Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaky Boot!

Sadge

Thought I'd escaped the dreaded leaking problem but a couple of days ago I became aware that the car felt cold and damp; running my hand round the boot discovered that just behind the number plate inside was dripping wet, the carpet and underlay is wet and the edge of the spare tyre. Perhaps there's a puddle in the well. Also, the rear lights are full of condensation. :angry:

The Toyota guy said he'd never heard of leaking problems - suggested he visit here!

I Have it booked in on 19th so hope we don't have any more rain before then.

Thought I'd escaped the dreaded leaking problem but a couple of days ago I became aware that the car felt cold and damp; running my hand round the boot discovered that just behind the number plate inside was dripping wet, the carpet and underlay is wet and the edge of the spare tyre. Perhaps there's a puddle in the well. Also, the rear lights are full of condensation. :angry:

The Toyota guy said he'd never heard of leaking problems - suggested he visit here!

I Have it booked in on 19th so hope we don't have any more rain before then.

That guy sounds like a bit of a clown. Is there another garage you can take it to?

It may not be a leak. Soon after I got my Aygo I found it prone to condensation exactly where you describe, and described it here: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=103073&hl=

I'm pretty certain it's not a leak (not yet anyway); I've checked the area after heavy rain. But in certain atmospheric conditions, and with the car parked so the back end's in shade (ie cold) and the cabin's in sunshine (ie warm), then that rear boot panel is where any moisture in the air condenses out. I get a thin "smear" of water over the whole panel, not the dribble-with-a-puddle-underneath you'd expect from a leak. If I turn the car round so the back end's in the sun, open the window for a few minutes, then all's well again.

Cheers

Will let you know what happens. Unfortunately, it's just not convenient to go elsewhere but will see how I get on on the 19th.

I'm finding it very difficult to accept that something I've paid all this money for has faults that people just appear to accept as being OK. I've been driving for nearly 50 years, have had so many cars in that time I've lost count, those cars costing anything from a few quid to (relatively) a lot of money. Not one has ever leaked, had condensation, had ice inside, felt damp to get into, had faulty acceleration or other 'design' faults. Why I should have to park in a certain position relative to the sun is just not acceptable. Actually, when I park at home on my drive, the boot's in any sun there is and the front is slightly more in the shade, so that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

I've waited the best part of my life to have a brand new car and quite honestly what should have been a super experience of owning a new car is beginning to feel like a big mistake!

Oh well, rant over - I'll see what they say on 19th.

The boot carpet is an excellent sponge and once wet will not dry out due to lack of ventilation and warmth, especially in winter. Once it is wet it will weep water all over the boot and into the spare wheel well.

As you have a couple of weeks before you go to the dealer you need to take the carpet out and dry it, dry the boot completely, leave the carpet out and monitor the situation to identify if it is water ingress or condensation.

Our carpet was soaking wet due to snow from boots and a shovel we carried. Dried it out and all has been fine since.

The Aygo boot door (all glass) is a real pain in the a s s. :( :angry::unsure:

When you fully open it (i.e. turn it upside down) in wet weather, all the

rainwater runs directly into the boot - there is no effective rain channel.

But (touch wood) I've not found any leaks via any rubber seals, roof aerial,

boot lock or number plate etc. :thumbsup:

Sadge,sorry you are having so many problems.

I think it is fair to say that the Aygo is not the only car to suffer from a tendency to leak.Many other cars from many other manufacturers have had a known tendency to leak over the years.

It may be a PITA,but don't think just because you go off and buy a different car everything is goint to be perfect.

I've waited the best part of my life to have a brand new car and quite honestly what should have been a super experience of owning a new car is beginning to feel like a big mistake!

Welcome to the family. :D

Just had a bunch of work done under extended warranty on mine. They replaced boot seals, rear vents, rear light seals and boot lock. Most of the parts replaced are known problems to toyota, which is why they fit improved parts.

If you have the older shape Aygo & haven't had front door & boot seals replaced already, I strongly suggest taking the extended warranty out.

For us and ours, it was the high level brake light, which was replaced under warranty. The new ones don't bow outwards as much. Water was dripping in and running to the left when the car is parked in the gutter, soaking the carpets on the left under the lights...I immediately thought it was the lights which were to blame, but no. The funny thing was that I only discovered this on a frosty morning when the carpets were completely rigid and had to be lifted out like a solid sheet of hardboard!!!!

I also had a problem with my high level brake light which was letting in water, took the light off replaced the awful seal with a 3mm new one and replaced the 2 white plastic grommet (that's what Toyota call them) which the 2 screws fasten into so the light had a nice tight fit. Perfect since and i check it every week to make sure and still bone dry....Colin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links