Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina Key Fob/remote Help Required

BarneyTT

My key fob or remote to lock/unlock and arm the alarm system has started to play up by not always working. I'm hoping it's just the Battery within the remote but suspect it might be the button itself. Anyway a couple of questions:

How does the fob/remote come apart? I thought they just popped apart by gentle prising but mine isn't budging and as it's the only one I have so I don't want to break it.

Are the remote fobs repairable or can they be replaced at Toyota (almost afraid to ask :o )

Attached a picture of remote fob in question (apologies for quality)

post-15038-1267867322_thumb.jpg

Can anyone help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I too have been wondering how the remote comes apart for when I have to replace the Battery. My remote is the same as yours. I have tried levering but it won't budge. There appears to be a catch where the small strap is attached but I don't want to force this in case it snaps.

Something I noticed today is that the word 'Toyota' is a sticky strip. If you gently pick at the right hand side of this it lifts up revealing what looks like a screw. I haven't tried to unscrew it as it could be something to do with tuning the frequency of the remote? Maybe, maybe not. Surely someone knows?!

Ok, problem solved! I bit the bullet and tried unscrewing the screw which I said in my post yesterday could be something to do with the tuning frequency - it was!! :censor:

The remote wouldn't lock the car now but a quick twiddle about with this screw soon got it back up and running so a close call there :thumbsup:

I concentrated on the piece which attaches the strap onto the fob - I was correct in thinking that this was the locking tab. Look at the attached photo, get a screwdriver and insert it from underneath so it pokes out the top of the tab. Then carefully apply a levering motion and with another screwdriver prise open the slot on that end. It is snapped in very well so some force is needed - the plastic seems quite strong here. That end of the fob will now pop open.

The top end (where the led is) is just a press fit in with a very shallow tab there. Just a little twisting force in the slot there is needed, you will now have the cover off! :yahoo:

The Battery is an A23 (mine is a Varta marked V23GA) and is 12 volts alkaline.

Use some WD40 on the terminals to clean; the red and black rubber buttons just lift off so remove these and check no gunk is underneath them.

Before replacing the cover make sure the led comes on when pressing the button, sometimes the Battery won't mate so twiddle it around until it does. It seems on my one the 'bubble' on the negative tag doesn't align with the Battery properly.

Reassembly is the reverse but be careful with the side switch. It is best to put the little black sliding switch onto the circuit board switch before putting the cover back on. Then line it all up, making sure the battery is sitting squarely and snap the case shut - job done. Obviously test all the functions now.

I still don't know what the three pin socket is for - maybe for plugging a meter in and retuning via the screw?

Hope this is of help to anyone else who wants to replace the battery but doesn't want to pay a fortune at the garage to have it done!

post-92157-126960519317_thumb.jpg

Thanks Quartz, very helpful and informative. :thumbsup: Have you found any improvement since the Battery change and a clean up?

I spoke to Toyota about the alarm fob whilst booking my Supra in for a service and basically Scorpion, the maker of the alarm system, is long gone and no spares are available, so the only solution is to replace the old system for modern day aftermarket one :crybaby:

My solution will be to try and keep my fob working if at all possible!

My fob was working OK anyway, I just wanted to know how it came apart!

I imagine the fobs are quite reliable so there is no reason it will break, unless something physical happens to it.

Is your one OK now, did you manage to take it apart?

Is your one OK now, did you manage to take it apart?

It seems to play up in spells, fine for ages then it becomes slightly eratic. A while after starting this thread it started working fine again so I have bottled it in regards of taking it apart :eek: But I have a replacement Battery at the ready as it will need coming apart sooner rather than later I sure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links