Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crazy Mpg On 1l Yaris :s

persian boy

I've had this yaris for 3 years now and I always fill up (40 litres) and would get around 370/80 miles, however in the last 2/3 months i would say ive been getting maximum 260 miles out of a full tank and i worked out, thats about 29mpg :S! This is a one litre car we're talking about, when i first purchased the car (lady owner) it had average 48mpg on the trip but as im a young driver it went down to 42mph and it still says 42mpg but getting 29mph is just crazy for a 1l. The car is in perfect condition and just got serviced last month so i dont have a clue what the problem is.

thanks in advance

I think you have answered your own question, the clue is in the last 2/3 months - the coldest period in over 30 years(even down south in 'that there London'!) which equates to longer warming up periods therefore consuming more fuel. I wouldn't worry as when the weather warms up your mpg I'm sure will return to normal.

Stan is bang on with this....My MPG has been terrible for the past few months because of this weather! :censor: (I hate the winter)

Today was actually good, as the weather was nice and sunny and quite warm, i was getting 40-50mpg and had it up to 56mpg at one point! :thumbsup:

Don't worry, it will get better when you don't need to use the heaters, lights, wipers, heated rear screen all the time. :lol:

Roll on summer!! :yahoo:

ahh thanks for help guys the warmer it gets the better coz my student loan is for partying not petrol money :D

ahh thanks for help guys the warmer it gets the better coz my student loan is for partying not petrol money :D

:lol: Nice one! :thumbsup:

I find all this talk of MPG funny as, someone always says they get 12 mpg,driving like a nun wearing helium slippers, whilst someone else says they get 120mpg and drive like a loony in lead filled doc martens!

I get studid amounts sometimes, either very low or rather high. The main thing is what it will return over a course of months, even yeras, not on a drive or two. Surprisingly (or not) the slower you go, the more you will use. AT pull-away and driving at or around 20mph, you will use more than driving constantly at around 45-55mph. Then, after that, you will start to see the mpg drop off again and a smaller engine will do more work to drive faster so a 2L engine should be more efficient than a 1L engine at high-ish (motorway) speeds, I now have A diesel skoda, 1.4L that easily tops the Yaris 1L I had by 10mpg as a learner car and should get even better at motorway speeds too. The learners always sem to get lower mpg than I do, although I drive quicker as I get up to speeed and better economy, quicker and see situations developing sooner, getting off the gas earlier.

How you drive can make SO much difference, you would be amazed!

• 2 months later...

I find all this talk of MPG funny as, someone always says they get 12 mpg,driving like a nun wearing helium slippers, whilst someone else says they get 120mpg and drive like a loony in lead filled doc martens!

I get studid amounts sometimes, either very low or rather high. The main thing is what it will return over a course of months, even yeras, not on a drive or two. Surprisingly (or not) the slower you go, the more you will use. AT pull-away and driving at or around 20mph, you will use more than driving constantly at around 45-55mph. Then, after that, you will start to see the mpg drop off again and a smaller engine will do more work to drive faster so a 2L engine should be more efficient than a 1L engine at high-ish (motorway) speeds, I now have A diesel skoda, 1.4L that easily tops the Yaris 1L I had by 10mpg as a learner car and should get even better at motorway speeds too. The learners always sem to get lower mpg than I do, although I drive quicker as I get up to speeed and better economy, quicker and see situations developing sooner, getting off the gas earlier.

How you drive can make SO much difference, you would be amazed!

i really like when people talks about mpg..esp when its related to yaris.. i believe what you said is true, it depends on how we drive our car, how we press the pedal etc.. for my yaris, full tank, driving @80km/h everyday to work, distance travelled 650KM. i only fill my gas tank once in two weeks ;P

Also, give it a good thrashing on the motorway occasionally to clear out all the crap in the engine that may have accumulated.

The thrashing bit is true but be sure to have a healthy engine first... You wouldn't want to try to run a marathon with a dickie ticker! :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links