Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'09 Yaris Sr 1.8

K19NE G

Hi, my girlfriend wants to trade her 56 reg 1.3 Yaris T3 in for something a bit newer and more powerful with a budget of about £10k. She can't find a Mini (which is what she really wants) with the right spec and age for that money and cars she likes like the new Fiesta Zetec and Polo are all out of reach... so I suggested the Yaris SR 1.8 - I think it looks awesome with the wheels and subtle sports kit and lights and what I also didn't realise is they are great value! Looking at £9 to £9.5k for a 3 door in grey with about 10,000 miles, tints, keyless start and hopefully we can find one with bluetooth.

Now I've rambled on I need some opinions - I've searched the forums and found a few older posts but has anyone lived with one for over a year? Other than higher tax and insurance costs are there any horror stories!? :unsure: Thanks in advance...

Gary

Great cars, I don’t think they come with a 09 plate? 08 and maybe an early 58 then it was discontinued. Tax is high, they also use a lot of oil.

Hi Gary,

I've owned mine for just over a year now and have had no problems as expected with a Japanese Toyota (1.8SR only one in range built in Japan:)

Things I've noted are that mine will do 36-38 mpg in mainly town driving and 44mpg on a run (maybe more if I drive like a granny lol), it drinks oil a fair bit so you'll need to check oil regularly like reece said. Its got enough poke though to have some fun for a warm hatch :)

Hope that helps :)

How much more poke does she want from this car compared to her previous one? I'm guessing it's the Cooper version of the Mini she had her heart set on?

The 1.8 SR is a pretty handsome looking beast but as I'm sure you're aware, despite the big engine the performance isn't up to much, even for a warm hatch it's poor. And having owned a Japanese built 2005 t-sport, I personally don't believe the 'Japanese built cars are better than the French built cars' argument, but some people think it adds kudos.

I know you say you want more power - but have a look at the "ordinary" 2008 SR model and see if you can interest her...

The 2008 model had 16" Toyota Motorsport Pitlane alloy wheels, lowered suspension, roof spoiler, front fog lights, front door scuff plates, in-built sat nav with touch screen, bluetooth phone connection, USB MP3 connection and the option to easily integrate a proper iPod controlling it through the touch scheen display too...

You could get the SR trim in the 1.3 petrol and also the 1.4 diesel.

She might be happy enough with the 1.3 engine when she sees the rest of the car and you could consider the 1.4 diesel option which has more power & accelerates faster, if she can live with the idea of a diesel.

Bear in mind the above is for the 2008 model only. The 2007 and 2009 SR models had different specs - only 15" wheels, no sat nav, no lowered suspension, no bluetooth, no USB.

We liked them so much - we bought two!

1.8 SRs are around on '09 plate, Motorpoint have got a boat load in My link

Thanks for the comments peeps. It's definitely the 1.8 she's after as it's the only one in the range that has that bodykit/wheels combo. She already has the 1.3 T3 so the 1.8 is the next petrol engine size up! We're negotiating with Arnold Clark on a '09 3dr in grey, rear tints, keyless entry & start with 12k on the clock... B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links