Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What's Happening To Petrol Prices?

Grumpy Cabbie

122.9p a litre for unleaded at a main garage in Harrogate!

What the heck is happening with fuel prices? They're going up daily. I know the Prius helps but it wasn't this bad back in 2008 was it?

It's not only tax, its the fall in sterling that has affected oil prices and the resulting petrol hikes. The trouble is, if sterling moves the other way, we all know it takes longer for the oil companies to react.

I think that there is also an element of regionalisation of petrol prices. Years ago, I can remember that there was a strong campaign in our local newspaper because the two large filling stations in town were charging a lot higher than many other parts of the country. Eventually one cracked from the pressure and the other one soon followed. Now I think our prices are lower than in other parts of the country - I certainly noticed this when I picked my car up in South Wales a month ago. Now I can understand that petrol stations in remote parts of Scotland are going to be more expensive, because of the cost of getting the petrol up there, but I cannot see why different parts of the country which may be equal distances from a refinery (not necessarily the same one) should have significantly different prices.

The current increases are as a result of a combination of factors - sterling, tax, retailers faced with increased overheads themselves and lower sales per customer due to more fuel efficient cars resulting in lower profit margins. Thus everyone in the supply chain (and Government) are happy to take their cut, whilst blaming others for the increase. The Government is in a weak position because it needs the money and with an election looming any protest made to those in the supply chain by Government would not be taken seriously. There won't be any stabilisation until a few months after the election (assuming that there is not a hung parliament). I can't see prices falling again though until alternative powered cars become really mainstream - that will take years.

What the heck is happening with fuel prices? They're going up daily. I know the Prius helps but it wasn't this bad back in 2008 was it?

Ouch. It's gone up since I bought some at 113.9 at the Shell garage in Ripon Road in Harrogate last Friday. That's a big change in a week.

It's impressive that most of the rise in fuel duty has been deferred until after the election. I think the government thinks we are a bit stupid, won't notice, and will vote for them. When people come canvassing, ask them what they are going to do.

Ouch. It's gone up since I bought some at 113.9 at the Shell garage in Ripon Road in Harrogate last Friday. That's a big change in a week.

It's impressive that most of the rise in fuel duty has been deferred until after the election. I think the government thinks we are a bit stupid, won't notice, and will vote for them. When people come canvassing, ask them what they are going to do.

It wasn't the Shell garage - they're one of, if not the cheapest in town.

I really can't wait until the canvassers arrive. :yahoo: Are they gonna get it.

It wasn't the Shell garage - they're one of, if not the cheapest in town.

I really can't wait until the canvassers arrive. :yahoo: Are they gonna get it.

I'd sort of assumed that, if any garage was selling at 113.9, the general level in your area was lower than here. My usual Shell garage in Cambridge was 117.9 just before that and I don't think any others of them had hit your 122.9. One or two have now though.

I'm surprised that Shell fuel is usually around the cheapest, as IMHP it's one of the best. Not complaining though.

Ah the joy of baiting canvassers!

BTW I saw a red Prius taxi in Swaffham this evening, as I left the chippie. So the word is spreading.

I have stopped filling up at Shell now, it was 118.9 today, didnt even used to pay this much for V-Power. Tesco and BP are the cheapest here, was 11.7.9 yesdays, the prices are increasing daily it seems, wont be suprised if it hits 120.9 by tuesday

Oh Lord the world is ending - petrol has today hit £1.28 a litre in town!!! :help:

• 1 month later...

You think things are bad here - its €1.56 in Greece - thats just about £1.30 a litre.

You think things are bad here - its €1.56 in Greece - thats just about £1.30 a litre.

It is down a bit locally this week. I filled up for 117.9p/litre at our local Shell station yesterday.

You must have it bad in your town then mate, it's been at £113.9 for the last week here but doesn't seem to be going any lower.

Petrol prices here in Cyprus have just come down a couple of cents. 95 octane is now €1-02. Which is about the same as £UK 0.88p a litre.

The strange thing is that here diesel is about 5% less than petrol.

Trev..

You must have it bad in your town then mate, it's been at £113.9 for the last week here but doesn't seem to be going any lower.

thats the same price at a Shell garage in NORWICH today, at long stratton a few miles away on A140 its 6p a ltr

dearer also Shell garage.

maybe the dearer garage brought the fuel in when prices were higher and if they sell at lower price the losing out

so they cant be blamed.

if they brought fuel at lower price would they sell cheaper if retail price went up, not likly.

Cheapest in Cambridge is 119.9. I always try to buy in Norwich when I can, as it's always 5 or 6 pence cheaper. Sadly I can't get there often enough.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links