Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault Code Scanners

peterc.lewis@blueyonder.co.uk

My car is a 1998 avensis.

It goes without saying that I spend money on the things like oil etc. as this is needed to keep it fit and healthy.

What I don't want to be doing is spending a fortune on garage time or paying Mr T for one of his fitters to come back with some mumbo jumbo and a big bill.

I am a reasonably able mechanic.

Are the code readers I amn seeing on th internet for £30 or less quid any good ?

Cheers,

Pete.

To Peter,

A code reader is only as good as the person using it (no offence meant) same as high end diagnostic equipment used in main franchises, again only as good as the person using it. Also the problem with code readers is they point towards a possible fault only, in many cases. The fault can be caused by more than one or two circuits. I would go for a branded code reader which comes with back-up ie: the latest downloads for reader & also the facility of real time info.

If you wish, i can PM you the name of company who supply all of the above with a back-up service. Also remember you need some sort of facility that gives you info required for testing possible faulty components ie: ohms settings etc etc. This facility will not come with £30 code readers, I will leave it with you.

Regards, Beagh.

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer. Fair points made too. My challenge is trying to keep the costs down but I am currently stuck as I've pretty much gone through the card with starting my car and wanted to see what , if anything, was being reported. I'm reluctant to go to Mr T as I'm jsut not confident they'll do anything other than rattle a long list of stuff that needs fixing (not great experience when I used to take my Lexus in to main dealers years ago). I'd be a lot happier with a local garage. I'd still be interested in what you use though so please do PM me.

Thanks again for the response, much appreciated.

It is heartening to see how people want to help each other on forums like this.

MrT will charge you £30 just to read the code. So for the sake of buying your own reader you could save it's outlay in the first hit.

My car is a 1998 avensis.

It goes without saying that I spend money on the things like oil etc. as this is needed to keep it fit and healthy.

What I don't want to be doing is spending a fortune on garage time or paying Mr T for one of his fitters to come back with some mumbo jumbo and a big bill.

I am a reasonably able mechanic.

Are the code readers I amn seeing on th internet for £30 or less quid any good ?

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Pete,

I have been monitoring your progress with your car. before you buy a scanner, try this.

Go to the OBD socket in fuse box which is behind the small storage box under the drivers side of the dash.

Get a piece of wire or paper clip and jumper sockets 4 and 13 of the socket. By this the OBD socket has two rows so use pin 4 from the left on the upper row, and pin 5 from the left of the lower row.

Turn the key to the IGN position but don't start the car and you will get three warning indicators flash. They are for the Engine malfunction indicator lamp, ABS warning and Airbag warning light. If they all flash constantly there are no faults stored.

If the engine light gives 2 flashes then 1 flash then repeats after a couple of seconds, it is your leanburn sensor. If you get 1 then 2 flashes, there is an starter and ignition fault.

Google 'Toyota OBD codes' to get a list of codes and what they mean.

After you fix any faults show by the OBD, go to the EFI fuse in the engine bay fusebox, and remove it for 10 seconds to clear the memory.

If you had any faults while the engine is running, the Engine light would be on.

Beware when buying code readers as some may not be compatible with the earlier pre2000 Avensis. That is the reason I mentioned the self diagnostics, to save you wasting money.

Other posters may advise on code readers that work on Avensis with the Leanburn engines.

Good luck. Kon

• 2 years later...

Hi Peter,

Same problem here, car is sweet but seems to lack power therefore bought a £31 reader scanner (Vgate Scan VS600). Would not link at the din connector. Car flashed it's ABS warning light at me obviously didn't like it up it.

Regards

FixitPhil (who is returning the tool)

I have obd2 elm327 bluetooth scanner(14euros from ebay) which works perfect with android torque pro app from google market for 3,50euro. It only cant read ABS codes..otherwise works fine..definately worth that money! here its how it looks like

I've got the Autel Maxiscan MS509. Awesome scan tool. Has live data, graph, print to PC, record live data while driving.