Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

All Electrical Power Dies After Turning Ignition Key

Berti

Don't know if anyone can shed light on my problem.

Turned ignition key and all dash lights came on as usual - waited a few seconds for glow plugs to warm - then turned key further to start - at which point all dash lights went out and all electrical power lost. Ignition won't work remote key won't work (both of them). Totally dead in the water!!

Waiting for RAC (Toyota Club Member) to attend - nearly 2 hrs waiting now! Not overly optimistic that RAC will be able to fix as sounds serious to me?

Anybody had a similar experience?

Cheers

Bertie

I agree,

sounds like a Battery issue, whether duff or a loose connection etc, hopefully the RAC has solved it now. Please post so we know.

Hopefully you were not needing it to go watch the rugby tonight???

Cheers,

Marv

Was it the Battery then?

Had this happen to my brothers motor recently. Only it would give you power when you turned the keys back round to pos2 or pos1. I thought it was his Battery until i teasted it and found it was fine.

Turned out to be his starter motor needed rewinding.

Thanks to each of you for your help.

Yes - it was a loose negative Battery connection - so loose that the RAC man reckons it could not have been re-tightened after it was likely disconnected back in September 09 when a new drive shaft was fitted under warranty!! He explained that when a Battery terminal is loose it often allows contact for a small electrical load, such as the ignition primary circuit, but when the much heavier demand of the starter motor motor kicks in you get arking and the circuit is then broken.

Interestingly, a similar thing happened some months back but then - after I got out of the car and locked/unlocked again with the remote - all worked and off I went. Not another hint of trouble until Friday!

We live and learn!!

And in answer to you Mary - no it wasn't needed to go to the Rugby but it was needed to go to the supermarket to purchase large quantities of Guiness for consumption whilst watching in front of the big screen - much of which was eventually needed to compensate for the result. Indeed, after Fri/Sat results we all need a stiff drink or two!!!

Cheers

Bertie

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links