Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Want A Big Landcruiser So Need Advice

CelicaWannabe

I have had quite a few 4x4's including landrovers, jeeps etc. Three years ago I went looking for a landcruiser but could not find a diesel within my price range. Eventually I settled on a Nissan Patrol 3.0d. Its been a good car but I want to return to my initial desire to have a big LC Amazon diesel. ( I often carry 6 and have two dogs )

I definitely want a diesel , 4.2 but I have a couple of questions :-

NB: I have around £6-8k to spend

- Which is 'better; Auto or Manual ?

- Is a particular version ( 12v/24v ) worth getting

- Should age/mileage really be a worry

- Once my Nissan turbo failed and that cost me £800 to fix.. what are LC maintenance prices like.

Any other advice such as good websites etc.

Thanks

Pete

I have had quite a few 4x4's including landrovers, jeeps etc. Three years ago I went looking for a landcruiser but could not find a diesel within my price range. Eventually I settled on a Nissan Patrol 3.0d. Its been a good car but I want to return to my initial desire to have a big LC Amazon diesel. ( I often carry 6 and have two dogs )

I definitely want a diesel , 4.2 but I have a couple of questions :-

NB: I have around £6-8k to spend

- Which is 'better; Auto or Manual ?

- Is a particular version ( 12v/24v ) worth getting

- Should age/mileage really be a worry

- Once my Nissan turbo failed and that cost me £800 to fix.. what are LC maintenance prices like.

Any other advice such as good websites etc.

Thanks

Pete

Get a manual ,the auto sucks the power out of them.

12 volt is a little easier to work with.

Mileage should take 2nd place to maintenance records but get the lowest you can afford. Used landcruisers can come with big repair bills to get them up to scratch.

Pay attention to the front axle,brakes,diesel servicing,lubrication.

No such thing as a large cheap 4wd,see the bit about maintenance records.

Get a manual ,the auto sucks the power out of them....

Sorry mate I think that, although technically correct, is rubbish. In day to day driving and when using off road I am of the opinion that 'auto' is far better.

Obviously it is down to personal preference but if given the choice I would have auto everytime. When I had my LC120 the auto box was superb :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

You are not going to be short of power in the 4.2 even with auto. But as to the 12v 24 v debate, I think that 80s were all 12v in UK spec and only imports came in 24v? As imports they didn't get the front and rear diff locks. With the 12v it is essential that you make sure that BEBs are done or get them done. They go with little warning and then it's game over. They are cheap and easy to change so it's not an issue. As long as, that is, that you DO change them. With that budget, you can certainly get a nice 80. But you are straying into 100 series money there too and that's worth considering. There are forums that cover 80s extensively and most of these questions have been asked before. I drive a 90 SWB Colorado which is pretty heavily modified, but would love an 80. I keep sticking the money in the cookie jar.

Chris

an auto is the only way to go, much more comfertable to drive. they are hard to find in manual anyway. i think the amazons are all 12 volt but theres a relay the provides 24 volts to the starter when starting. high milage not much of an issue as long as it isnt excessively high. I personaly wouldnt consider anything with over 150k miles. Also make sure all the toys work on it including steering wheel adjustment

Actually the 12v 24v reference is to the number of valves. Not the electrics.

The 24 valve has a little more grunt and can be slightly more economical.

Most are in fact 24 volt start, but all are 12 volt running, you were correct there.

Chris

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links