Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Swap

SF695

Just out of curiousity, could i swap the 3S-FE in my Avensis with a 5S-FE without any major modification to other parts?

Not saying i'm gonna do it, but got the idea when i saw and old, but low mileage Camry for sale for a low price.

Why not just buy a Camry? More spec, bigger, much better built etc.

Not particularely found of big cars. And if i bought a Camry i would buy a V6, which sadly only comes with auto transmission. The 3S-FE is a great engine, but it could better show what it was worth in the ligther Carina's. The torque of the 5S-FE in an Avensis would match the lower weight of the Carina

Why not just buy a Camry? More spec, bigger, much better built etc.

Not particularely found of big cars. And if i bought a Camry i would buy a V6, which sadly only comes with auto transmission. The 3S-FE is a great engine, but it could better show what it was worth in the ligther Carina's. The torque of the 5S-FE in an Avensis would match the lower weight of the Carina

Why sadly only comes in auto? In the real world their quicker, the official 0-60 was only half a second slower which you can never match in a manual and really suits the low down torque that the pre-vvti engines had, far superior.

I just don't like autos. Takes the feeling of driving away. And they are indeed slower as well as thirstier. At least the old once were.

Still think auto's are the work of the devil.

On the other hand, back to subject, the stock 5S-FE revs lower than the 3S-FE. So, to gain any real advantage i would have to change the transmission or make it rev higher. Othervise i would just have to change gear earlier and doubt the extra torque is wearth that.

i have done a 3S-gte conversion to an avensis. it is best if you use the gearbox for the engine you are using as the ratios are better suited. depending on bolt pattern (and i think they are the same) you can use the celica box from the ST-202 might be a bit better. the drive shafts etc should all be the same.

you will need the loom and ecu as well as the wiring diagram for both engines as there is likely to be some work there as well

i have done a 3S-gte conversion to an avensis. it is best if you use the gearbox for the engine you are using as the ratios are better suited. depending on bolt pattern (and i think they are the same) you can use the celica box from the ST-202 might be a bit better. the drive shafts etc should all be the same.

you will need the loom and ecu as well as the wiring diagram for both engines as there is likely to be some work there as well

Thanks for the reply. But don't think i'm going 3S-GE on this car. Only way to get a 3S-GE is to take it from a Celica and if i got hands on a Celica i might as well keep it. I was thinking 5S-FE after seeing an cheap old Camry for sale. However the 5S-FE revs lower than the 3S-FE, which means less speed in each gear. If i came across a wrecked Celica with the engine intact, i might go for that.

there are a few celicas being broken now as they tend to fetch more in parts than whole cars

there are a few celicas being broken now as they tend to fetch more in parts than whole cars

Not that many of them around here, since they were pretty expensive. Cars here in general are at least twice as expensive as in UK. The ones that are around are pretty well taken care off. Too well to rip the engine out of them.

Anyway, i changed my mind about the 5S-FE. Stupid idea, unless i get another transmission as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links