Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking At Getting A T-sport

ses6jwg

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum, and new to Toyotas tbh, nobody in my family has ever owned one!

I've currently got a Skoda Fabia VRS 2004, remapped, couple of mods etc.

It's a good car, I've had it around 2 1/2 years, however the clutch is starting to go now, and whilst I have been doing a 40 mile commute for the past 3 years I've now secured a job which is a 5 minute walk down the road, meaning my driving miles will drop drastically.

I've been looking around at a few cars, and the T Sport has caught my eye.

I don't really want anything slower than my current car, I have a 2 year old daughter so need some space, and need something reasonable on insurance (21 driving 3 1/2 years but 0 ncb)

The T Sport seems to fit the bill.

I've been doing some digging around, and for my maximum 6k budget including (an assumed) 4k trade in on my Fabia I can pick up an 04/54 plate with about 50k on the clock? I might have to go to a dealer as the clutch on my Fabia is on its way out making it unsuitable for private sale.

Does anyone have any tips on common faults, problems I should be looking out for on the T Sport? Am I about on the money with regards to price?

I've decided it MUST be a facelift, as apologies to any pre-facelift owners but I think they're fugly :o

Here are some pics of my Fabia and any help greatly appreciated :)

P1000836.jpg

P1000829.jpg

Usual tips really....

check Lift engages, test both seats as seat pins can go...

£6k should get you a decent FL with 50k or less miles...

I have 2 kids, 5 & 4 yrs old, plenty of room for us all :thumbsup:

But the FL does only come in a 3 door spec, so if you want 5 doors, you either have to go PFL or get a different car....

Does he say he's looking for a 5 door? :huh:

:lol:

I think I will manage with a 3 door as the doors do seem to be quite big and the car seat will not be coming in and out.

I've read a bit about this "Lift" - what is it?

Is it like Vtec?

I've become so used to pootling along changing up at 4k I've forgotten how to drive a petrol :rolleyes:

No Gaz he didn't mention it at all. But he has a 5 foor currently, and a small child, so it is highly likely that for convenience, he may want to keep using a 5 door car.

I think I will manage with a 3 door as the doors do seem to be quite big and the car seat will not be coming in and out.

I've read a bit about this "Lift" - what is it?

Is it like Vtec?

I've become so used to pootling along changing up at 4k I've forgotten how to drive a petrol :rolleyes:

On the test drive make sure the engine is fully warmed up then prepare to scare the salesman! :lol:

At 6,200rpm it switches cam profiles and dumps another 50bhp or so into play... that surge is Lift B)

As for 'Vtec' and 'Honda' we don't like that sort of language on here :angry:

:lol:

I've decided it MUST be a facelift, as apologies to any pre-facelift owners but I think they're fugly :o

That is ok, you can have a facelift. And then when you end up being yet another Grey T-Sport owner you can join the droves of boring sameness that goes on with them. Enjoy the individuality! Wooooo.

PS, I think your Fabia is fugly, :o but then I guess if I say appologies its all good!? hahaha.

As for your budget, for 6k id be wanting a 2006 with 30-40k on the clocks. If you settle for older with more miles your not getting a bargain. Too many over priced T-Sports being sold at the moment.

Gaz's explanation is almost correct, but its also wrong. Its called lift because the high 'Lift' cam lobes engage at that RPM. The surge of power is called ............a surge of power! lol

On a slightly less arrogant note, welcome to the forum, I hope you find the right car for the right money that suits your needs! Happy hunting.

That is ok, you can have a facelift. And then when you end up being yet another Grey T-Sport owner you can join the droves of boring sameness that goes on with them. Enjoy the individuality! Wooooo.

PS, I think your Fabia is fugly, :o but then I guess if I say appologies its all good!? hahaha.

As for your budget, for 6k id be wanting a 2006 with 30-40k on the clocks. If you settle for older with more miles your not getting a bargain. Too many over priced T-Sports being sold at the moment.

Gaz's explanation is almost correct, but its also wrong. Its called lift because the high 'Lift' cam lobes engage at that RPM. The surge of power is called ............a surge of power! lol

On a slightly less arrogant note, welcome to the forum, I hope you find the right car for the right money that suits your needs! Happy hunting.

