Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 T3x 2litre Automatic Sluggish Performance

mka

I have an occasional problem with my 2003 Avensis T3X 2litre automatic. When pushing the accelerator pedal the car is incredibly sluggish and will not accelerate properly, especially when climbing a hill. It is worse when the car is cold but can occur at any time. It can be quite alarming at a junction when you pull out and the car will not go properly!! I don't know whether it is a gearbox problem, an engine problem or something in the accelerator mechanism.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Just to clarify, is this a petrol or diesel 2 litre?

Just to clarify, is this a petrol or diesel 2 litre?

It's an 03 Auto, so it'll be petrol.

I have an occasional problem with my 2003 Avensis T3X 2litre automatic. When pushing the accelerator pedal the car is incredibly sluggish and will not accelerate properly, especially when climbing a hill. It is worse when the car is cold but can occur at any time. It can be quite alarming at a junction when you pull out and the car will not go properly!! I don't know whether it is a gearbox problem, an engine problem or something in the accelerator mechanism.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

I have a 56 plate ,2007 2.0 VVTI Auto T Spirit. I too have seen the issue you mentionduring a cold start. But I have not seen the sluggishness while taking off from signals, once the car is warm. My understanding of the sluggishness during a cold start is that the ECU and GearBox do not allow the engine to over-rev. I have also noticed that the idle rev on the car is very less compared to my older 1.6 4AFE( 1999 T reg) - the 4AFE used to rev at 1400 RPM while cold, but the 2.0 VVTi 1AZ revs at 1000 rpm - good fuel saving I reckon . :rolleyes: . Lesser Idle revs would mean some more time to pick up, couple of seconds - but I think this is the difference you are talking about.

The power band of the engine is in the higher range..

How frequently do you change the automatic transmission fluid?

I Had the same problem with an 05 T Spirit Auto , would quite often stall if trying to accelerate away from a junction etc , Mr T never managed to fix it so I went to a decent motor. Lexus , Try one you wont go back !! ;)

How frequently do you change the automatic transmission fluid?

The car has done 55k miles and not had the transmission fluid changed.

The sluggishness is not just when pulling away from stationary, but also when the car starts to go up a hill or incline. It just refuses to pick up speed even with the pedal almost to the floor. In desperation I change down to first gear manually and then it will rev quite freely.

I wondered if the intermittent nature of the problem might indicate some problem with a sensor somewhere?

Re the idea of getting a Lexus I will see if my local garage will let me swop mine for a new one!!!!

Cheers

I have exactly the same problem with my toyota avensis auto 55, the car has just done 21,000 miles but it becomes sluggishness not just when pulling away from stationary, but also when the car starts to go up a hill . It will not pick up the speed even with the pedal almost to the floor. i have contacted the toyota but they told me my car is not up for recall therefore i will have to pay £90 plus vat to fix it.

I have exactly the same problem with my toyota avensis auto 55, the car has just done 21,000 miles but it becomes sluggishness not just when pulling away from stationary, but also when the car starts to go up a hill . It will not pick up the speed even with the pedal almost to the floor. i have contacted the toyota but they told me my car is not up for recall therefore i will have to pay £90 plus vat to fix it.

What work are they going to do on it for £90?

Cheers,

George.

Well the funny thing is thats the price they quoted to me once I told them the problem over the phone, they did not say what was wrong with it (didn't know Mr T could diagnose over the phone)

will be interested to find out what the actual price will be as I am pretty sure it might any of the sensors