Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spark Plugs

super

:rolleyes: I know this may sound stupid, but I've always had diesel cars before and my Fun Cargo is my first petrol car...

I just removed the plastic cover of the engine to have a look at it, and found there are 4 spark plugs on the side and also 4 other things which look like spark plugs on the top. :eek:

Does anyone have an idea which are the real plugs, and what are the others? :wacko:

You can get card with 8 spark splugs, if they are twin banked. Never heard of the Cargo though? I'd hazard a guess that the real plugs are the ones on the side...they will be the ones with the HT leads going to the Distributor. dunno what the things on the top are?? usually just the head...nothing that should look like other spark plugs?

Diesel as you say don't have Spark plugs or distributors etc, the fuel/air mixture self ignites due to the higher compression...but the ignition point is never uniform...not controled with a spark...which is why they sound like tractors!..getting quiter though as injector technology is better at injecting exactly the same amount of fuel each time.

Vipes

You can get card with 8 spark splugs, if they are twin banked. Never heard of the Cargo though?

Actually the things on top have wires too, and look awfully like spark plugs..... ;) I have still to do a 'search' for the distributor though :D silly as this may sound!

Btw - Fun Cargo is the Japanese version of Yaris Verso.... mine's 1.3 lt petrol.....

Thanks for your reply!

Your engine has only 4 spark plugs. If you remove the plastic cover you will find , on the rear top side, 4 rectangular shaped thingies, these are your coil-packs (sp?), they are held to the valve cover with one bolt each. Remove the bolt and pull the coil-packs straight up, underneath you will find your spark plugs. Make sure to retighten the bolts with the correct torque (7.5 Nm) so the plastic housing for the coil-packs don't break. Maybe you mistook the injectors at the front side of the engine for spark plugs?

And don't bother looking for a dizzie in your car as the NZ-series engines use a distributorless ignition system (TDIS).

HTH,

yvvan.

yeah they are injectors, look right on the side of the head and youll see the blue bits

Thanks a LOT for the info guys! :thumbsup:

That was very useful for a newbie at modern petrol cars like me! (I was going crazy searching for the distributor!) :D

Sorry..led you on a wild goose chase there..I should know better, didn't check properly!

Vipes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links