Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Word Of Advise On Tyres

jamiects

i own a cts and run standard wheels with the 195/55R16 tyres, when i first got the car it had a mix and match set of tyres on so one of the first things i did is get a full set of toyo t1r's.

these where absolutly brilliant apart from when they got worn down i got a steering wobble at higher speed, but still would recommend. I have just changed these toyos and due to money situation i went for something cheaper - Federal 595 evo

a word of warning - these tyre should come with a warning notice to tell the driver just how bad they really are, compared to the toyo's it feels like im permanantly driving on ice, and the problem gets worse, i cant afford a new set of toyos, DAMN :angry:

so if any one is looking to change tyre federal are or should be a no go, definatly toyo!!!

Going to need four new boots myself soon and seen on here a few people recomend the toyo's.

Think I will give them a go.

Is it right it is better to go for the 205/55/16 over the standard size?

not sure on the size difference to be honest, i know that on my 1st t-sport i had the 205/55-16, the tyres did seem to belly out a bit but im sorry i cant remember if grip was improved or not. i am always going to stick with the standard size now as that size was put on for a reason and if the tyre size is changed insurance is invalidated.

good luck with the toyos they are definatly recommended or if money allows goodyear f1.

I'm ditching my toyos in favour of the Eagle F1s. The recent road conditions (and I'm talking wet and not snow) have really shown the toyos up.

Everyone always rates toyo's, but i have never had them. Only had pirelli's and yokohama's on other cars previsouly. Thinking about gettings yokohama's all around again, because they were fantastic all rounders, particularly on ice/snow.

I woulndt have Falkens or Toyos even if they were free. Im a goodyear man through and through, so when the tyres that were on the car when i bought it die, thats where my money will be going.

Yeah a lot of people do rate Toyo's, but its each to their own and how they drive etc etc. Swings and roundabouts. Just.....................wet roundabouts dont agree with Toyos! lol

Never had any issues with my Toyo's regardless of the weather :P

Current set need changing after roughly 12k miles

:thumbsup:

TBF, theres lots of supposedly crap tyres that are good and loads of supposedly good tyres that are crap. Different people like the feel of different ones. The initial few hundred miles can also effect the way the tyre behaves over the rest of its life, if not scrubbed properly they tend to perish before they wear out, scrubbed too much and they wear out way before you expect.

It would be very hard for a group like ourselves to fairly and accurately put them to the test. The best thing you can do is read the independent reviews, take personal opinions into count and simply attempt an educated choice. Lets be honest, at some point we have all made the wrong choice thinking it was the best one at the time.

I woulndt have Falkens or Toyos even if they were free. Im a goodyear man through and through, so when the tyres that were on the car when i bought it die, thats where my money will be going.

Yeah a lot of people do rate Toyo's, but its each to their own and how they drive etc etc. Swings and roundabouts. Just.....................wet roundabouts dont agree with Toyos! lol

+1 Being using Goodyear GSD3s for 5 years now...excellent tyres.....tried Toyos as everyone raved about them....this really showed me how good the Goodyears are.....wont be buying any more Toyos :angry: Goodyears all the way.

TBF, theres lots of supposedly crap tyres that are good and loads of supposedly good tyres that are crap. Different people like the feel of different ones. The initial few hundred miles can also effect the way the tyre behaves over the rest of its life, if not scrubbed properly they tend to perish before they wear out, scrubbed too much and they wear out way before you expect.

It would be very hard for a group like ourselves to fairly and accurately put them to the test. The best thing you can do is read the independent reviews, take personal opinions into count and simply attempt an educated choice. Lets be honest, at some point we have all made the wrong choice thinking it was the best one at the time.

Gotta agree have used Goodyear and Yokohamas and Bridgestones in the past so might just stick with one of them.

Conti's for me Premium or Sport Contact 2 :thumbsup:

Michelin on the front of my Passat at the mo, horrible they will last i expect but they dont give any feel, just premature understeer :angry: The rears are still on the original Pirelli's after 53k, rumbling like %$( as there so out of shape :lol: .

Note - New tyres need a couple of hundred miles of scrubbing to get the shiney surface off.

I Fitted a Set of Toyo T1r's to my stock wheels - 205/55/16 - just before xmas and in the dry they were fine, better than fine actually, would recommend them. But as mentions a few times above, the recent weather has shown them up a bit, but i must admit you should tone down your driving in the wet to what it is in the dry, im sure this is the same on all tyres. It did take me a few corners to realise this... fast scary corners

Is it right it is better to go for the 205/55/16 over the standard size?

205's are definately cheaper than 195, in my book that makes them better!

not sure on the size difference to be honest, i know that on my 1st t-sport i had the 205/55-16, the tyres did seem to belly out a bit but im sorry i cant remember if grip was improved or not. i am always going to stick with the standard size now as that size was put on for a reason and if the tyre size is changed insurance is invalidated.

good luck with the toyos they are definatly recommended or if money allows goodyear f1.

Are you sure the insurance is invalidated if i fit 205's instead of 195's?

I'm ditching my toyos in favour of the Eagle F1s. The recent road conditions (and I'm talking wet and not snow) have really shown the toyos up.

Very happy with my T1R's, although i would have to agree very poor in snow and ice - i got stuck on a hill and a VW golf just drove straight past me like the road was dry tarmac whilst i was sat there with 130mph on the clock and not going anywhere. I put this down to the fact the tyres had done 20,000 miles and have next to no tread on them.

i also get a very bad vibration now the tyres are worn

I Fitted a Set of Toyo T1r's to my stock wheels - 205/55/16 - just before xmas and in the dry they were fine, better than fine actually, would recommend them. But as mentions a few times above, the recent weather has shown them up a bit, but i must admit you should tone down your driving in the wet to what it is in the dry, im sure this is the same on all tyres. It did take me a few corners to realise this... fast scary corners

yeh ive also had quite a few brown trouser moments recently!

Are you sure the insurance is invalidated if i fit 205's instead of 195's?

Epic fail....

Standard alloys can take two different sizes of tyres...

The only way your insurance would be compromised is if your tyres were bald, hence illegal, then isurance would be null and void.

Using the alternate size will not affect your insurance

I tried Vredestein Quatrac 3's which were all weather tyres. Great tyres but didn't last long. I then changed to Michelin 'Energy Savers' These were decent enough and lasted really well - i bit noisy tho.

Just recently I changed the fronts to Nexen N2000 to save a bit of cash and must say I really like them. I did a lot of reading before getting them and most say that they perform way above what they cost. I have to agree. They are quiet and in the wet they are really good. Time will tell how long they'll last.

Just been advised to try maxxis mav 1 anyone tried them?

While I was there I asked about the toyo t1r and they could not find them on their system lots of other toyo's but not them?

Who did you ask and what system are they checking? the T1-R is a very popular model, so it shouldn't be hard to find anywhere.

Who did you ask and what system are they checking? the T1-R is a very popular model, so it shouldn't be hard to find anywhere.

Car spares/tyre place I go to for all my tyres, he went through about 6 or 7 different types of toyo's but they did not come up.

I thought it odd as I have seen then on loads of sites when I have been looking at them.

Anyway I think I will give the maxxis ma-v1 205/55/16 a go, cheap but have got loads of good reviews, have just been reading them, at the end of the day don't know utill I try.

well if you do go for them let us know the verdict.... after reading all the tyre comments in last two months i think im going to try the Eagle F1s as i need all weather ones

I think most that go up to a 205 section drop to a 50 wall depth rather than 55.

And then moan that the tyre always looks flat and the gap in the wheel arch looks bigger! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links