Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noob With A Quick Mr2 Engine Qustion

weasle1uk

ok i have reading these forums for a while now and have read about the different revisions but i am needing some advice.

can anyone tell me which of the UK released, N/A Mr2s have the better/more powerfull engine and gearbox.

i am needing this as i am looking to fit a Mr2 engine into a different car (please dont ask what car as i am not going to tell lol)

Thank for your help

ok i have reading these forums for a while now and have read about the different revisions but i am needing some advice.

can anyone tell me which of the UK released, N/A Mr2s have the better/more powerfull engine and gearbox.

i am needing this as i am looking to fit a Mr2 engine into a different car (please dont ask what car as i am not going to tell lol)

Thank for your help

Best talk to ROGUE Motorsport - they're really helpful - Roguesystems.co.uk

If you are doing a job like that then why not go down the import turbo route? More BHP for your money!

@JappyBeast: because the the car it going in is light if i went for the turbo option there is a risk that nose may rise when the turbo kicks in. hence i would prefer N/A

Early Rev1 3S-FE - circa 120bhp 1989/90

Late Rev1 +Rev2 3S-GE - 158bhp 1990 -1994

Rev3/4/5 3S-GE - 178bhp 1994 - 1999

Late very rare Rev5 beams engine 200bhp. (not sure if these were jap import only). 1998/9

I think that about right.

Hope that helps you out buddy :thumbsup:

Mo

If you want a nice N/A the Aristo RS200 "beams" has a good engine, same 3S block as the MR2 but twin VVTi.

I fancy an Mr2 with a high revving one of these on throttle bodies :)

same 3S block as the MR2 but twin VVTi.

does that mean i could get MR2 S3 engine for now and at a later date bolt a VVTi head to it?

@JappyBeast: because the the car it going in is light if i went for the turbo option there is a risk that nose may rise when the turbo kicks in. hence i would prefer N/A

Stick a splitter on it and stop whining! Go for a turbo! :P ;)

as tempting as it is dont think i want to risk it lol

I'd still be tempted with a turbo, you can always turn the boost down and use a good progressive controller!!

Charlie . . it would be nice but i don't think the twin VVTi will actually fit in a MkII don't think it will clear suspension tower, unless on some custom engine mounts n shifted over the the near side a bit.

Mo

I'd still be tempted with a turbo, you can always turn the boost down and use a good progressive controller!!

Charlie . . it would be nice but i don't think the twin VVTi will actually fit in a MkII don't think it will clear suspension tower, unless on some custom engine mounts n shifted over the the near side a bit.

Mo

I will have to have a think about it. there is also the expense and size limits to consider, I think i would struggle to fit a inter-cooler in where there is free flowing air but could get round that by using a charge-cooler instead.

N/A cars seem to be alot cheaper and the power should be more evenly spread through the gears when compared to the Turbo.

also the N/A would need less room so it would be easier to make fit

Can a VVTi head be bolted to a any S3? (for a future upgrade lol)

hehe fair enough mate.

If you get the handling sorted properly, you would be surprised at how much power its safe to put through a car... :D

• 1 month later...

Ok thanks

Think im going to go for the "Rev3/4/5 3S-GE - 178bhp 1994 - 1999"

will be buying a complete car and selling off the parts i dont need.

I think it might be easier transplanting the complete/majority of the mr2 wiring loom into the project car.

Or try and make a loom myself.

anyone got any experience doing this sort of thing?

Thank in advance

Drop the whole loom in and trim off what you don't need once you're satisfied it is all working as you want it.

i have made custom looms in the past but i wouldn't advise it, if it's the first time you've tackled something like this.

Also the MR2 loom does split quite nicely in the passenger footwell behind the kick panel, so essentially it is 2 looms joined together so that is also worth considering.

Mo

Cheers "mister_mo"

thought that may of been the easier way.

I wasnt to keen on the idea of making a full loom lol