Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt Goes Into Neutral While Stationary For A Long A Time

roses100

Hiya,

I haven't had my Yaris for long, it's a 2010 MMT model. I've noticed that when I'm stationary at the traffic lights for a long time my car will start beeping at me, then stick itself into neutral. Usually I sit in E/Drive at the lights as I know most of them will change soon. I drove in the same style with the Aygo, and it never stuck itself into neutral however long it was sitting stationary.

It's not a massive issue, but I was curious, so wondered if it has happened to anyone else here? I'll have a skim through the manual later though. Is this normal and just a feature of the Yaris?

Thanks

I'm no expert on auto gearboxes but i'd say thats what should be happening. You should be going into neutral after a few seconds anyway. Otherwise the engine will be burning more petrol while stationary as i tries to push against the brakes. It's slight but it would sure add up.

If you read your manual you will see that Toyota advise that you put the selector to neutral if you are stopped for a long time at lights etc.

From my memories when I had my MMT Yaris I always put it in neutral when stopped for more than just a few seconds :thumbsup:

If i ever got my hands on the guy that invented automatic transmission he would wish he had never been born

If i ever got my hands on the guy that invented automatic transmission he would wish he had never been born

Automatic transmission is the only option for several thousands of British motorists who, for many reasons are unable to drive cars with manual gearboxes. You should not dismiss the advantages it holds for many people.

I personally chose my MMT Yaris because I wanted to, and not because it was the only option.............I found the MMT system on my Yaris to be totally reliable and without fault.

Hi, thanks for the replies :) perhaps I'm a lazy driver then hehe. I agree with Red Yaris 54, especially people with physical disabilities, an auto gear box is a real life saver. I actually passed in a manual, but a break over 3/4 years and needing to get behind the wheel quickly has made me choose the MMT gearbox, and I've never looked back since!

Hi, thanks for the replies :) perhaps I'm a lazy driver then hehe. I agree with Red Yaris 54, especially people with physical disabilities, an auto gear box is a real life saver. I actually passed in a manual, but a break over 3/4 years and needing to get behind the wheel quickly has made me choose the MMT gearbox, and I've never looked back since!

Guy's this isn't an automatic gearbox on the yaris it's an autoshift clutch completely different concept.

Guy's this isn't an automatic gearbox on the yaris it's an autoshift clutch completely different concept.

I think we're getting a bit pedantic if we're into "how the gearbox works".

I fully understand that the Yaris MMT is basically an ordinary manual gearbox that is computer controlled (and I have a similar DSG gearbox on my Audi), but in a nutshell, as far as the general motoring public is concerned, it changes gear automatically for you, so its an automatic.....

Even the DVLA defines an automatic car simply by the fact that the car doesn't have a clutch pedal.

What's contained inside the gearbox casing may be different to traditional automatic boxes, but it still changes gear automatically and there's no clutch pedal - its automatic......

Manual FTW! :D

Actually, I don't mind automatics, but am not a big fan of semi-autos. The only one I've ever driven that didn't annoy me was in a VW Polo (DSG; Very smooth changes even if you're thrashing the pants off it :))

Haven't driven in a Toyota with the newer MMT so maybe they're improving, but the version that was in my generation of Yaris blew chunky juddery goats :yucky::lol:

It's a pity that real autos are declining due to stupid emissions regulations; You can't beat them for smooth shifts (Well, aside from CVTs, but I haven't driven one of those either! :( )

If i ever got my hands on the guy that invented the manual transmission he would wish he had never been born!

It's a pity that real autos are declining due to stupid emissions regulations; You can't beat them for smooth shifts

Well said that man!

Oh yes you can. The CVT I used to have had completely seamless shifts that no ordinary automatic could match - and it didn't have the power loss of an ordinary auto either....

Oh yes you can. The CVT I used to have had completely seamless shifts that no ordinary automatic could match - and it didn't have the power loss of an ordinary auto either....

On paper CVT is the perfect transmission, more efficient than a manual, and the smoothest transmission there is.

However, I'm not totally sold on the 'slipping clutch' sensation from driving them, when i've driven them I just don't like the sound of the engine revving waiting for the speed of the car to pick up, there is just something more acceptable about the sound of an engine changing revs is it changes though gears.

However, when we get near silent running electric cars where you can hardly hear them, CVT all the way!

I do admit though, these automated manuals are hopeless, just cheap to buy and fractionally better on fuel, but having driven a few, I think there !Removed! awful.

as far as the general motoring public is concerned, it changes gear automatically for you, so its an automatic.....
That may be true until it comes to having the car serviced or parts repaired it is then that you find out just how different an automatic gearbox is to an MMT. There are not many "automatic" cars that need a clutch replaced. An MMT will not creep (or hold on a hill) without your foot on a pedal. Yes the car changes gears automatically (and the V5 states automatic) but the driving technique you use and the service schedules are not the same.

The official designation of whether a car is an automatic or manual is whether it has a clutch pedal, regardless of whether the car actually has a clutch.

Hence you could drive the original Yaris freetronic (manual shift with no clutch pedal) on an automatic licence.

Hiya,

I haven't had my Yaris for long, it's a 2010 MMT model. I've noticed that when I'm stationary at the traffic lights for a long time my car will start beeping at me, then stick itself into neutral. Usually I sit in E/Drive at the lights as I know most of them will change soon. I drove in the same style with the Aygo, and it never stuck itself into neutral however long it was sitting stationary.

It's not a massive issue, but I was curious, so wondered if it has happened to anyone else here? I'll have a skim through the manual later though. Is this normal and just a feature of the Yaris?

Thanks

Hi - I have owned a Yaris MMT for 20k and was told I could leave it in gear at the lights (I always do) but keep foot on the footbreak - This disengages the clutch. The beep you hear, I believe, is warning you the clutch is overheating.