Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis - Is It Really Worth It?

AygoFast

I was looking at getting a new car later this year for possible family on the way, so I was considering an Avensis for size and practicality. However, I'm not keen on the 'taxi driver' image you get from them. So this brings me to the question.. is it worth getting an Avensis for the practicality at the expense of your dignity?

I was looking at getting a new car later this year for possible family on the way, so I was considering an Avensis for size and practicality. However, I'm not keen on the 'taxi driver' image you get from them. So this brings me to the question.. is it worth getting an Avensis for the practicality at the expense of your dignity?

hi mate

i liked 2003-04 shape (only shape) but with problemless engine only.

cheers/Igor

I know what you mean - i did have a new shape avensis last summer. The 2.2 diesel. It took 4 of us down to devon for a week with a baby and all the usual baby things, high chair, travel cot, food etc etc... As well as all the usual luggage you would need for a self catering holiday.

It had tonnes of space and i was very impressed, it actually felt very nice to drive and had decent high 40's MPG.

On those points, i would defiantly recommend it for the short list.

However, i feel the RAV4 makes a better family vehicle and i think it looks a lot better and its just as frugal. We got 50MPG out of the 2.2 140bhp model and it still has plenty of go. With the new shape coming out this summer (i think), you might pick up a old-ish rav for good money.

However, i feel the RAV4 makes a better family vehicle and i think it looks a lot better and its just as frugal. We got 50MPG out of the 2.2 140bhp model and it still has plenty of go. With the new shape coming out this summer (i think), you might pick up a old-ish rav for good money.

Verso :toast:

I know what you mean - i did have a new shape avensis last summer. The 2.2 diesel. It took 4 of us down to devon for a week with a baby and all the usual baby things, high chair, travel cot, food etc etc... As well as all the usual luggage you would need for a self catering holiday.

It had tonnes of space and i was very impressed, it actually felt very nice to drive and had decent high 40's MPG.

On those points, i would defiantly recommend it for the short list.

i personally conside the car must be for all life purposes and roads.

i have recognised those plastic skirt gave me a lot of troubles when parking close to road border.

i deem you ve caught me

cheers/Igor

When you become a parent your dignity will be the least of your problems.:)

Now why do so many "taxi drivers" use them - because the Avensis is roomy and reliable.

When you become a parent your dignity will be the least of your problems.:)

Now why do so many "taxi drivers" use them - because the Avensis is roomy and reliable.

In my opinion, you get a car for a life. Its perfect for a family. Like said before, if you see more and more taxis with toyota and not with, like before mercedes, that should realy teld you something ;)

Regards...

Not as many as there used to be, a lot have moved onto Skoda's.

When Toyota stopped making family cars that could do 400k on the same engine, they started looking elsewhere.

hi mate

if the 'taxi driver' image worries you than you can try looking at the baby lex

good luck

wahid

hi mate

good luck

wahid

Its not got a great image.. immigrant drivers using them as Taxi's

But really I dont care, I got mine to be a work horse, and for the price there isnt much out there for the same money....

Image me here and image me there. It has become a trent to say Toyota's are boring. Undoubtebly because of the taxi image. I don't find them boring. Citroens and Opels are boring. The only thing boring about the Avensis is it's present engine options. Put a turbo on the 2.0 or give us a V6. Or why not a turbo V6, or supercharged. As it is, the best perfomance comes from a diesel. Now let's hope that Akio Toyoda ment what he said about starting to make sporty cars again, as well as going back to the quality standards we know from older Toyota models

hi mate

good luck

wahid

Its not got a great image.. immigrant drivers using them as Taxi's

what the lex or avensis?

If you buy a car by its image - that is sad! I thing practicality, comfort, reliability and budget should be considred (not necessarily in this order). I could not care less about image. You live by your own eyes, not others.

TwoT

Thats why I hate them !Removed! immigrants!!! I live in Birmingham and see quite a few. Does my head in seeing them with that stupid "private hire" Badge!!!! Thanks to them the Avensis is now a taxi car rather than a nice comfortable family car the way it should be.

