Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Else Have Problems After Pedal Recall

Lancs_lad

My wife has a Yaris 1.4 d4d and prior to the pedal recall had no problems at all. Shehas now had the recall work done and has an intermittent problem with the accelerator which at times does not respond to pressure. I thought it was her imagination until yesterday it happened to me. Basically setting off in first gear it doesn't always respond to the pedal being pressed or there's a delay before it picks up.

I had it back into the dealers yesterday and they checked it out and say there's nothing wrong with it. She's used the car again today and it's happened again so we're not too happy at the moment.

I'm just trying to find if anyone else has a similar experience.

I would say to keep a log of when it happens: Write down when it happens and how many times throughout the day it does it.

If you need to take it back again, demand that it is road tested for long enough to notice, maybe it was only road tested for a mile around the block for example.

Maybe it needs a new pedal mechanism altogether?

EDIT....Sorry, accidentaly did a duplicate post. :wacko:

I would say to keep a log of when it happens: Write down when it happens and how many times throughout the day it does it.

If you need to take it back again, demand that it is road tested for long enough to notice, maybe it was only road tested for a mile around the block for example.

Maybe it needs a new pedal mechanism altogether?

EDIT....Sorry, accidentaly did a duplicate post. :wacko:

Your duplicated post deleted :thumbsup:

Had mine done last Saturday morning. Can't say that I've noticed any difference. I did put the mat back though afterwards. When I got the car back the drivers mat was in the boot. The guy said that they've been told to do that if the mat wasn't secured by those lovely clips.

Had mine done last Saturday morning. Can't say that I've noticed any difference. I did put the mat back though afterwards. When I got the car back the drivers mat was in the boot. The guy said that they've been told to do that if the mat wasn't secured by those lovely clips.

It is very dangerous to have unsecured mats floating round under the pedals, that is why Toyota supply clips to secure it and that is why it was removed. Get it secured or bin it

Kingo :thumbsup:

UNBELIEVABLE!! :eek:

You need saving from yourself. :rolleyes:

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE ADVICE GIVEN BY YOUR DEALER AND THAT OF PARTS-KING ABOVE AND EITHER GET YOUR MAT SECURED OR BIN IT

I'd bet that 99% of cars on the road which have car mats don't have them secured down. Admittedly, it is a good idea (and my drivers one is secured) but whats with all the scaremongering.

but whats with all the scaremongering.

Believe it or not we get weekly visits from customers with various conditions such as, my clutch pedal sticks, I hear a flapping noise when operating the clutch, my car has no power, and the occasional, my throttle sticks, ALL directly relating to mats not secured or universal fit or mats fitted on top of mats :eek: Yes it is that unbelievable but happens all the time

I have seen a guy drive a car where the brakes did not work due to the car mat being scrunched up under the brake pedal.

People driving like that are a danger to others and obviously oblivious to their own or anyone else's safety.

(I thought of a phrase saying what they had for brains but decided it was too rude - although accurate)..

I have always used after-market rubber mats which are stiff and fairly rigid. I cut a couple of holes in the back edge and secure the drivers mat to the drivers seat using a couple of re-usable nylon cable ties - then I know the mats won't slip forward. In fact many mats come with holes already in them so for the sake of a quid it's an easily added safety measure.:)

It always make me angry how many people fail to ensure their car mats ain't properly fitted but if you suggested they leave a loose mat at the top of the stairs at home they would think you're crazy.:)

On the topic of the accelerator, make sure you drive with some caution whilst there's still a potential issue and as said note down when it happens, weather, if the engine was cold/hot etc. It could all help point to an issue and rule things out. I hope you get it sorted and back to the way you know it to be.

As for the car mats, I don't have any in my car for the simple fact I wont have anything non genuine that doesnt clip into the footwell. And T-Sport mats cost more than Im willing to pay for! haha

Wow - that was some response to a few words. Looks like I'm going to remain a danger to other road users then since I'm keeping the mat there. The clips do keep it in place for a while but they pop out after some time. Even without the clips the mat hardly moves so I'm not taking it out.

I think its down to common sense and awareness. Some drivers have it and many do not.

The dealers can't take any chances and certainly can't be seen to be liable by replacing unsecured mats into the drivers footwell.

I suspect most people who have the interest and sense to be on this forum, also have the sense to know when they have mats that are fouling the pedals and to do something about it - but as parts-king says, there are loads of others out there who haven't the common sense or interest to be able to look after themselves....

They will be the same sort of people that stand for ages at traffic lights waiting for the pedestrian light to tell them to cross, when the road is empty and anyone with awareness has crossed already, using their eyes and ears to decide for themselves whether its safe to cross the road....

I was waiting to collect my Audi from service yesterday when someone booking his car in said "pease will you be sure to check the tyre pressures, as they've not been checked since it was last in for a service 18 months ago....".

Beggars belief that there are people out htere with no interest in their own safety, but I suspect parts-king has many stories of people with "**** for brains" that would frighten us all to death.....

but I suspect parts-king has many stories of people with "**** for brains" that would frighten us all to death.....

When I was a lad (here we go lol) We used to pick up an old Mini for a lady. It was due a service and MOT. On ispection the tyres were as bald as a coot, threads hanging out of them and a real danger! I called and told her she needed two new tyres on the front, her reply?........................

Ooooh thats a shame, them tyres have been good uns...............they never used a drop of air! :lol: :lol: :lol:

She quite happily checked the pressures but never saw the missing tread and threads hanging out the sides

There are more but maybe I should start a fresh topic ;)

Lets start a new thread - it could be real fun.....

