Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Wheel Corrosion?

parky1968

Have discovered some bubbles under the surface on my alloy wheels...are they covered under warranty?? Has anyone else had this issue?? :unsure:

Many thanks once again (this should be last query...for now anyway!! lol) :thumbsup:

You can ask as many questions as you like.

Yes those defects are normally covered under warranty as long as there has been no physical damage to start it.

You can ask as many questions as you like.

Yes those defects are normally covered under warranty as long as there has been no physical damage to start it.

Thanks Anchorman :toast: I can't see any physical damage - just look like blisters under the surface to me!! :unsure:

A wealth of knowledge for sure, on these here forums :thumbsup:

I'd have given you a sensible answer as well - honest.

Bring back the steel banded wooden cartwheels!!!

Just had a look at my wheels...

What period does that warranty cover? I've got June 2006 model, Is it worth asking my dealer about this now?

Simon

Warranty is three years so a June 2006 registered car would be out of warranty now, I think, unless you have taken out an extended warranty?

Its always worth asking as they sometimes do a policy warranty claim.

Have discovered some bubbles under the surface on my alloy wheels...are they covered under warranty?? Has anyone else had this issue?? :unsure:

Many thanks once again (this should be last query...for now anyway!! lol) :thumbsup:

Yep, same problem on mine. Dealer indicated paint is not up to our winters and the salty stuff-other countries have less problem apparently. Awaiting change under warranty before it runs out (soon!).

Will a warranty claim be honored, as long as it's reported/noted prior to warranty expiry date? :huh:

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Mines meant to be being done before the 3 years is up

Will a warranty claim be honored, as long as it's reported/noted prior to warranty expiry date? :huh:

Ok, thanks Darkside B) but does anyone know if warranty work has to be completed before the warranty expires please? :D

Yep, same problem on mine. Dealer indicated paint is not up to our winters and the salty stuff-other countries have less problem apparently. Awaiting change under warranty before it runs out (soon!).

Ask for new non run-flat 18" rims and get em to turn of the TPMS thingy then tell us how they do it!

Ok, thanks Darkside B) but does anyone know if warranty work has to be completed before the warranty expires please? :D

Yes Parky they will honour the warranty after the 3 years but you must register the complaint before the warranty expires. If you register it on the last day of the warranty and they take 3 weeks to come that is OK.

Ask for new non run-flat 18" rims and get em to turn of the TPMS thingy then tell us how they do it!

As if they would do that?? :unsure: Nice thought though :thumbsup:

Yes Parky they will honour the warranty after the 3 years but you must register the complaint before the warranty expires. If you register it on the last day of the warranty and they take 3 weeks to come that is OK.

Thanks Anchorman :thumbsup:

Hmm... when I bought mine second hand from Toyota, the dealer said the alloys weren't covered by the warranty! :angry2:

thats the least of yer problems -- the weather and salt here causes havoc with other bits like the petrol breather pipe after a time. And even the suspension components get well damaged by the salt etc. If the alloys are rotting think what else is!!!!!

while i had an is200 some years ago we had many problems with those alloys in use by the toyota group. it was that bad that lexus extended the warrentie to 5 years. just google or visit the lexus owners club forum. i see the same problems with both my rav4s. so check your warrantie policy.

I pointed out the same problem with corrosion on alloys just before buying my Rav 3yr ago, still in warranty (just). Got told the wheels were not covered.

The concern I've got is the corrosion is now down the valve stems also so it's just a matter of time before it starts leaking air?. Never had this problem with any other cars I've owned. At present I’m looking at a bill of over £200 to refurbish them. Don't understand how a company like Toyota still have the inability to paint a set of wheels without the paint blistering back off.

A mate of mines Lexus had kerb damage to one alloy but also slight corrosion on same. (Outwith warranty). Not one, but all alloys were replaced, since corrosion is a known problem with the wheels!!

To me it's paintwork,it's a finish, it should be covered.

I haven't noticed any corrosion on my wheels, but then again they have not been on my car for a few weeks now :D

However, the same thing happened on my previous car, Mazda RX-8, and they were changed under warranty.

A mate of mines Lexus had kerb damage to one alloy but also slight corrosion on same. (Outwith warranty). Not one, but all alloys were replaced, since corrosion is a known problem with the wheels!!

To me it's paintwork,it's a finish, it should be covered.

That's interesting to know and thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: ...I have a Lexus IS300 02 plate and I have recently noticed corrosion on couple of the wheels whilst cleaning the car - guess who I'll be giving a call?? B)

I know for sure that there have been several owners that have dug in or tried different dealers and got their wheels changed outside the warranty period. However, I would always recommend to anyone who's car is coming to the end of the warranty that the complaint is lodged with them beforehand as it could save a whole lot of messing around and by the looks of things in some cases disappointment!

If there is a short crossover between reporting it and having the work completed then that is fine HOWEVER this does not mean reporting a fault, not bothering to get a fix and then turning up months later to have a repair done. The warranty is 3 years 60K and the dealer has to submit a claim within 21 days. What I say to everyone is get your car in to your dealer WELL BEFORE the warranty expires so any problems can be rectified inside the warranty period

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have the same problem on my 03 Previa and the dealer changed them just inside warranty. They are now just as bad as ever so I now just live with it. First car I've had where the alloys went bad in three years. Cavalier and Vectra were fine when I replaced those cars at 4 years so I expect our RAV's wheels will go bad. It appears to be a Toyota thing to look out for.

Good news :D Alloy wheel to be replaced under warranty B)

Thanks for your input guys/gals? :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links