Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hesitation On Accelleration (petrol)

estoril

Hi,

I have done a quick search but cannnot find any threads on hesitation issues with a petrol Aygo. My car is a 2008 model and has done 18K miles, just recently I have started to notice hesitation when accelerating hard in 3rd and 4th gears (might be present in 1st and 2nd but not as noticeable).

If I am driving along a dual carriageway and looking to overtake someone I might change down to third and accelerate hard, from about 50mph the car hesitates/surges as if there is a lack of fuel or spark plug is breaking down, back off the throttle and all is well again......

No issues with tickover or acceleration in 1st and 2nd....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Darren.

Is this happening on all road gradients? Or just on hills, as that's to be expected really.

If it is having trouble picking up in third at 45/50 on a flat road it might be worth getting it looked at.

I would suggest spark plugs as I had a faulty one when my car was new and it did this, only in all gears, but if it is just a few I don't know what to suggest. Not being a mechanic and all :P

Is this happening on all road gradients? Or just on hills, as that's to be expected really.

If it is having trouble picking up in third at 45/50 on a flat road it might be worth getting it looked at.

I would suggest spark plugs as I had a faulty one when my car was new and it did this, only in all gears, but if it is just a few I don't know what to suggest. Not being a mechanic and all :P

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, its on all gradients, I too thought spark plugs, Ill get a set and try thrm.

Thanks,

Darren.

It's a 2008 car,isn't it covered under warranty?

I'd run it straight back to Mr T and say "Fix this".Might be a bit busy at the mo tho what with all the recall stuff.

It's a 2008 car,isn't it covered under warranty?

I'd run it straight back to Mr T and say "Fix this".Might be a bit busy at the mo tho what with all the recall stuff.

I know, it's just the inconvenience, if a set of plugs doesn't cure it Illl get them to have a look

Last time I had a car which did not accelerate well the clutch was on its way out. Good luck with that!

Changed the plugs last night and all is restored to normal, was much easier than going back to the stealer, set of NGK plugs off eBay (£11) and all is good.

Here's a picture of the offending plug, looks like the insulator is breaking down (apologies for the poor quality, it was taken with my iPhone):

4400993908_fbff6d90f5_o.jpg

OK, so I did a search and according to this web site:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp...tain&mfid=0

this is not a problem:

A used spark plug sometimes has discoloration around the insulator surface which looks like gases that have leaked between the insulator and the Shell. This discoloration is generally called "Corona stain" and is caused by charged oil particles in the air around the insulator surface that are attracted by the corona discharge and then adhere to the insulator's surface. The corona stain does not at all affect the plugs function or performance.

So the plug I showed may not be faulty, but replacing them HAS cured the hesitation problem.......

hmmm, see how it goes...however the clutch can be the culprit.

Try driving along at a steady speed, then push the accelerator to the floor - if the engine revs up but the car itself does not gain speed very quick then the clutch plates are slipping.

Try driving along at a steady speed, then push the accelerator to the floor - if the engine revs up but the car itself does not gain speed very quick then the clutch plates are slipping.

Hi,

I am a long term pertrolhead and I know what clutch slip is and feels like, as I said before this was hestitation which is generally caused by lack of fuel, lack of air (less likely as this would lead to lack of power) or ignition problems.....

The new plugs have CURED the problem, I was just pointing out that the web site mentioned says that this "corona stain" on it's own does not indicate a problem with the plug, however, in my case replacing the plugs HAS cured the problem so it's either associated with this stain or it's an invisible problem within the plug which in all honesty has been the case I have seen for other plug issues, you know it's faulty but you can't see that there is anything wrong with it.

If it was clutch slip it would not get any better, it would only get worse!

Cheers,

Darren.

Clutch has been changed (superceded) to a 1.0 Yaris clutch, Always go on Aygo , 107 , C1 cos the early ones are pants !!

Clutch has been changed (superceded) to a 1.0 Yaris clutch, Always go on Aygo , 107 , C1 cos the early ones are pants !!

Hi there

the clutch that fits the aygo is from yaris 1.0 16v production start from 03/03 or yaris 1.0 16V (SCP10_) production start from 04/99

cause I need to change my clutch on my aygo I want a better one

Thanks