Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uk Road Tax

AygoYugo

Jammy gits, my Yaris only missed that band by 6 CO2's! :lol:

I've got to renew mine by 28th Feb so will have to pay £35 - an extra £15 for the sake of one month. I know it's still very cheap but is there anyway of getting some form of reufnd or some way round paying out the £35???

I am looking forward to this but the best surprise was when I brought my Aygo to the UK with me because to tax an Aygo in Ireland its 175 euros! and dont hold me to it but Ithink that went up this year.

I've got to renew mine by 28th Feb so will have to pay £35 - an extra £15 for the sake of one month. I know it's still very cheap but is there anyway of getting some form of reufnd or some way round paying out the £35???

You could SORN it for a month if you have another car or another way of getting around.

You could SORN it for a month if you have another car or another way of getting around.

Yes - take it off the road for March and get the polish out :thumbsup:

The only way round it I can think of would be to buy the tax now; but then send it for refund at the end of February 2010 and on the same day by a new RFL starting 1st March. That way you will benefit from the reduced rate and your renewal will always be for the rate of excise duty due from 1st March.

The only way round it I can think of would be to buy the tax now; but then send it for refund at the end of February 2010 and on the same day by a new RFL starting 1st March. That way you will benefit from the reduced rate and your renewal will always be for the rate of excise duty due from 1st March.

Thanks for the advice -I can't sorn it for a month so that's out. It could always work in my favour though, if the tax was to increase next(or any future) year as I would get the lower price in Feb before the increase in April - so it's probably swings & roundabouts really - that is unless it goes down to zero.

With regards to a refund - is it given on a pro-rata basis ie: 12 months / £35 = £3.42 per month? Giving me back 11 months worth £31.58. Im sure they would probably take an admin charge which wouldn't make it worthwhile. Too much botheration to gain £11.58 at best I reckon!

IIRC then you don't face a refund charge on a 12 month tax disc - six month yes, but not 12. And the refund will be pro-rata, meaning you will loose February's worth of tax and get back 11 months.

As for botheration, well thats up to you, but if it means even spending a little more this year to ensure the next year and the following years one can benefit, seems like a good result to me? Thankfully there's lots of folk out there who 'for the sake of a few pennies' are willing to give the Govt. free money.

Hopefully through such selfless actions, it will help pull our Country out of the debt crisis faster. Me? I'll keep my every penny I can because I know how best I should spend it.

Same goes for people who find it embarrassing to haggle or to push harder for a discount - just means that when I go to buy, I can push that bit harder and walk out with a better deal ;)

Its going to make no difference in my household, the AYGO is dropping from £35.00 to £20.00 and the 2.8 Celica-Supra is going from £195.00 to £205.00 :crybaby::crybaby::rolleyes:

IIRC then you don't face a refund charge on a 12 month tax disc - six month yes, but not 12. And the refund will be pro-rata, meaning you will loose February's worth of tax and get back 11 months.

As for botheration, well thats up to you, but if it means even spending a little more this year to ensure the next year and the following years one can benefit, seems like a good result to me? Thankfully there's lots of folk out there who 'for the sake of a few pennies' are willing to give the Govt. free money.

Hopefully through such selfless actions, it will help pull our Country out of the debt crisis faster. Me? I'll keep my every penny I can because I know how best I should spend it.

Same goes for people who find it embarrassing to haggle or to push harder for a discount - just means that when I go to buy, I can push that bit harder and walk out with a better deal ;)

I usually push for every discount I can. I just got £100 off next years insurance (using that fat bloke - gocompare - hate the adverts) by changing from Tesco to RAC & got £20 off my up-coming 2nd year service just by telling the dealer what I wanted to pay. I would go for the tax refund & renew in April if I thought the tax may go to zero next year. Does anyone have any idea if the tax is likely to go up or down next year, taking into consideration that we may have a tory govt. in place???

Considering you've forked out around 9k for the car, I wouldn't complain about a small figure like that.

Its going to make no difference in my household, the AYGO is dropping from £35.00 to £20.00 and the 2.8 Celica-Supra is going from £195.00 to £205.00 :crybaby::crybaby::rolleyes:

That's not true, you will be £5 better off. With that £5 you could buy ... 3 months road tax ! 3 months road tax for free in effect, golly it sounds like a cracking deal now.

Or a pint and some chips from the chippy.. even better!

You can tell I'm from up north, £5 is a lot of money from where I come. When I was a child I got £5 pocket money. Not a week, in my entire childhood. And I was a child until I was 29 years old, because we couldn't afford to grow up on my council estate.

Andy

That's not true, you will be £5 better off. With that £5 you could buy ... 3 months road tax ! 3 months road tax for free in effect, golly it sounds like a cracking deal now.

Or a pint and some chips from the chippy.. even better!

You can tell I'm from up north, £5 is a lot of money from where I come. When I was a child I got £5 pocket money. Not a week, in my entire childhood. And I was a child until I was 29 years old, because we couldn't afford to grow up on my council estate.

Andy

From up north...your siggy saids you come from Sevenoaks :lol: and yes you're right I'm £5.00 better off ...now how can i spoil myself with that sum of money :)

errrrm... £20 tax sounds pretty sweeeet to me but...

if my car has its 2nd MOT by 10th January, my tax it due on the 1st of January...

what would happen if the MOT proved that the emissions were above that of a standard Aygo due to modifications?! :unsure:

James

I hate you all! :angry:

My road tax will be £235 from April :crybaby:

Still... at least i'm doing my bit for global warming... have to try and get rid of this snow somehow! :lol:

if my car has its 2nd MOT by 10th January, my tax it due on the 1st of January...

what would happen if the MOT proved that the emissions were above that of a standard Aygo due to modifications?! :unsure:

James

The VED (road tax) is based on the official CO2 levels so any future readings will not affect the duty.Modify and be merry. :D

Still... at least i'm doing my bit for global warming... have to try and get rid of this snow somehow! :lol:

Me too!

Although I think it's a little unfair that older cars are based on the engine size, i've got a 3.0 V6 Camry, but my dad's 4.0 V8 LS400 is cheaper to tax because it doesn't fall under the emissions rated tax.

Perhaps all these cars without cats etc aught to be charged £1,000 a year road tax since a modern supermini apparently gives out less C02 that a petrol driven lawnmower.

James

The VED (road tax) is based on the official CO2 levels so any future readings will not affect the duty.Modify and be merry. :D

AWESOME! :D

Just received my car tax renewal on my 2008 Aygo Blue which is due April 2010,(last years runs out 31/03/2010) but it is asking for £35. I thought it is only £20 from april 2010.

Greigster

Just received my car tax renewal on my 2008 Aygo Blue which is due April 2010,(last years runs out 31/03/2010) but it is asking for £35. I thought it is only £20 from april 2010.

Greigster

The clue is in the expression "runs out 31/03/2010" not quite April 2010 :unsure: