Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bike Carrier Suggestions

Matthew Ayling

Have now had the Corolla Verso (07 2.2d TR) for 6 months and am really pleased.

I am looking for any suggestion re a bike carrier. We were looking for a high mount which hopefully won't obscure the lights/number plate as we don't have any electrics ready and this would increase the cost.

Currently looking at either the Mont Blanc universal Rear High Mount (here) or the Thule 968 (here)

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.

Matthew

Have now had the Corolla Verso (07 2.2d TR) for 6 months and am really pleased.

I am looking for any suggestion re a bike carrier. We were looking for a high mount which hopefully won't obscure the lights/number plate as we don't have any electrics ready and this would increase the cost.

Currently looking at either the Mont Blanc universal Rear High Mount (here) or the Thule 968 (here)

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.

Matthew

Matthew,

After a lot of umming and ahhrring we went for Thule, yes, but a different model. This one...

http://www2.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____44303.aspx

It folds up when not in use. It hasn't had what I would describe as extensive use yet, but I took my son's bike on a couple of 2hr trips down to Uni in Devon from Dorset, and there was no windage noise, no movement, no wear of parts and complete visibility of the lights, so no silly lighting bar. We used to have an ali one made by Fiamma for a Sharan, and by comparison, this steel one is heavier, but it still hangs nicely in the garage after use, and is easily fitted by one person, with some good quality large plastic pads to spread the load. Atm, I would say "recommended".

Pop

After a lot of umming and ahhrring we went for Thule, yes, but a different model. This one...

http://www2.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____44303.aspx

It folds up when not in use. It hasn't had what I would describe as extensive use yet, but I took my son's bike on a couple of 2hr trips down to Uni in Devon from Dorset, and there was no windage noise, no movement, no wear of parts and complete visibility of the lights, so no silly lighting bar. We used to have an ali one made by Fiamma for a Sharan, and by comparison, this steel one is heavier, but it still hangs nicely in the garage after use, and is easily fitted by one person, with some good quality large plastic pads to spread the load. Atm, I would say "recommended".

Pop

Thanks Pop for replying, sorry for the delay.

I will have a look at your suggestion, Thule certainly is a good brand.

Further news if and when I make a decision!

Matthew

After some up and erring I have made a purchase.

I was all up for getting a Thule system. I thought I would see what Halfrauds had.

They are currently doing 1/3 off the bike carriers if you reserve on-line.

At the shop my eye caught the High Mount model. As their experienced and knowledgeable staff couldn't tell me whether it would definitely fit my car, I decided to risk it (or just return it). They would not sell it to me for the web price so I went home and reserved it and then went back an hour later to get the very same one although it was £30 cheaper.

Having now got it on the car, I would definitely recommend it. For only £60 I can fit 3 adult bikes on and not need a light bar. It feels really solid when on and was worth the initial adjustment time of an hour in order to get it just right each time.

Matthew

• 1 month later...

Do any of you have the plastic spoiler on your verso? Mine is an SR spec on a 58 plate. I am concerned that this type of carier would rest on the spolier and could cause damage and instability? Most sites selling rear mount carriers warn against this.

Do you have pictures of your rack fitted to the car?

I've been considering fitting a tow bar just to carry my bikes.

Thanks, Adrian

post-74574-127237922576_thumb.jpg