Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers Seat Replacement / Airbag

Andrew Kirkby

I've got an 07 plate aygo with about a week left on its warranty. I need to replace the driver seat in the car due to damage caused by a dog (Don't ask..!)

The seat removal should be fine but I'm wondering if there are any precautions I should take with the Airbag in the seat. I understand the device is coded to the air bag control unit so would it be best to take the current air bag out of the old seat and fit it to the replacement one before putting the seat in to the car or will the new air bag just register with the control unit itself?

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers!

Andy

AFAIK its an Urban Legend that Airbags are "coded" to your car...

It's good practice to disconnect the Battery and wait for at

least 90 seconds before messing with the Airbag connectors.

And when they're loose DO NOT TOUCH the metal bits inside.

A static discharge can be enough to pop the bag...

I though when disconnect the Battery you have to wait at least 20 minutes before disconnect the air bag? I could be wrong though lol.

How about dont let your dog in the car and how small is the dog cause it cant be much bigger than a jack Russel

they arent coded, easy to remove the seat and swap the bag just make sure you dont damage the clip under the seat when you disconnect it (stupid french design crap lol)

mart.

I though when disconnect the battery you have to wait at least 20 minutes

before disconnect the air bag? I could be wrong though lol.

Toyota doesn't really know either: in the AIM for the leather steering wheel they

mention 2 minutes, while the AIM for the seat heaters talks about 90 seconds or more...

I though when disconnect the battery you have to wait at least 20 minutes

before disconnect the air bag? I could be wrong though lol.

Toyota doesn't really know either: in the AIM for the leather steering wheel they

mention 2 minutes, while the AIM for the seat heaters talks about 90 seconds or more...

I never disconnect the Battery when removing airbags. As long as you dont go poking around the terminals with something metal you will be fine. And when you do remove an airbag make sure you leave it facing upwards (just incase it does go off you will be hit by the bag and not the metal bracketry at the rear).

Mart.