Having read this thread I just find it incredible that such a question has been put forward :wacko:

It is simple.... if you don't like the Avensis then don't flippin' buy it :rolleyes:

The current model is packed with goodies and shares numerous parts with the Lexus so is this a taxi.... maybe and maybe not. Guess what I have driven a BMW 7 series as a taxi and I have driven a Rolls Royce as a wedding car.... is the Rolls Royce a taxi :unsure: Maybe it can be considered such so does that make it crap.... does that mean the Rolls Royce or BMW have an image problem.... I think not :huh: If a car is purchased simply for an image reason then I suggest that the buyer has a mental problem :yes:

As has been said.... there is little out there on the market that can compete for the price.... I know as I looked around before buying my car last year :thumbsup:

Having read this thread I just find it incredible that such a question has been put forward :wacko:

It is simple.... if you don't like the Avensis then don't flippin' buy it :rolleyes:

The current model is packed with goodies and shares numerous parts with the Lexus so is this a taxi.... maybe and maybe not. Guess what I have driven a BMW 7 series as a taxi and I have driven a Rolls Royce as a wedding car.... is the Rolls Royce a taxi :unsure: Maybe it can be considered such so does that make it crap.... does that mean the Rolls Royce or BMW have an image problem.... I think not :huh: If a car is purchased simply for an image reason then I suggest that the buyer has a mental problem :yes:

As has been said.... there is little out there on the market that can compete for the price.... I know as I looked around before buying my car last year :thumbsup:

Well said Phoenix! Tell you what those taxi drivers aren't stupid whether they are immigrants or not, didn't really like the racist comments to be honest from some of the other replies but maybe I'm just a bit too sensitive :blink: .

Pete.

The first generation Avensis imo is an excellent car if looked after. You can say its a better car than a mondeo, vectra, laguna of the same generation. Only the Primera might rival it on relibility.

The P11 Primera (96-) beat the MKI Avensis in a lot of areas except cabin ambience and engine quietness. Better handling, better ride, more practical interior, better built. I had one as my first car, and later changed to an Avensis, although when the facelift Avensis came out, there was nothing better really as the engines became noisier and harsher.

The P11 Primera (96-) beat the MKI Avensis in a lot of areas except cabin ambience and engine quietness. Better handling, better ride, more practical interior, better built. I had one as my first car, and later changed to an Avensis, although when the facelift Avensis came out, there was nothing better really as the engines became noisier and harsher.

I agree with your observations generally but I chose the P11 Primera over the Avensis of the time (2000) as it was poor in styling when, in my opinion, placed alongside the Primera.... I feel the engines are better now in the Avensis as mine is really quiet and very smooth :yes:

Speaking of engines, the AZ engine family(2.0 and 2.4 I4) didn't get a very long life. I wonder why.

Speaking of engines, the AZ engine family(2.0 and 2.4 I4) didn't get a very long life. I wonder why.

I think the newer replacement engines are full aluminium blocks, the 1AZ engines had cast iron cylinder liners. Would aluminum engines actually be usable as much as the older cast iron engines?

I think the newer replacement engines are full aluminium blocks, the 1AZ engines had cast iron cylinder liners. Would aluminum engines actually be usable as much as the older cast iron engines?

I wonder that too. However aluminium seems to be the material all new engines are made off. We know it's lighter. Question is, can it compete in quality with iron or steel.

Another thing, the 2.0 1AZ-FE/FSE was a square engine. Just like the 3S-FE/GE/GTE was a square engine. The 3ZR is undersquared. So is the 2ZR. In fact the only oversquared member of the ZR family is the 1.6 litre 1ZR. The 3 engines share the same bore.

I doubt anyone on here knows why.... I certainly don't as I am not the most technically minded as frankly don't have a clue as to what the AZ engine is :lol:

I doubt anyone on here knows why.... I certainly don't as I am not the most technically minded as frankly don't have a clue as to what the AZ engine is :lol:

The 1AZ was the 2.0 litre engine, found in the MK1 Avensis after 2000 as well as the MK2 Avensis. The 2AZ was the 2.4 found in the MK2 Avensis, Camry, the US version of the Corolla, Matrix as well as some JDM Auris's. The 1AZ was, as previously mentioned square with a 86/86 mm bore/stroke ratio, the same as the 3S, making it good at combining overall torque and peak power. The 1AZ has been replaced with the 3ZR in the Avensis. The 3ZR is an undersquared engine, which is good for low end torque, but limited when it comes to high rpm.

Now, some people may believe that new technology makes that irrelevant, but it doesn't. It's a law of nature that undersquared engine can't rev high because of piston speed and friction.

Thanks for the info :)

....The 3ZR is an undersquared engine, which is good for low end torque, but limited when it comes to high rpm.....

That says enough to me in that I suggest that this engine is far better for day to day driving and especially as the Avensis was never meant to be a performance car :yes: