Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis - Is It Really Worth It?

AygoFast

Speaking of engines, the AZ engine family(2.0 and 2.4 I4) didn't get a very long life. I wonder why.

I doubt anyone on here knows why.... I certainly don't as I am not the most technically minded as frankly don't have a clue as to what the AZ engine is :lol:

The 1AZ was the 2.0 litre engine, found in the MK1 Avensis after 2000 as well as the MK2 Avensis. The 2AZ was the 2.4 found in the MK2 Avensis, Camry, the US version of the Corolla, Matrix as well as some JDM Auris's. The 1AZ was, as previously mentioned square with a 86/86 mm bore/stroke ratio, the same as the 3S, making it good at combining overall torque and peak power. The 1AZ has been replaced with the 3ZR in the Avensis. The 3ZR is an undersquared engine, which is good for low end torque, but limited when it comes to high rpm.

Now, some people may believe that new technology makes that irrelevant, but it doesn't. It's a law of nature that undersquared engine can't rev high because of piston speed and friction.

I would think the actual reason for the older MK1 avensis living that long is purely because they are very less complicated and also because the engines were made of cast iron - meaning longer life. Surely a 20 year old engine design would be really good compared to a new engine design and the problems it brings along with it(oil drinking,head gasket...)

Thanks for the info :)
....The 3ZR is an undersquared engine, which is good for low end torque, but limited when it comes to high rpm.....

That says enough to me in that I suggest that this engine is far better for day to day driving and especially as the Avensis was never meant to be a performance car :yes:

Meant to be or not, a lot of family cars have performance versions in their lineup and sooner or later Toyota will have to face that fact. Appart from that, an even squared engine can also work very smooth on your daily drive. However if you want real power from an undersquared engine, you need a turbo.

Speaking of engines, the AZ engine family(2.0 and 2.4 I4) didn't get a very long life. I wonder why.

I doubt anyone on here knows why.... I certainly don't as I am not the most technically minded as frankly don't have a clue as to what the AZ engine is :lol:

The 1AZ was the 2.0 litre engine, found in the MK1 Avensis after 2000 as well as the MK2 Avensis. The 2AZ was the 2.4 found in the MK2 Avensis, Camry, the US version of the Corolla, Matrix as well as some JDM Auris's. The 1AZ was, as previously mentioned square with a 86/86 mm bore/stroke ratio, the same as the 3S, making it good at combining overall torque and peak power. The 1AZ has been replaced with the 3ZR in the Avensis. The 3ZR is an undersquared engine, which is good for low end torque, but limited when it comes to high rpm.

Now, some people may believe that new technology makes that irrelevant, but it doesn't. It's a law of nature that undersquared engine can't rev high because of piston speed and friction.

I would think the actual reason for the older MK1 avensis living that long is purely because they are very less complicated and also because the engines were made of cast iron - meaning longer life. Surely a 20 year old engine design would be really good compared to a new engine design and the problems it brings along with it(oil drinking,head gasket...)

Agree with you on that one, but somebody decited that it was time to change. And now somebody decited it was time to change again. Question is, will this new engine be used for 5, 10 or 20 years? And what is the actual advantage of aluminium, except for being ligther. The impact on the overall weight of the car can't be the only thing. Do they perform better, or are they more economical? Surely aluminium is deerer than iron.

The 3S-FE 2.0 (Toyota's best 4 cylinder engine) was retired after 20+ years largely due to new emissions regulations (ever heard how the exhaust burbles at idle?).

The 2.0 and 2.4 VVTi only lasted a few years because of head-gasket failure IMO, rather like the 1.8 VVTi only had about a 7 year run because the oil-burning issue was never properly fixed.

The 3S-FE 2.0 (Toyota's best 4 cylinder engine) was retired after 20+ years largely due to new emissions regulations (ever heard how the exhaust burbles at idle?).

The 2.0 and 2.4 VVTi only lasted a few years because of head-gasket failure IMO, rather like the 1.8 VVTi only had about a 7 year run because the oil-burning issue was never properly fixed.

I hear the exhaust burble every day. Just figured it was a small leak somewhere, since it's the same exhaust as when the car was new. Probebly is too. But why would the AZ engine be supperiour to the S engine in regards of emissions? I know the S engine we know in Europe didn't have vvt-i, but there are versions of the 3S-FE made for the JDM, that had both vvt-i and D4, so apart from that, what is the advantage?

The first generation Avensis imo is an excellent car if looked after. You can say its a better car than a mondeo, vectra, laguna of the same generation. Only the Primera might rival it on relibility.

Rubbish, all of those cars are better and more reliable than an Avensis

The first generation Avensis imo is an excellent car if looked after. You can say its a better car than a mondeo, vectra, laguna of the same generation. Only the Primera might rival it on relibility.

Rubbish, all of those cars are better and more reliable than an Avensis

actually I doubt that they are more reliable & as for better well that's very subjective - what may be better for me may be worse for your needs/wants.

Call me subjetive or even judgemental, but i would never buy anything french, anything called Ford or anything called Opel. As for Nissan, they are probebly good cars, just never had one.

As for Nissan, they are probebly good cars, just never had one.

Were until Renault essentially took them over.

:D ;)

Same as Saab, before GM took them over. Allthough i don't like Ford's cars, they deserve some credit for their policy towards manufacturers they bought or had a stake in. They didn't interfer in the way their smaller syblins made their cars and even took technoligy from them to use in their own cars. Several of the engines used in Ford's are designed by Mazda of Volvo. Unlike GM did with Saab and as you claim Renault did with Nissan.

:D ;)

I know I will get something thrown at me here, but I had a Peugeot before (406)..., and another one before that (405)... I have enjoyed them - they were fun to drive and the 405 very reliable and also the 406 (until it died completely at 130k...). I would never say never. They have their good points as a car but service was abysmal. I still miss the 70Liter tank that allowed me to finish the week (even the new Avensis model has 60 liter...)

That said, I do like the Avensis, it is a mile muncher effortlessly.

TwoT

I was looking at getting a new car later this year for possible family on the way, so I was considering an Avensis for size and practicality. However, I'm not keen on the 'taxi driver' image you get from them. So this brings me to the question.. is it worth getting an Avensis for the practicality at the expense of your dignity?

Ummmm, not trying to be in any way offensive here, but IMHO the least of your probs is what kind of car to get. If your dignity is defined by your material possesions .... personaly I'd be considering if extending the family is a sensible idea in the first place.

:D :D

the only problem with nissan is there is to much renault influnce to many electrical problems diesel engines are now renault which i why i changed to toyota avensis tourer 2006 1.8 t4 which is the best car i have bought

the only problem with nissan is there is to much renault influnce to many electrical problems diesel engines are now renault which i why i changed to toyota avensis tourer 2006 1.8 t4 which is the best car i have bought

Strange really. One migth expect Nissan to be the stronger part in that merger, but apparently Renault is calling the shots.

I mean, Renault is not very big except for in Europe and France in particular, where as Nissan is, if not a major, then an average player on a global basis. They made some pretty good engines too in the past.

Strange really. One migth expect Nissan to be the stronger part in that merger, but apparently Renault is calling the shots.

I mean, Renault is not very big except for in Europe and France in particular, where as Nissan is, if not a major, then an average player on a global basis. They made some pretty good engines too in the past.

In the late 90's Nissan were very close to being bankrupt, Renault came in and bought a significant stake in Nissan in return for Renault's CEO, head of finance and other executives taking control.

So all the 2000 onwards Nissans started sharing parts, having cost cutting etc, one example was the current Micra when it first came out which takes less than 5 hours from rolled metal to being a finished car, I read somewhere the earlier Micra took something like 11 hours to make. Probably part of the reason why everything is held in with clips and they come apart very easily these days, whereas the old Nissans used to break your tools trying to take them apart!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links