It's OK, I appreciate Fabias are not the best looking cars around but then again nor are Corollas but I seem to have a "thing" for ugly/ awkward looking cars?

I guess what draws me to the T Sport is kind of what drew me to the Fabia.

They are a bit quirky and you dont see many around amongst the masses of Fiesta STs, Corsa SRIs and Civic Type Rs.

Will I really be able to get an '06 for 6k?!

And the high Lift cam generates a surge in power... commonly known on here as Lift :P

Either way we're describing the same thing! :lol:

i will probably get flamed for this but i would go get a subaru.

the reason being unless you can live with 3 doors, a 5 door car is going to be at least 6 years old. For that, a subaru is better value and faster.

if you can live with 3 doors then i don't think a t sport will be much of an upgrade from what you have already. I used to have a golf anniversary 150PD, that felt quick, the lack of torque might be something that you are not used too in the cts.

Fabia looks nice :thumbsup:

You might want to put a clutch in it and sell it privately if you want your assumed value, the trade typically like modded cars even if it does improve them :)

It's OK, I appreciate Fabias are not the best looking cars around but then again nor are Corollas but I seem to have a "thing" for ugly/ awkward looking cars?

Its ok I went fro ma Rover 200 to a Rolla! haha. Ugly cars FTW.

Totally..... in 2008 I got my 2003 model with 40k on the clock for £3,600. That was before the money crisis. So add in your extra funds I'd be royally ****** off if I couldnt get the newer lower mileage car. No way would I pay 6k for a car I consider is worth no more than £4.7/4.9k

People on here have paid over the odds for T-Sports, they just wont admit it. Just get hunting and wear the dealer/seller down to the price you want. Remember they want you money more than you need their car! (Id say just drive away but your clutch might give way haha)

Anyway, you cant call this 'fugly'................

Photo0012.jpg

That's fugly... :P :lol:

i will probably get flamed for this but i would go get a subaru.

the reason being unless you can live with 3 doors, a 5 door car is going to be at least 6 years old. For that, a subaru is better value and faster.

if you can live with 3 doors then i don't think a t sport will be much of an upgrade from what you have already. I used to have a golf anniversary 150PD, that felt quick, the lack of torque might be something that you are not used too in the cts.

Nice suggestions to be fair. But coming from a modified diesel myself, the driver involvement of the T-Sport engine makes up for the lack of torque.

But the real issue would be insurance on a Subaru, I dont imagine it would be anywhere near cheap for a guy his age and level of NCB.

The doors maybe quite big but you are correct when you say "The car seat will not be coming out" especially when those seat pins break on the Van like 3 door.....

Quite how you can call the PFL fugly is beyond me with that Fabia, how on earth can a car like that start with "Fab" ?

Anyways, each to their own as i always say, good luck with the van hunting... :thumbsup:

TBH I don't think anyone would buy either a Fabia or a Corolla based on their looks...

What is all this stuff about seat pins?

Are they the things you pull up to drop the seat forward?

Are they a big job to replace if they go wrong?

Lol, we need to agree that the PFL is no worse than the Fabia. But then the FL isnt a world apart from either of them. Theyre all nice IMHO.

Ses, you werent in Northampton last Friday were you?! I swear theres an exact car like that that was in KFC eating my Texican Boxstar wrap. Or are the mods a common approach on the Fab owners ?

Seat pins = allow the seat to slide forward once the seat is tilted. If they break you simply have to pull the level on the underside of the seat to move it manually.

Not looking to start, but I think you'd be very lucky to get one at that price, Parkers lists an 05 (don't know why no newer!) on a private sale for just under £7k, for independent dealers add £600 to that. I've also had a quick look on Autotrader and that seems to be a bit cheaper than Parkers valuation, just under £7k for 05 with 25k-50k mileage, I realise this doesn't take into account a degree of haggling, but I think nearly a grand off would be very lucky indeed.

Just my opinion, but have a look for youself at what you can get, and near where you are (unless you like to roam the country for a car!!)

:)

I have a 3 door and I have no problem getting my girlfriends dog cage in and out of the car, so a baby seat should be no problem.

If you want a 5 door get a sporty saloon

Hot hatch = 3 Door

i paid 6k a a year ago for my facelift with 26k.

What did u have before that?