Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Will Not Idle Once Warmed Up

Younes

The engine is playing up, basically once the engine is warmed up, ie 1/4 to 1/2 way mark the car will not idle and just cut out. Its fine when cold.

Any ideas what it could be? Coolent temp sensor possibly? or Some kind of Idle control Valve?

Could be a faulty coolant temp sensor as you suspect. A simple test with a multi-meter should reveal is there are any problems.:)

The engine is playing up, basically once the engine is warmed up, ie 1/4 to 1/2 way mark the car will not idle and just cut out. Its fine when cold.

Any ideas what it could be? Coolent temp sensor possibly? or Some kind of Idle control Valve?

hi mate

i would clean MAF sensor + throttle first.

Cheers/Igor

hi mate

Cheers/Igor

Silly question but what does toyota refer to as the MAF sensor? I can see things like vacum control valve, intake air control valve would one of those be it?

hi mate

Cheers/Igor

Silly question but what does toyota refer to as the MAF sensor? I can see things like vacum control valve, intake air control valve would one of those be it?

it is Mass Air Flow meter

cheers/Igor

hi mate

Cheers/Igor

cheers/Igor

Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Air-Flow-Meter-VOLVO-280-212-007--203488.jpg

Thats a mass air flow meter... I see nothing like this on the car...

Have a look at this posting about egr cleaning this a maf on it. Although that maf is as fitted to the 2.2 d4d diesel I would expect it to be similar for the petrols.

hi mate

Cheers/Igor

cheers/Igor

If it's like the 1.8, it's built into the air filter lid. (similar to the one in the previously posted link from caveman)

hi mate

Cheers/Igor

cheers/Igor

If it's like the 1.8, it's built into the air filter lid. (similar to the one in the previously posted link from caveman)

There is no MAF and no EGR that I could see... anyone with a 2.0 VVTi can confirm???

Toyotas don't have that kind of MAF, it's a lot smaller. If you have a 2.0VVT-i (D4) it sure has a EGR and should have a MAF also.

11439-11587-full-toyota-mr2-zzw30-1800i-roadster-vvti-air-flow-meter-maf-air-sensor-1-663.jpg

There is no MAF and no EGR that I could see... anyone with a 2.0 VVTi can confirm???

The 2.0 vvti engine does NOT have a MAF sensor. I have had this confirmed by my local Toyota dealer. (I have a 2.0 vvti)