Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Cable

eddieinvader

Hi guys can anyone tell me if the handbrake cable on the t sport is adjustable please.

Have adjusted the shoes on the back and I am happy they are set right but the handbrake still seems to bite quite high is this normal up to about 8/9 clicks?

Or can the cable be adjusted as well to bring it down a few more notches?

There is adjustment on the handbrake lever itself.

You will need to remove the entire center trim from around the lever tho.

:thumbsup:

The cable on our old un had to be to shortened on its 60k service as it was too stretched and would tighten properly anymore. We had advisors on the 2 services before that when Mr T did there best to tighten it. Our steep drive didn't help.

There is adjustment on the handbrake lever itself.

You will need to remove the entire center trim from around the lever tho.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for this Norfolk, my mate that does my car said this about being adjustable on the lever when I was there he said there used to be a removable panel on older toyotas, but as we could not see one he said to check first, seems he was right again.

Is the centre console around this easy enough to remove?

thats the awkward way!!!!

you can do it through one of the bolt holes on the rear wheels!!!

its at the bottom of the hub, just wind it with a screw driver"!

If what you say is correct then there must be two adjusters inside the drum - one for the shoes and one for the cables.

Can you confirm that aspect please.:)

Have adjusted the shoes on the back

He's done that :rolleyes:

That only adjusts the shoes, if the cable is still slack you will need to adjust it at the lever

This isn't strictly true, the handbrake is made up of the lever, cable to the equalizer plate and then one cable across the back axle.

When you wind the adjuster, you will tension the cables up.

Personally I would always adjust at the wheels, otherwise you will 9 times out of 10 get a missmatch across the back axle as the equalisation system is poor and fills with crud.

Have you checked the condidtion of your shoes? You can find if your shoes are low/linings came off then the handbrake will be poor after adjusting them. But theres always the cable stretching aswell.

This isn't strictly true, the handbrake is made up of the lever, cable to the equalizer plate and then one cable across the back axle.

When you wind the adjuster, you will tension the cables up.

Personally I would always adjust at the wheels, otherwise you will 9 times out of 10 get a missmatch across the back axle as the equalisation system is poor and fills with crud.

Totally lost now!

So is there another screw on the back drums to tighten the cable as suggested or not, and don't adjust it at the lever is this right?

there are two drums and shoes on the car, one on the left and one on the right.

but only one hand brake cable.

So the cable to goes through and basically splits, to yank on each wheel. In reality one will always clamp before the other one so you need the equaliser system to send the tension to the non clamped drum.

hope that helps.

have a read of my guide. http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84814

Theres 2 seperate cables, that run up to the handbrake lever. They lock into a shorter cable that is attached to the lever, thats the bit you adjust in the car.

i know theres a part there that you could call an equalizer but cant see how it gets full of crud when its under the carpet.

the short story is.....if you adjust it inside the car,just on the 10mm and the shoes aint adjusted properlly you'll get an uneven handbrake (1 side will hold better then the other) Easy way to check is to put handbrake on and dip the clutch.Both side should dip evenly, if only 1 side dips then you havnt adjusted the shoes properlly.

Well I know the shoes are adjusted properly, so I will be going into the car remove the centre console and have a look in there.

All this equalizer business, is daft just plain english will do just say adjust the shoes if it is still not enough adjust the cable under the console, that is all that needs to be said.

Norfolk got it spot on in the first reply.

Well I know the shoes are adjusted properly, so I will be going into the car remove the centre console and have a look in there.

All this equalizer business, is daft just plain english will do just say adjust the shoes if it is still not enough adjust the cable under the console, that is all that needs to be said.

:toast:

For any further comments.... my CTS failed it's MOT on the handbrake....

After adjusting the shoes.... then using the adjuster at the lever.... it passed.... job done :thumbsup:

No pleasing some people. :huh:

No pleasing some people. :huh:

It's not that mate thanks for the advice :thumbsup: it just seemed to confuse the others that nquired as well not just me.

Not everyone knows the jargon for the parts so laymans terms sometime work best.

The only Equalizer I know was Edward Woodward :lol:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links