I've got another good one that I'll use to start it off....

My wife has a Yaris 1.4 d4d and prior to the pedal recall had no problems at all. Shehas now had the recall work done and has an intermittent problem with the accelerator which at times does not respond to pressure. I thought it was her imagination until yesterday it happened to me. Basically setting off in first gear it doesn't always respond to the pedal being pressed or there's a delay before it picks up.

I had it back into the dealers yesterday and they checked it out and say there's nothing wrong with it. She's used the car again today and it's happened again so we're not too happy at the moment.

You know it makes me really angry , despite everything that has happened in the lead up to the pedal recall and since including a personal apology from the president of Toyota in that Toyota will listen to and take their customers seriously when they complain in the future that something is not quite right with their car , that your dealer is telling you that there's nothing wrong with your car when there quite clearly is , what would happen if you had a car bearing down on you and you put your foot down to get out of the way but your car stays where it is . It beggars belief really , there's no way i would accept their explanation , ask to see the manager , be very firm , if you get nowhere with him then go to toyota customer services and go to the top , demand that they get it sorted a.s.a.p , this is not me scare mongering by the way , i call it as i see it , the fact that Toyota did not listen when some customers complained is what landed toyota in the brown stuff in the first place .

As regards noticing any difference after the pedal fix has been completed , i have noticed that my pedal feels much lighter when depressed , but fortunately no flat spots , as said i would'nt accept it .

You know it makes me really angry , despite everything that has happened in the lead up to the pedal recall and since including a personal apology from the president of Toyota in that Toyota will listen to and take their customers seriously when they complain in the future that something is not quite right with their car , that your dealer is telling you that there's nothing wrong with your car when there quite clearly is , what would happen if you had a car bearing down on you and you put your foot down to get out of the way but your car stays where it is . It beggars belief really , there's no way i would accept their explanation , ask to see the manager , be very firm , if you get nowhere with him then go to toyota customer services and go to the top , demand that they get it sorted a.s.a.p , this is not me scare mongering by the way , i call it as i see it , the fact that Toyota did not listen when some customers complained is what landed toyota in the brown stuff in the first place .

As regards noticing any difference after the pedal fix has been completed , i have noticed that my pedal feels much lighter when depressed , but fortunately no flat spots , as said i would'nt accept it .

I have no issues at all with the dealer (Pentagon Sheffield). They have been excellent from the time we bought the car and have always gone out of their way to help. My wife is actually a driving istructor and they booked the pedal recall immediately for her. I took the car back on Monay and they couldn't find a fault with it. On Tuesday the fault manifested itself again so I rang back and was told they had actually already ordered a new pedal assembly (on Back order) and as long as they receive it will fit it when the car goes in for service on 8th March. Again I really can't praise the dealer highly enough - the post was an attempt to establish if anyone else had any issues after the mod but appears to have changed to issues with carpets in the main ;) (the main reason we're not happy is that we now have a faulty accelerator due to the recall)

I would have thought that they would re-do the job for anyone who was not happy, in the circumstances.. Also, any car presented with mats that are missing a retaining clip, provided they are genuine parts, I would suggest it proper for Toyota to fit a new clip, not put the mat in the boot. This would take seconds, cost pennies and do a bit to make amends to loyal customers.

That said, i have a genuine clip, still in A1 condition, despite the mats now needing replacement. Have a new set to go in when I hoover, etc and the new set has a new clip, I will keep as a spare!

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.8 SR was not effected, but the wifes 1.4D was. Hers was done 2 weeks ago and since then in first gear its very very juddery. You get next to no clutch control, and as a consiquence its going back next Wednesday and if they say "no fault found" then I will be rejecting their recall pedal.

They should not be able to change parts due to their own negligence and then leave you with a car that feels different than before. We have both driven the car and its next to imposible to perform any drving in 1st hear smoothly.

Today though we did receive £20 M&S vouchers from Mr Toyota - nice - but would still rather our car feel the same as previously.

My 1.8 SR was not effected, but the wifes 1.4D was. Hers was done 2 weeks ago and since then in first gear its very very juddery. You get next to no clutch control, and as a consiquence its going back next Wednesday and if they say "no fault found" then I will be rejecting their recall pedal.

They should not be able to change parts due to their own negligence and then leave you with a car that feels different than before. We have both driven the car and its next to imposible to perform any drving in 1st hear smoothly.

Today though we did receive £20 M&S vouchers from Mr Toyota - nice - but would still rather our car feel the same as previously.

I take it you're from Sheffield looking at your user name. We actually used Pentagon for our recall (we also got a free valet voucher with ours). The pedal assembly has now been replaced with a completely new pedal and is far better. Stick to your guns and insist on a new pedal if you're not happy.

I'm just trying to find if anyone else has a similar experience.

My neighbour has a Yaris and she is experiencing the same problem after having the recall work done.

My neighbour has a Yaris and she is experiencing the same problem after having the recall work done.

The new pedal assembly has solved the issue (so far anyway).

I have not had the throttle pedal work done, but my 09 Yaris has a delay on the pedal on 1st gear anyway. I assume it is due to the pressure being electronically controlled rather than directly linked to the engine. I got used to it, but personally hate it!

I always stalled the engine in the first weeks of driving, as I could not hear the rpms going up. Now I know how to drive, but still is unusual.

Toyota DO NOT have my permission to modify my accelerator pedal.

They do have my permission to CHANGE the pedal assembly for a new one that isn’t affected by the recall.

I will keep you informed on how I get on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links