Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aaagghh............mould Inside Car !

sullspots

Was having a bit of a clean inside the cabin today and noticed mould inside the car in the headlining.It's been a bit whiffy lately but I actually put it down to an old coat I'd been wearing cos it's been so cold.It's a May 09 Aygo Black 3 door.This pic shows one patch but there are spots all over the place. :(

P2110003.jpg

Anyone else got a pongy interior ? I lifted the mats to see if the carpets were damp and although they whiffed badly all was dry.

Iv'e noticed the windows steaming up a lot and there has been ice inside the windscreen when it's been really cold.

I phoned Toyota today but could only leave a message with the receptionist and got told to expect a call on Monday.I'll let you all know how it goes.

If the mould is on the headlining, try looking at your upper brake light that water is not getting past the seal and wetting your headlining. Just remove the 2 screws then remove the light and look inside and you will see straight away if any water has got inside. I had to put a new seal on mine as a small amount of water was getting in via the upper brake light and making its way to the boot area.....Colin

Well I think quite a few of us on here have experienced ice inside the windscreen but this happens on most cars - it was really really cold. Not sure where your mould could be coming from... like welshviking said, probably check your high-level rear brake light. Also seems strange that your mats should smell so bad if there isn't any water or dampness. Hope it gets sorted.

Well I think quite a few of us on here have experienced ice inside the windscreen but this happens on most cars

No it doesn’t!

There shouldn’t be any ice inside of a car (only one that is full of water). Your car should be bone dry inside.

Mould spores can cause allergic reactions, sneezing runny nose red eyes and skin rashes :(

^ It happens on a lot of cars - it's cold, so we get ice! My car is bone dry inside, never leaked. We've had plenty of cars that have had small amount of ice inside as well! And there are other people on here that have experienced ice inside.

Hope you get your mould sorted. But I suspect it's not to do with the ice.

^ It happens on a lot of cars - it's cold, so we get ice! My car is bone dry inside, never leaked. We've had plenty of cars that have had small amount of ice inside as well! And there are other people on here that have experienced ice inside.

Hope you get your mould sorted. But I suspect it's not to do with the ice.

I'm afraid to say Reece is right, you really shouldn't get ice on the inside.... Unless you're calling something else ice when it really isn't and/or you live in Siberia you should not be getting ice inside your car. If I was getting ice inside my car, I'd be straight to the dealers!!

As for the mould... get it to the dealers, that ain't right in any shape or form.

I'm afraid to say Reece is right, you really shouldn't get ice on the inside.... Unless you're calling something else ice when it really isn't and/or you live in Siberia you should not be getting ice inside your car. If I was getting ice inside my car, I'd be straight to the dealers!!

As for the mould... get it to the dealers, that ain't right in any shape or form.

What this guy said. :P

Could be a wet pollen filter whereby air being drawn inside the car absorbs moisture.:)

Definitely worth a looksee in my opinion.

Eeeek! Just looked at my headlining and mine (Feb 09) has mould too. They are little brown spots all over the lining and at first I thought it was just the pattern of the fabric but then i saw a new Aygo and no spots and now this post.

Strange thing is, unlike the OP my car is touch wood not damp nor does it ice up inside in the mornings. Only tell tale sign is the feeling of high humidy in the car which is shown by the car steaming up quite quickly unless the fan is on or if it's not set to re-circulate.

Car's going in for its first service on Friday so will raise it then. Hope they don't make it worse by taking it apart :unsure:

I`ve had a Celica in storage for a while now and suffered a similar issue...I bought a KG of Silica gel from eBay, put half in the boot and half in the passenger foortwell..(in plastic boxes like the type you get from chinese take aways)...solved the problem pretty quickly.

My car stinks recently, it smells like sweaty feet when I first get in it lol, but I cant find any signs of damp anywhere and I always keep my car spotless inside and out. I should really have proper look if I can find anything like this in mine

My car stinks recently, it smells like sweaty feet when I first get in it lol, but I cant find any signs of damp anywhere and I always keep my car spotless inside and out. I should really have proper look if I can find anything like this in mine.

If it has got that kind of smell, then I'm guessing its mouldy somewhere? Hope you find it as not only would the smell drive me crazy...but I'd be hugely concerned where the leak was.

I'm not getting ice inside every day, just when we had that really really cold weather and snow... not since. Like I said before we've had loads of cars with ice on the inside... more like a light frosting :P only a very minute amount, very very thin coat and nothing like what you get on the car's exterior. I'd still call it ice though. There have been other people on here that had the same thing. Seems strange that so many people are coming across smells! Perhaps it's to do with all the weird weather that's been going on recently.

Ice inside is really quite normal with cold weather. Here in Finland the weather has been around -20 C from Christmas until now and all drivers need to scrape also inside the windscreen when driving the first kilometers before the heater gets warm enough. Unfortunately this is the "joy" of winter with cars here. Basically when one gets into the car the breath of air causes the icing. And with snow coming in with the boots car is quite moist inside when the car warms up.

As a winter car Aygo has been really good though. Warms up nicely, no problems with locks or doors freezing and especially with the traction control and VSC it has been great to drive on snowy and icy roads.

Hope you get the mold problem fixed with your local garage!

I've had ice on the inside of the windscreen too - when it gets really cold.

I don't have any leaks either.

My shoes have been full of snow at times and they leave the rubber mats soaking wet.

The water then evaporates into the car (if the windows are closed) and condenses again

onto windows, when it's cold enough. Obviously it freezes when it's sub-zero.

I also get water dripping into the car when I open the glass boot door in wet weather.

If you keep the car in a garage, crack the windows open.

If you have mould now imagine what it will be like this time next year and beyond. You’ll have mushrooms coming out of your carpets and your very own ecosystem!

At the very least you want everything replace that has been affected by mould.

Reece, You made me laugh but sadly you are so right.

Looks like only the headlining is affected and like i said it's not obvious like mould on a wall etc but mould nevertheless.

Not sure about the seats as they are those leather/anthracite matarial so difficult to tell. Mind they do not smell like some others here but then again nor does my headlining or the car in general.

On a positive note, rang Mr T and amended the job sheet to look at this as well as a service. Thankfully they managed to source me a courtesy car for the day too which i was not sure I would get at short notice. One strange thing is they do not allow the demonstrators to be taken out unless accompanied. Really wanted to take the IQ for a spin and thought with a whiff of a sale they would tell me "here's the keys", and "see you when your car is ready and we can even talk figures etc". Not so. Wonder if this is a dealer specific thing or something common with Toyota.

My BMW dealer used to give me a car i was interested in with no problems when i was in for a service, and in some cases they gave me the top of the range model in the hope i would be smitten.

Mould is nearly always (unless you leave food in your car to rot) a sign of failed water seals. Get it checked out under warranty

I phoned the dealer in the week to see what they could do and was put through to a very sympathetic service manager,so was reassured that at least they would take the problem seriously.

Update:

Hey guys,

Just thought i would update you. My car was checked over on friday and it appears some water was leaking from my roof arial and third level brake light which as a result caused the condensation and mould on my roof lining.

Sulspots- The dealer thought the same as you and tried cleaning the spots off but to no avail. I am now pushing for a replacement headlining so the dealer is going to contact Toyota GB for authorisation. Told them in no uncertain terms that I will not accept anything less than a replacement. Mould in a car that is 11 months old is not acceptable and not something I should live with.

Good luck with yours and keep us updated.