Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Repair, Sensor Freindly?

wardude

I have e mailed the seller to see. Even damaging a valve aint a problem is it. Its the sensor that costs the £100 or so. It would be nice if it worked as its an option for us dudes with run flats

Yer if it works and doesnt damage the costly parts its a good option . Its peace of mind with a longer driving range .

Anyway how you finding the new car ????? I think you made a good and wise choice !!!!!!! Thats where i bought my 1st rav from RMB Stockton Teeside .

Hi mate

yeah love it. Faster than I thought too. Bit noisy engine wise compared to the Vectra but i can live with that. Thanks for the pms with the tips too. Apreciated. ill let you know what the seller of that Glue says. i have also e mailed the sales manager at minories to see what he thinks of it

cheers for now buddy

Shaun

Hi mate

yeah love it. Faster than I thought too. Bit noisy engine wise compared to the Vectra but i can live with that. Thanks for the pms with the tips too. Apreciated. ill let you know what the seller of that Glue says. i have also e mailed the sales manager at minories to see what he thinks of it

cheers for now buddy

Shaun

Your welcome shaun :thumbsup:

Glad you like it ,Its true they are fast for a big car . Be good to hear the outcome of that glue stuff too .Happy driving mate !!

Cheers Mick :thumbsup:

I could be mistaken, but i always thought that the sensor was the valve? Thought it was built into it? Can someone please confirm?

Good stuff IF and I do mean IF with a capital I it works. The seller is obviously going to tell you it is safe and works 100%, he won't sell any if he says it isn't and doesn't.. will he?

I'm a tyre fitter and have had a lot of experience with these type of repair kits.. with a varied degree of failure.. yes, failure each and every time, some do absolutely nothing while others slow it down a little. I have yet to see any of this type of product work 100%.. I have even had a sales rep in the garage trying to get us to sell it, he gave us a demonstration of his product.. he put a nail through a tyre and it went "pssssssssst", he filled with this stuff, bounced the wheel and rolled it around... "psssssst", he put more in.."pssssssst", got another bottle incase the one he used was faulty.. "pssssst".. he went out to his van to "get something"... he drove offand never came back.

I have also asked my costomers what they thought of the stuff they used and every one of them have said they would never buy it again.

Then there is the problem it creates.. you take your punctured tyre to your local tyre shop to get a proper repair carried out, but the inside of the tyre is covered in... Foam/Milky Fluid or thick green slime (yes it says no mess on the bottle.. there is, but it's on the inside)... to get a proper repair on a tyre it has to be 100% free from dirt and greese.. 100% clean.. any contamination and the repair won't adhere to the tyre, some of these products clean out without many problems, but then there is thick green or purple gunk (must be two different brands) which is a complete and utter nightmare to clean off, even when useing a buffing solution we can't be sure it is 100% free from contamination and the result is the tyre cannot be repaired or the repair fails a short time later.

There is also a slim possibility you do find a product that works, what happens when you forget you have a puncture after putting this stuff into your tyre??? well, your tyre stays up... even with that 2" nail/screw you have within half an inch of your sidewall.. you know, the one you don't know is there because you never looked, you just put the stuff in the tyre and blew it up again... what happens is that it will eventually blow out, possibly when you are on the motorway doing 70mph with you family in the car... do yourself a favour.. don't buy these products.. get a proper repair done, if you can't put your spare on or you don't have one.. join a breakdown company such as the AA, RAC or Green Flag (you might even have some sort of membership through your insurer) and phone them out to help you get to a tyre shop.

thanks for the info matey. Only thing with run flats is you cant repair them anyway (so im told) so having this glue in doesent matter. it just means you can get a few extra miles on the range so hopefully you can get to one of a handful of tyre fitters having the right tools for the job. However, that is, like you say, assuming the stuff works lol. Like you say, AA or RAC maybe a good option.

I have no experience of the Rav 4 runflats as it is only approoved Bridgestone dealers who are allowed to fit them.. mostly Toyota dealerships. I know that the runflats on a Rav 4 use the Bridgestone Support Ring, which is an insert that goes into the wheel.. I don't think the actuall tyres have a self supporting sidewall which is an actual runflat tyre (SSR, RFT's etc) I think it may well be a normal tyre with the ring fitted. These can be repaired (i'm sure I read on here a member got one repaired... but it cost him £70 for the privailage) as for SSR/RFT type tyres.. the tyre industry can't seem to make it's mind up whether or not it is safe to do so...

Bridgestone never allowed a repair on their tyres.. then changed there minds and allow one "plug type" repair.

Goodyear now allow one "plug" type repair on their tyres after previously saying no... even when it states on the sidewall "do not repair after runflat operation" (how doea a tyre fitter know it hasn't had "runflat operaton"?.. ask the costomer who knows if he says it has he will be spending well over £100 for a replacement???) newer Goodyear tyres have the warning worded differently now I think.

Dunlop will allow their runflats to be repaired, but whoever carries out the repair is responsible for the warranty of the tyre.. even if another problem unrelated to the reapair comes up.

There are more examples, but I won't go into them.. but I'm sure you get the Idea.

If a normal tyre has been ran flat there is damage to the sidewalls of the tyre which is clearly visible, high temperatures and the wheel rim will chew up and melt the inside of the tyre.. with runflat tyres this type of damage isn't visible, so there is know way a tyre fitter can tell if the tyre is safe to repair.

