Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uk Road Tax

AygoYugo

Just phoned up DVLA and spoke to a lady that said £20 rate is for new vehicles only........she did not sound all that bright! I have again checked the DVLA web site and it quotes as 2009/2010 £35 and 2010/2011 £20 so called the DVLA helpline again and was told that it should be £20 but he could not tell me why the renewal was for £35 or why when I went through the "pay online vehicle tax system" it wanted to take £35 (cancelled the payment before I had finalised) and his reason for not telling me was that "no one at DVLA had received any training on the new tax banding/pricing"

I worry that many people could get caught out and overcharged.

Yet another government department that is broken.

Greigster

Just received my car tax renewal on my 2008 Aygo Blue which is due April 2010,(last years runs out 31/03/2010) but it is asking for £35. I thought it is only £20 from april 2010.

Greigster

The clue is in the expression "runs out 31/03/2010" not quite April 2010 :unsure:

Strange reply, but very helpful ;)

And I thought the clue was "due in April". Not rocket surgery :rolleyes:

Just received my car tax renewal on my 2008 Aygo Blue which is due April 2010,(last years runs out 31/03/2010) but it is asking for £35. I thought it is only £20 from april 2010.

Greigster

The clue is in the expression "runs out 31/03/2010" not quite April 2010 :unsure:

Just got my renewal which is due on the 1st of april 2010 and there asking for £ 35 !! this should be £20 i've checked parkers, what car, the AA etc all say £20. I tried to phone DVLA and a recorded message said due to industrial action no one is there to take the call....!!!

Greigster

Just got my renewal which is due on the 1st of april 2010 and there asking for £ 35 !! this should be £20 i've checked parkers, what car, the AA etc all say £20. I tried to phone DVLA and a recorded message said due to industrial action no one is there to take the call....!!!

Ditto with me, says "Renewal for 1st April 2010 for 12 months : £35". Yet on the website it clearly says "from April 2010 Band B vehicles pay £20 for 12 months". Gonna phone them tomorrow to clarify, will report back.

Make sure you renew your tax on the 1st April and not before. That way you will be in the April time slot for the cheaper tax. Do it at a Post Office as well or your local DVLA office if you have one near you.

Make sure you renew your tax on the 1st April and not before. That way you will be in the April time slot for the cheaper tax. Do it at a Post Office as well or your local DVLA office if you have one near you.

Good advice, I will renew at the Post Office in future as I think that they get commission and I will not have to deal with a bunch of half wits from DVLA

You can renew online too, quite a straightforward process...

Doing it person you can argue the toss that’s its £20 and not £30/£35, on line then the prices will be set at the old rate. Take a printout of the new rates with you :thumbsup:

Doing it person you can argue the toss that’s its £20 and not £30/£35, on line then the prices will be set at the old rate. Take a printout of the new rates with you :thumbsup:

I think that renewing at the post office earns them some commission and costs DVLA, but renewing online means that DVLA get to keep all the money, so for me it makes more sense to support my local post office. There are too many post offices closing through lack of support from the public and it beats trying to deal with the DVLA goons

I tried to renew via post for £20. I included a printout from their website with the £20 rate for Band B car hi-lited informing them that my renewal was dated 1st April 2010 so should be £20 for 12 months.

Got it all back in the post today with a letter simply saying "I am returning your application because the payment you sent was wrong. You should have sent £35 for 12 months tax"

What utter pratts, totally ignored my printout and note! Going to renew in the post office on the 1st April, if they don't take £20 I will kick up a right fuss!!

Hi Everyone

I can clear this mess up for you all! :)

I got my renewal through the other day (mine expires 31/03/2010). It said £35 which I know is wrong.

I always renew online, and thought when I put my details in it would revert to the correct £20. It didn't, so I didn't renew it.

I sent an email to the berks at DVLA asking the reason for the incorrect charge. To my surprise, I recieved a reply which included the following paragraph :

"I should clarify the new rates of duty as detailed on our website will take effect on 1st April. If you tax the vehicle before the 1st April you will pay the current rate, if you tax the vehicle on or after the 1st April you will pay the rate that comes into force on the 1st April £20 for your vehicle."

Their stoopid systems obviousley cannot cope with this taxing issue of taking the new payment before the 1st!

So the moral of this story is renew your tax in person at the post office on the 1st April and it'll be £20 !

Happy days :)

Hi Everyone

I can clear this mess up for you all! :)

I got my renewal through the other day (mine expires 31/03/2010). It said £35 which I know is wrong.

I always renew online, and thought when I put my details in it would revert to the correct £20. It didn't, so I didn't renew it.

I sent an email to the berks at DVLA asking the reason for the incorrect charge. To my surprise, I recieved a reply which included the following paragraph :

"I should clarify the new rates of duty as detailed on our website will take effect on 1st April. If you tax the vehicle before the 1st April you will pay the current rate, if you tax the vehicle on or after the 1st April you will pay the rate that comes into force on the 1st April £20 for your vehicle."

Their stoopid systems obviousley cannot cope with this taxing issue of taking the new payment before the 1st!

So the moral of this story is renew your tax in person at the post office on the 1st April and it'll be £20 !

Happy days :)

The problem is that if you have to drive to a post office on the 1st to get your car tax or your car is kept on the road from midnight on 31st, your vehicle will be illegal. What a bunch of T w@ts we have in the government departments.

I wonder if you have a vehicle with a tax increase from 1/4/2010, you will get it at the old lower price?

The problem is that if you have to drive to a post office on the 1st to get your car tax or your car is kept on the road from midnight on 31st, your vehicle will be illegal. What a bunch of such an incredibly beautiful personts we have in the government departments

Meh! That morning just stick a note in the holder saying "tax applied for", but drive str8 to the post office. Not our fault the DVLA wont except our applications before 1st April at their advertised rates.

Hate to say "I told you so"... But I will...

I told you so :lol:

Save yourself £15 and do it on or after the 1st April. With petrol being at record prices, fifteen pounds is a lot of miles and almost another years road tax :thumbsup:

I wonder if you have a vehicle with a tax increase from 1/4/2010, you will get it at the old lower price?

Good point. I was thinking about that the other day. You can bet the system can handle upping their tax before the 1st ! :censor:

Don't forget we also have a budget next week, so in theory anything could happen. Although I doubt a rise is Road Tax for smaller cars is either a vote winner or going to save the UK economy it could happen.

Road tax was set at a previous budget, this Aprils changes have been delayed since last April, it’s the fuel duty that will cripple all the drivers :censor:

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to Post Office and taxed mine...

£20 ! Get in. :)

Snap! :thumbsup: The woman in the post office said "£20 for 12 months?! What sort of a car is that?!" LOL

She seemed very confused that the prices had all changed today, it was only announced 12 months ago! :rolleyes:

Ditto for me, £20 at the post office. I will always use the post office for my car tax in future as they need our support. Also it does the [I am a sad muppet for trying to beat the swearfilter] at DVLA out of a few bob.

• 1 month later...

I taxed my Blue online today.

I actually enjoyed paying the 20 quid !

I tax mine on line, saves fuel and time going to a post office, and I also get a nicely printed tax disc and not a hand written one! :lol:

i'm mildly tempted to get a pro rata refund on my tax and buy a fresh year for cheaper than my money back!

i'm mildly tempted to get a pro rata refund on my tax and buy a fresh year for cheaper than my money back!

If the figures are in your favour I would do that :thumbsup: