still has a YTS but hes in Germany at the moment with work and he races Mk4 Golf 2.0 GTis the rubbish (non-turbo) kind and he beats them with ease.

Anyway this thread is going way off track and think we should get back to what I was wanting to know about why people bought them.

So far Ive got, cheap to run, cheap to tax, nice 1st car for young drivers with money, newer, and apparently cheaper than the C1 and 107.

Am I missing anything else?

2nd thing When I had the Yaris TS my 0-62 time was in the dry 8.56 seconds. I did have a video somewhere where I filmed it but Ive had a search round and cant find it.

3rd thing On paper an Aygo does 0-62 in about 13.5 secs whilst the YTS does it in 8.7 secs and a standard Yaris 1L does it in 13 secs. Im nit saying that you wouldnt beat a Yaris 1L but if the person drove it correctly then on paper you wouldnt win.

Thats nor here nor there cause I will never race you with and I would like to see some videos of an Aygo racing a Yaris just to see what happens cause on paper its a very close race.

I know someone who still has a YTS but hes in Germany at the moment with work and he races Mk4 Golf 2.0 GTis the rubbish (non-turbo) kind and he beats them with ease.

Anyway this thread is going way off track and think we should get back to what I was wanting to know about why people bought them.

So far Ive got, cheap to run, cheap to tax, nice 1st car for young drivers with money, newer, and apparently cheaper than the C1 and 107.

Am I missing anything else?

I still seem to be missing the point, you seem to be so against them surely you're not considering buying one? Therefore why do you want to know?

Anyway my reason was simply cost, I have a company van & only use my personal car at the weekend if I have to...mostly get the o/h to drive! I prefer the look of the Aygo compared to the C1/107 but would have considered any of the three as long as it was either Black or Grey, my Aygo appeared in the right place at the right time and at the right price, really like it though, comfortable, smooth drive, nice looking & overall pleased with it.

It might not be a popular reason for getting an Aygo but it was because I couldn't afford Yaris!! :o

Bearing in mind these are very girly reasons to get this car:

My car was an impulse purchase (I went round some dealers to look at cars for someone else!) because of the price and the MMT gearbox offering the economics of a manual. I was also taken at the time by the AUX socket and the large size of the speedometer because my eysight up close is dire (even with glasses). I was also pleased the emissions weren't too bad as cars go and the car looked really cute and shiny in the dealership. :blush: I liked the size of it as I was rubbish at parallel parking and only needed a little run around. Price came into it and the finance deal was attractive. I heard good reports about Toyota and their customer service and from my experience, this remains true.

Thats nor here nor there cause I will never race you

:lol: Have you ever heard the expression, "if you talk the talk you must walk the walk"? You won't have much credibility on here, or anywhere, if you can't back up your words with actions.

In terms of the difference between the p1 Yaris and the Aygo, well I've owned both so I can tell you. The Yaris is billed as a small car which drives like a big car, it's relatively refined and rides nicely. Quite relaxing on a long drive.

The Aygo sells as a small car which drives like a small car---it's fun, agile (less understeery than the Yaris), but less refined and a bit more noisy. The Aygo has a better chassis than the Yaris and gets more handling out of thinner tyres. It's also quite a bit lighter than even the 1-litre Yaris. Toyota really made the effort to keep weight down on the Aygo, hence the sp4rse (haha swear filter :D ) interior, one windscreen wiper, one boot strut, glass boot lid etc.

The three-cylinder engine in the Aygo is a step on from the older four-cylinder 1L engine in the Yaris. The teeny pistons in the four-cylinder meant that the mid-range was a bit soggy, whereas the Aygo engine has much more mid-range grunt. Toyota had to give the Yaris a short gearbox to make reasonable progress, but that meant you were in fifth gear at 30mph, so at 70 the fuel economy was not good. Plus fewer pistons means less internal friction in the engine, saves fuel and makes it rev a bit better.

I used to get about 40-45mpg out of my Yaris. The Aygo, because of its lighter weight and gutsier engine, has a much longer gearbox which sees you getting into fifth at about 50mph, so the economy on the motorway is much better as the revs are lower than the Yaris. I regularly get 60mpg out of the Aygo on a motorway run.

Nothing wrong with the old Yaris, but the Aygo is newer and better, hence the price difference.

Paul.

Aygo takes 13.5 seconds to hit 60? Where'd you get that from, a print magazine? Here's mine measured by Racelogic GPS datalogger ( which is a bit more respectable than "I did 8.5seconds but have lost the proof" :rolleyes:

http://www.zen141854.zen.co.uk/run.jpg

Note that over the first 0.4s wheel spin happened and then later on the MMT auto gearbox was a slow 0.8s to change gear. GPS is pretty damn good isn't it when it can show that :D

Anyway, as you say, getting back to the main point which is why did you you choose to buy a car that does 0-60 in 9+ seconds and does only 35mpg on the combined cycle compared to the bigger, more plush Golf 2.0 GT that does 0-60 in the same claimed time as Toyota does for your car and yet does 55mph on the combined cycle? Or are you going to ignore this again because you have no answer? The reason you bought your car was because you had a set of criteria that it met. Same for all us here. I bought the Aygo because I don't want to spend money on a bigger Yaris that would cost more in the long run because it weighed more and also was bigger and so not as much fun to fling around. And it's %$(ing ugly to boot in Mk2 guise.

You came on this part of the forum to say that we made a stupid choice, your title proves this, but it turns out that your clever choice, ie the car you bought ( so it must be clever right?) was actually pretty dumb as it turns out, when compared to other cars, so your sense of self satisfaction is very much misplaced and you just looks like an ignorant fool.

You have an MR2 turbo eh? Bring it to Rockingham then in March, both me and Paul T will be there. You should be able to beat us easily.

Or are you just a keyboard warrier? ;) Put up or shut up.

Andy

Ninisport we've given you plenty of reasons why we bought them... now stop being so nosey and anti-Aygoish!!! :P

I put a stupid title cause I wanted peoples attension cause if I put why did you buy, it would of got looked over. I dont want to race my mr2, theres no point wasting petrol till it comes down in price. I will also try and find the vid of my Yaris doing 0-62 in 8.5 secs cause Im sure its on 1 of my hard drives if not we'll have to wait for the weather to brighten up and get my mates YTS out for a spin.

Im not hating the Aygo, just never understood the reason of it. Same thing about the IQ. Toyota are now selling 3 small city cars. It doesnt make sense at all why they are doing it. Anyways Ive got my answers. Thank you all for telling me your reasons for buying the Aygo cause its cleared up a few things for me and now going to go annoy the IQ owners and ask why didnt they buy an Aygo seem as its cheaper than the IQ lol.

Mods can close the thread now Ive got my answers.

Paul.

No pic, no proof. :D

You have an MR2 turbo eh? Bring it to Rockingham then in March, both me and Paul T will be there. You should be able to beat us easily.

Or are you just a keyboard warrier? ;) Put up or shut up.

Andy

... LOL :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links