Also.. runflat tyres cannot be repaired if they have been driven in "runflat" operation for more than 50 miles or at speeds greater than 50mph... again, how does a tyre fitter know if this is the case?.. ask the costomer who knows if he says it has he will be well out of pocket, he/she will inevatably say no it hasn't.

I could be mistaken, but i always thought that the sensor was the valve? Thought it was built into it? Can someone please confirm?

Simon, have a look here:

http://www.toyotatpms.com/

The valve stem (whether aluminium or rubber) is usually replaceable. The electronics are in the flat black plastic bit, that attaches to the inside of the rim.

You are right in saying that the electronics are in the black plastic bit, but it can't be replaced seperately as it is part of the valve stem.. it is all the one unit, same as on the Renaults etc, so sywy is correct.

TR414.jpg

Standard valve stem (TR414)

tpms_sensors.jpg

Toyota TPMS valve stem

The full unit can be replaced, but it then has to be programmed to the car.. it can turn out to be a costly part.

Also noticed this on the site...

Note: The technician should avoid the use of any liquid or tire sealant injected into tires equipped with TPMS as this may block the pressure port and cause malfunction. If evidence of the use of tire sealant is noted upon dismounting the tire, it is highly recommended that the TPMS are replaced. It is also very important to remove all residual sealant from the inside of the tire and rim surfaces prior to re-installing the tire.

Reinforces what I said about the repair stuff... don't use it.

You are right in saying that the electronics are in the black plastic bit, but it can't be replaced seperately as it is part of the valve stem..

I will bow to your professional knowledge. :thumbsup:...........................

But surely, there are some serviceable bits there? Point 4 here:

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/TPMS.htm

"For some sensors, like TRW, you'll need a whole metal valve stem to reseal" ??

I assume you mean point 4....

TPMS_Kits-003.jpg

4. What parts do you need to stock.

We have TPMS sensor service kits on hand, since it's difficult to tell what kind of sensor the car has until the tire has been dismounted, and that's not the best time to begin ordering parts. The stem nuts all look pretty similar (at least for the cars we repair) and that is all that is visible from the outside the rim. The rubber sealing grommets and washers are all different each sensor type. For some sensors, like TRW, you'll need a whole metal valve stem to reseal. Others, like Schrader and Pacific, just come with a grommet, washer, Schrader valve, cap, and stem nut. Some stem nuts have a built in sealing surface, others do not. Some washers have a special shape, others are pretty standard. We have 4 kits that look identical from 2 feet away. You have to look really closely to see the differences. Unfortunately, there are not really any great application guides yet, but I'm sure there will be eventually. Meantime, we glued one of each type of kit to a piece of particle board for identification.

What we have in the picture is...

1. The nut that holds the valve stem itself to the wheel (velve stem without the other parts attatched pictured below)

2. The rubber grommet that makes the seal between the valve stem and the rim

3. The little shrader valve that screws into the valve stem.. you know the bit you can press to let air out. (this is the part with the red seal in the picture)

4. The valve cap.

TPMS-032.jpg

Valve Stem/Sensor on it's own

There are variations of this type of sensor, but only in the way they seal, some only have a grommet at the bottom with a washer and nut a the top, others have two rubber grommets that go between the rim and the sensor and between the valve stem and the rim.. one on both sides of the hole in the wheel, while some have a built in rubber seal on the stem and the nuts (there are two, one locks onto the other to prevent it coming loose) screw on from the bottom, some with some without a washer and rubber grommet.

I think by "servicing" they mean how they replace the valve/sensor and reprogramme it to the car, they mention scan tools so I would guess there are aftermarket scan tools for doing this at home, much in the same vane as we have aftermarket OBDII code readers.

Maybe not.. just read this bit relating to the Rav 4..

The only Toyota without a TPMS reset button so far.

Rotate tires, set pressure to placard, you're done.

Pressure thresholds are factory set and not adjustable. I have not found a way to change the pressure threshold with the Techstream, so replacement tires will need to be carefully selected to meet the Rav4's load requirements at 32 PSI.

As for serviceable parts withinn the sensor, I'm afraid it's a sealed unit and once you open it up it's knackered.. done some investigating on a broken Renault sensor lol... doesn't look like much inside.

th_TPMS_Sensor_Rear1.jpg

XClick for larger picture.

Have a look at the attached pdf.

Entire was a joint venture set up between Michelin and TRW. Unfortunately, this doc is for Hon*a.

As you can see, the valve stem is removable. That's why I said it! :)

TRW do supply TPMS to Toyota, but I don't know whether they supply into Japanese built vehicles.

Yes it's possible the RAV sensors have non-removable valve stems. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't expect the "black plastic lump" to be able to be taken apart.

Cheers :thumbsup:

tpmsStem.pdf

Ah! I see what you were meaning now, this type of sensor is few and far between.. most are sealed to the stem, I can't think off the top of myy head what cars in the UK have this typew.. possibly some VW's and maybe the odd GM car. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw one like that.. but in my defence I don't look for it as we don't change the valves when replacing the tyres unless the are broken (renaults are famous for the head comining off when people are checking their tyre pressures.. and we just use a blade and cut them out as more often than not, the nut that holds them on has welded it'self to the valve stem lol.

You would have to look at the Rav 4 assembly next time a tyre needs changed to see if the stem can be unscrewed from the sensor.

Heard back from the Service advisor at the Toyota garage regarding this slime. he sayds NEVER to use any type of tyre weld in run flat tyres as these tyres have some sort of grease inside them to stoip them overheating when running on low pressure. Adding Tyre weld could affect this and cause blowout etc etc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links